Author Topic: Weekend Update 11/14/21  (Read 3532 times)

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1180
Re: Weekend Update 11/14/21
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2021, 06:53:59 PM »
+1
Changed the name because most men couldn't find it .........

Now THAT is funny!
+1!
Otto

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +630
Re: Weekend Update 11/14/21
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2021, 05:38:04 AM »
+2
Maybe @robert3985 would be interested in those two UP locos?

The UP Mikes...or "Macs" are really nice models.  UP did little to them except install a fat "Sweeney Stack" on some of them to improve their smokebox performance, which the model includes...a very nice touch. 

However, I've got five of 'em, which is plenty for my modeling purposes.

Photo (1) - Stock Overland UP-ized USRA Mikado, well-weathered on the Park City Branchline:

I sold off my last Overland Big Boy about 12 years ago.  I never could get them to pull very well.  Only two things I miss about them (1) The ease with which brass models can be modified and superdetailed, and (2) the correct engine articulation as opposed to ALL plastic models of Big Boys.  Level of detail on Athearn plastic Big Boys is generally sharper and "crisper" than on the brass models with some notable exceptions...unless you strip the brass Big Boys, solder on extra details and paint them with one coat of Scale Coat II.  Athearn Big Boys pull much better, run as good, but have that damned "monkey motion" articulation which makes the back of the cab hang out rather than the smokebox.  Ah well...trade offs for mass sales and small track radii. 

So, nope, don't need a brass Big Boy thank you.

However, I appreciate the thought, but right now, I there aren't any N-scale UP brass models that I am in need of.

As far as SP engines are concerned, I have an associate who is willing to pay "top dollar" for a Lik-MORE unskirted GS-2.  So, if anybody out there has one and needs some Christmas cash, get in touch with me.

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore