Author Topic: Thanks, I can't Spell!  (Read 913 times)

dcarrell8

• Crew
    • Otter Creek & Rio Grande
Thanks, I can't Spell!
« on: August 16, 2021, 06:41:12 PM »
I'm curious, if I change the subject title of my own topic, (in a reply) does it change the Subject title in all of the previous posts or will they remain as the original subject?

~Dennis
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 07:43:53 AM by dcarrell8 »

nickelplate759

• Crew
Re: Changing the Subjet???
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2021, 07:06:25 PM »
I'm curious, if I change the subject title of my own topic, (in a reply) does it change the Subject title in all of the previous posts or will they remain as the original subject?

~Dennis
Anywhere it was quoted prior to the subject change will not be changed.
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

dcarrell8

• Crew
Test Subject Change
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2021, 07:20:01 PM »
Just seeing what happens.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2021, 08:13:12 PM »
If you observe threads with multiple replies, you see that some people change the subject lines in their replies, without affecting the rest of the thread's posts (regardless whether the person who started the thread, or someone else changes the subject line in their reply).  You can change the subject of your initial post of your thread, and that will change how the post appears in summary of the threads. Basically every post, from the first to last, has its own separate subject line.

. . . 42 . . .

dcarrell8

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2021, 09:37:50 PM »
If you observe threads with multiple replies, you see that some people change the subject lines in their replies, without affecting the rest of the thread's posts (regardless whether the person who started the thread, or someone else changes the subject line in their reply).  You can change the subject of your initial post of your thread, and that will change how the post appears in summary of the threads. Basically every post, from the first to last, has its own separate subject line.

So If I were to change the subject of my initial post it would change every other post or only that one post.  In other words I would love to change the subject of my Layout Engineering thread but I haven't been sure of what the consequences might be.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2021, 10:51:48 PM »
So If I were to change the subject of my initial post it would change every other post or only that one post.  In other words I would love to change the subject of my Layout Engineering thread but I haven't been sure of what the consequences might be.

Subject line change occurs only in the post you are editing. If you want to change the subject of your entire thread then edit the first post in that thread.  Only the initial post subject line will be changed.  That new subject line will then show up when you look at the list of threads in the forum.  None of the other subject lines in the replies to that thread will be modified (they will still show whatever subject line they inherited (or been given) at the time they were posted).  But I suspect that any additional posts made after the initial subject line is edited will have the new subject line.  IMO that is not really relevant, since I don't think many members even look at the subject line in the thread's replies.

I would go ahead and edit the subject line of the initial post in your thread so the thread will have new subject line.  There will be no other consequences.
. . . 42 . . .

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
Re: Changing the Subject???
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2021, 12:17:59 AM »
To illustrate, I change the title in the original post (fixed the typo subjet >> subject), then posted this response.  The title of my response inherits the new title in the original post (for what that is worth).  So as peteski says, feel free to edit your original Layout Engineering subject line.  That's what will show up in the thread listing.

dcarrell8

• Crew
Re: Thanks, I can't Spell!
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2021, 07:45:32 AM »
Thanks Gentlemen I appreciate your knowledge and help!
~Dennis