Author Topic: Kato flex track  (Read 1291 times)

Mike C

• Crew
  • Respect: +144
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 08:36:00 PM by GaryHinshaw »

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +561
Re: Kato flex track
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 03:49:01 PM »
It would be more "flexible" in the sense of where and how it could be used if it did not require a special transition section between each piece of flex track and sectional track to join them.

I don't have any Kato flex track to play with, but I am thinking that the transition piece is not really necessary.  Why not just pull the Kato sectional joiner off the one side and use the flex track joiners to connect the flex track directly to any piece of sectional track?

Englewood

• Crew
  • Respect: +260
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 04:35:04 PM »
I seem to recall that this will have rails made with Kato's secret metal formula?
If it's true, I'll finish my layout with the stuff!

brill27mcb

• Crew
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 04:57:54 PM »
It would be more "flexible" in the sense of where and how it could be used if it did not require a special transition section between each piece of flex track and sectional track to join them.

I don't have any Kato flex track to play with, but I am thinking that the transition piece is not really necessary.  Why not just pull the Kato sectional joiner off the one side and use the flex track joiners to connect the flex track directly to any piece of sectional track?

You are correct. This is actually Kato's adapter to mate with Tomix Fine Track sectional track with roadbed, and it is not really necessary for that, either. It simply has the connector on the proper side, plus a shelf to support the connected track. You could shim it up yourself.

Rich K.
Tomix / EasyTrolley Modelers' Website
www.trainweb.org/tomix
N-Gauge Model Trolleys and Their History
www.trainweb.org/n-trolleys

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +561
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 08:37:51 PM »
So then it could be done with any flex track.  The Kato flex stuff probably best matches the "look" of Kato sectional track and switches.  And maybe it has that magic alloy rail that doesn't oxidize as fast?

ncbqguy

• Crew
  • Respect: +384
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 08:58:57 PM »
+2
I would not jump to any conclusions about Kato flex track.
Until it can be compared with Atlas and Peco Code 80 we don’t know what it matches.
Kato has sold flex track in Japan since very early on, likely repackaged from other brands. 
If it was on roadbed matching the look of Unitrack it would be worth noting.   
As far as I know there was no demand for another Code 80 flex track with 1965 tie size and spacing even if it is an approximation of Japanese meter gauge track...
Charlie Vlk

greenwizard88

• Crew
  • Respect: +60
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 09:38:19 AM »
Is this track like Atlas, where it springs back to straight, or Micro Engineering, where it holds its shape?

Ngineer

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2021, 02:33:26 PM »
So then it could be done with any flex track.  The Kato flex stuff probably best matches the "look" of Kato sectional track and switches.  And maybe it has that magic alloy rail that doesn't oxidize as fast?

Honestly, all track offered does oxidize faster than I like.

Javier

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2021, 02:34:47 PM »
Maybe the Kato railhead is just polished?

ncbqguy

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2021, 09:45:57 PM »
Kato track is made in a stand-alone factory outside of the main factory in Saitama.  I visited it and noted that their rail comes coiled on pallets but I didn’t have the presence of mind to note the return address when I saw it.  I suspect it is a supplier used by others so don’t know about the ‘magic’ alloy....but do believe quality materials contribute most to Kato’s storied reputation over design, tooling, market awareness, and state-of-the-art product.
Charlie Vlk

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2021, 11:43:51 PM »
I would not jump to any conclusions about Kato flex track.
Until it can be compared with Atlas and Peco Code 80 we don’t know what it matches.
Kato has sold flex track in Japan since very early on, likely repackaged from other brands. 
If it was on roadbed matching the look of Unitrack it would be worth noting.   
As far as I know there was no demand for another Code 80 flex track with 1965 tie size and spacing even if it is an approximation of Japanese meter gauge track...
Charlie Vlk

It would be an engineering feat indeed if Kato (or anyone) could produce integral-roadbed flextrack.  Other than possibly the metal itself, I also don't get what's special about this.

ncbqguy

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2021, 08:09:52 AM »
+1
Actually, Fleischman has had a flex track with an integral flexible ballast base and matching components since at least the early 1970s.
I mocked up a Unitrack flex track sample as part of my “Future of Unitrack” report each staff member was asked to write....before Kato USA moved to Schaumburg.
Not one of my or any other US staff recommended products has made it to market beyond right hand decorated Unitram in the decades since.
No Japan market need, no Unitrack.
Charlie Vlk

Doc Frankenfield

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2021, 08:56:17 AM »
one positive aspect would be the quality of the metal in the rails.

mmyers

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2021, 01:53:18 PM »
Wondering if their cork roadbed is just a little bit taller than other  manufacturer's to match the height of Unitrack?
Their description says "Kato's Flexible Track sections use the same exact nickel-silver alloy as our UNITRACK".
Martin Myers