Author Topic: Want a brand new Decapod?  (Read 2157 times)

kiwi_al

• Crew
  • Respect: +356
Want a brand new Decapod?
« on: August 13, 2021, 03:08:37 PM »
Just idly searching the web and found this. Minitrix are still producing the venerable Decapod. They have cleaned it up and the mechanism looks modern, Comes with DCC and sound with a metal boiler but look at the price!!  :facepalm: :facepalm:
Yes it's not an American version but it is still being made.
https://www.maerklinshop.de/trix/minitrix/lokomotiven/dampflokomotiven/62248/dampflokomotive-serie-150-x

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
Re: Want a brand new Decapod?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2021, 03:16:42 PM »
The catalog page says, "Dieser Artikel steht derzeit nicht zur Verfügung!" It didn't take much of my long-faded high school German to translate, "This item is not available".  :(

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2021, 03:19:41 PM »
planned delivery: 4th quarter 2021

jjb62556

• Crew
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2021, 03:43:24 PM »
Now I know why I took German in High school.  :D :D

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2021, 04:40:18 PM »
Actually, that model has nothing in common with the old Minitix model.  Totally new.  Fleischmann also makes a tender-drive 2-10-0 loco.

Here is an English version of that page:
https://www.maerklinshop.de/en/trix/minitrix/locomotives/steam-locomotives/62248/class-150-x-steam-locomotive

Bell-shaped armature motor means "coreless".
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 04:42:00 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1075
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2021, 06:06:00 PM »
I guess you could make a close enough L1sa with it, but it seems to suffer from European pizza cutter wheels making the wheelbase appear a bit off to photos I can find on the French prototype. On top of the usual issues with deciding if its worth modding the valve gear and how much surgery is needed on the lower detailing.
-Al

porkypine52

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2021, 07:59:48 AM »
A NEW Decapod would be nice!  Designed to an AMERICAN build!   What I would really like is a C&O  T-1 2-10-4    YES! And NOT made with a minimum radius of 10"  Nice long PROTOTYPICAL wheelbase.  NO #4  #5 turnouts for this one.  BIG locomotive-----BIG trackwork.

I can WISH can't I?

DIESELS?!?!?!  We don't need NO stinkin' Diesels!!!
N-Scale  The INDIANA RAILWAY.......Still 100% Steam Powered in 2021

When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat.  George Carlin
DIESELS!?!?!?!  We don't need no STINKIN' DIESELS!!!
The INDIANA RAILWAY.  100% Steam Powered in 2022

MARK          Proud NMRA Member

If I studied all my life, I couldn't think up half the number of funny things passed in one session of congress.

Will Rogers

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2021, 10:26:32 AM »
A NEW Decapod would be nice!  Designed to an AMERICAN build!   What I would really like is a C&O  T-1 2-10-4    YES! And NOT made with a minimum radius of 10"  Nice long PROTOTYPICAL wheelbase.  NO #4  #5 turnouts for this one.  BIG locomotive-----BIG trackwork.

I can WISH can't I?

DIESELS?!?!?!  We don't need NO stinkin' Diesels!!!
N-Scale  The INDIANA RAILWAY.......Still 100% Steam Powered in 2021

When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat.  George Carlin

You misspelled "Russian Decapod"  :trollface:

Bachmann made one in HO, maybe one in N will follow?

« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 10:28:32 AM by cjm413 »

mike_lawyer

• Crew
  • Respect: +158
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2021, 11:28:49 AM »
We really do need a modern version of a Decapod in N scale.  I just completed my PRR I1 built based on Max's article in Railroad Model Craftsman, and that makes for a great model.  It is a lot of work to get there, though.  What I would love is if someone just made a frame of the right proportions that you could use for all of the Kato Mikado drivers and parts with an extra slot for a 5th driver.  It could even be a geared driver on the fifth driver (I have a bunch of them from replacing the 4th driver with the traction tire driver). 

I know someone (maybe PowerTurbine) was talking about creating a brass frame in which all of the Kato Mikado drivers would fit to build decapods, but it never came to fruition as far as I know.  Maybe someone with more knowledge could chime in on that.  If someone wanted to start a crowd-source project to create frames, I would be all in!

Mike

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1779
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2021, 02:11:51 PM »
I remember Jason (Superturbine) actually making a 5-drivered frame in casting resin.  I don't remember any such thing in metal.

mike_lawyer

• Crew
  • Respect: +158
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2021, 02:29:08 PM »
I remember Jason (Superturbine) actually making a 5-drivered frame in casting resin.  I don't remember any such thing in metal.

Maybe that is what I was thinking of Max.  I think I have some PMs from him where he was thinking of having brass frames made from that, but I don't think anything ever came of it.

Mike

Doc Frankenfield

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
Re: Want a brand new Decapod? (how about a russian?)
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2021, 01:39:39 PM »
Bachmann had announced and N scale decapod when they announced the HO scale version. it never came to be.
what say we start a poll or petition do an Nscale Russian decapod?

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7964
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2021, 02:01:12 PM »
Bachmann had announced and N scale decapod when they announced the HO scale version. it never came to be.
what say we start a poll or petition do an Nscale Russian decapod?

I think the issue was that they couldn't get a motor to fit the boiler.

It's a real shame. I'd LOVE a modern 2-10-0.

CRL

• Crew
  • Needs More Dirt.
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2021, 04:32:39 PM »

Truth be told, being Botchmann, they probably couldn’t find a cheap POS motor that would fit the boiler.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2021, 07:03:21 PM »

A "modern" steam loco?  Could you explain what you mean by "modern"?  Were there and "early" decapods?  In the late 19th and first decade of 20th Centuries (that's what I would consider "early steam days") there were plenty of X-4-X, X-6-X, and even X-8-X, but I don't recall any X-10-X locos.

Or do you mean a modern (as in new-design) model of a 2-10-0?

Truth be told, being Botchmann, they probably couldn’t find a cheap POS motor that would fit the boiler.
Several models (steam and diesel) released by Bachmann in the last few years feature small (inexpensive) coreless motors. If that was the stumbling block, they could revisit that project again.
. . . 42 . . .