Author Topic: Problem With Bare Metal Foil Clear Decal Paper  (Read 740 times)

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
  • Respect: +153
Problem With Bare Metal Foil Clear Decal Paper
« on: November 10, 2021, 09:05:35 PM »
I'm having an issue with Bare Metal Foil clear decal paper for inkjet printers.  The images print fine but when I try to apply the decal to a model, it curls up big time and I can't stop it.  I tried using Micro Scale setting solutions but to no avail.  I also coated the decals with Micro Scale Decal Film prior to application  No matter how much I try and smooth the decal out, it still curls.  I've even worked at it for nearly 30 minutes and still it curls up.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I was told BMF was the "Gold Standard" for inkjet printed decals but it ain't workin' for me.

Doug
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 09:24:51 PM by BCR751 »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4529
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Problem With Bare Metal Foil Clear Decal Paper
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2021, 10:11:19 PM »
While the BMF decal paper for laser is my go-to paper for printing with my Alps printer, I have never used the ink jet version.

I wonder if the clear sealer you are using is the problem. As I understand, modelers using this paper usually use clear acrylic spray lacquer, or the clear sealer spray that came with the Testors decal system to seal the ink.  Maybe even Glosscote or Dullcote would be worth a try.
. . . 42 . . .

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2021, 10:35:05 PM »
Well, the BMF package for the paper says to use Micro Scale Liquid Decal Film after printing so that's what I used.  They even have it for sale on the package.  I put on two heavy coats thinking that would be adequate.  Maybe not.  I don't believe I'm the only one to have had this problem.  Hopefully someone that uses the inkjet paper will chime in.

Doug
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 01:29:47 PM by BCR751 »

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1315
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2021, 01:48:40 AM »
Yes, I also tried their decal paper, both the clear and the white.  The one sheet of each I used curled, and, while all I used was Solvaset, I don't think it was the setting solution.  In fact, it curled just as much using just water.

It worked fine, as far as the printing went, but applying the decals was a real pain. 
N Kalanaga
Be well

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4135
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2021, 06:15:30 PM »
Sunnyscopa is the best decal film paper, hands down.  Use that instead.

Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2021, 09:05:23 PM »
Tried it again, this time with a lighter coating of the Micro Scale Liquid Decal Film.  I let the decals dry overnight.  I then re-applied them, one at a time, over a coating of Micro Set solution, using a small brush to continuously smooth them out to reduce the tendency for curling.  They did try to curl but patience with the brush and more Micro Set did the trick.  I let them dry for about ten minutes and then applied Micro Sol, again lightly brushing along the edges to prevent curling.  They dried in about five minutes and there was no more curling.  I let them stand for a couple of hours and there was no curling after that time.  I think two light coats of a sealer (I used Micro Scale Liquid Decal Film) and a whole lot of patience may be the answer.

Doug