Author Topic: NCE Powercab, Anyone else notice this?  (Read 258 times)

LIRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +1171
NCE Powercab, Anyone else notice this?
« on: November 07, 2021, 09:56:26 AM »
This in puzzling and annoying but certainly not a problem….

If If I turn on the system, the previous loco will already be selected, but it runs backwards and I need to deselect…

I also have 6 addresses preloaded in the RECALL loop, but sometimes one of them will run backwards when recalled and I need to reselect…

NDave

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
Re: NCE Powercab, Anyone else notice this?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 01:12:20 PM »
Been using my NCE PowerCab since 2017, currently with 5 locos in the recall stack. I have never seen what you are describing (selected locos run backwards). I do occasionally see the recall stack drop one of my locos numbers, replacing with a random loco number. This most often occurs after the system shuts down/restarts from/after a short, but occasionally after a normal shutdown/restart.

Have you tried resetting the PowerCab to it's factory defaults?

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +432
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2021, 02:57:45 PM »
Are you sure it's the PowerCab and not the loco (decoder)?

I've seen something similar (not sure if it's the same) on locos where I've set the CV to change default direction to be reverse.  When I first apply power to the engine after it being off the track it doesn't behave right until I send a direction (forward/reverse) command.  I always assumed it was the decoder, not my PowerCab.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 06:49:00 PM by nickelplate759 »
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +1724
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2021, 03:00:18 PM »
I've had decoders glitch and do strange things like cause other locos to move when they were not commanded to do so. In one instance I quickly traced it to a single loco, reset and reprogrammed the decoder, and the problem went away.

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1242
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2021, 04:02:04 PM »
do you have the ability to purge the command station at startup?

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +365
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2021, 07:06:44 PM »
Regarding "resetting the command station": Don't do that if you have a PowerCab with version 1.65 software (chip)!!!

If you have version 1.65B software, then no problem with resets.  But the 1.65 without the "B" will revert to 1.28 capabilities if you do a reset.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2880
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2021, 08:13:38 PM »
The Power Cab's display shows which direction is currently selected (FOR or REV).  When you power the unit back up, does the display show different direction setting then before it was powered down?

Is this problem persistent (repeatable every time you power cycle), or intermittent?  Also, are the affected locos part of a consist on that Power Cab?
. . . 42 . . .