Author Topic: Stripping without the pole  (Read 1118 times)

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +1238
Stripping without the pole
« on: September 12, 2021, 03:26:28 PM »
Shell has been submerged for a week in 90% with very little results . I was warned years ago about brake fluid and plastic . What is the newest method to get to raw mother plastic please ?

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +742
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: Stripping without the pole
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2021, 03:27:53 PM »
Shell has been submerged for a week in 90% with very little results . I was warned years ago about brake fluid and plastic . What is the newest method to get to raw mother plastic please ?

Factory paint or something else?

Jason

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2021, 04:01:02 PM »
Both now , but factory Atlas Davenport and Bachmann / Lima WDT critter , AHM fish belly gon's .

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2021, 04:29:56 PM »
Have you tried scrubbing with a soft bristle brush?   I have had times where the alcohol appered not to affect paint even after a long immersion, but then started to come off after a bit of ‘persuasion’.

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +127
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2021, 05:31:29 PM »
+1
Wow that subject line sent my mind the wrong way!!!!  :trollface:

Jon

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2021, 05:38:26 PM »
Have you tried scrubbing with a soft bristle brush?   I have had times where the alcohol appered not to affect paint even after a long immersion, but then started to come off after a bit of ‘persuasion’.

Yes

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +230
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2021, 07:58:35 PM »
+5
Maybe the pole the OP said was missing was Peteski.

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2021, 09:57:34 PM »
 :D

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +553
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2021, 10:15:56 PM »
Was Castrol Super Clean (in the purple bottle) on your list?..

I didn't check through all of Peteski's links..

~Ian
Dear Intermountain.. Please cancel your N scale 4785s.. That ship has already left China..... Twice... 

~Ian

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2836
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2021, 10:32:24 PM »
Thanks for all that reserch Pete . I ordered some ELO , Scalecoat II wash-whatever , and a gal jug of scented orange glop . Time will tell . Thanks all .

You welcome.
While I did point to several of my posts, most of the recomend the same 3 or 4 stripping solutions, but other responses in those threads could be providing some other choices.  But I have never used (or recommended) any "orange glop". However I I believe I saw someone else recommend it somewhere..
Maybe you meant "Purple Power" or "Castrol Super Clean", the lye-based purple cleaning liquid?  That one I have used many times.

The original used to be called Castrol Super Clean, but later the "Castrol" part was dropped.  That is the best one for stripping.

Looks like Home Depot carries it.

The "Purple Power" is a generic version, and not as potent.

Of course, YMMV, and while all the stripping solution I mentioned should be safe for plastic, I cannot guarantee that they are 100% safe for all plastics.
. . . 42 . . .

up1950s

• Crew

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2836
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2021, 09:59:41 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/Safe-Easy-Varnish-Hazardous-Non-Toxic/dp/B08PHVJNDJ

Um, that stuff might not be safe on polystyrene or ABS. Doesn't say it is to be used on plastic.  I remember that there were few citrus-based cements for polystyrene (which means that citrus oils can dissolve it).  I would be very careful.
. . . 42 . . .

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +528
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2021, 10:01:24 AM »
Based on experience, I do NOT recommend "orange" based paint strippers.  While they are non-toxic (although that does not necessarily mean "safe"), and safe for "many" plastics, I destroyed a couple of Lima/MP P70 coaches I was working on.  The stuff took the paint right off, but when I scrubbed with a soft toothbrush to get the gunk out of corners (as I have done successfully 100 times with alcohol or "hobby" paint strippers), the plastic was softened to the point that the surface looked like I had gone over it with steel wool.  It was a long time ago, so maybe there are some out there that aren't so harsh, but I figure I have other alternatives, so will stay with what I know works.

My "go to" when alcohol doesn't work is called Simple Green.  Which I think is like the purple stuff, only green.  Between that and alcohol, I've had success with everything, except some old Model Power passenger cars, including the P70s mentioned above, and one of four of their streamlined coaches (the others were no problem) when trying to remove that annoying red stripe that they painted on all the ATSF lettered cars.  The stripe on that one car will probably still be there centuries after the plastic disintegrates.

Simple Green can take a while, anywhere from 4 to 48 hours depending on the paint, and does leave a bit of a smell.  Flush with lots of water to avoid any reaction to paint, and to assure good adhesion.

https://simplegreen.com/products/all-purpose-cleaner/
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 11:21:49 AM by thomasjmdavis »
Tom D.

If you don't know what it is, don't throw it out.