Author Topic: Reversing loops or helix?  (Read 1405 times)

txronharris

• Crew
  • Respect: +24
Reversing loops or helix?
« on: July 17, 2021, 08:04:19 PM »
I’m finishing up my point to point “L” shaped N scale layout soon and while it’s what I want for operations, I’ve been thinking about others that come see it (especially the nephews and kiddos) and know all they want is to see is trains run. What have you guys used for temporary or removable loops to make a continuous run?

Seems like I saw a guy once that made loops for each end that were on rollers and then used the space underneath to store rolling stock on shelves. I’m trying to think about easiest, most compact design that will allow me to run six axle power so if I decide to get a large steam loco at some point it’ll work.

My first thought was Kato Unitrack single loops for simplicity and durability. Then I started thinking about a couple of turn helix and under layout storage tracks. Just curious what y’all have came across.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 09:25:54 PM by txronharris »

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1326
Re: Reversing loops or helix?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 12:35:24 AM »
Why not both?  It would be a little more complicated, but use two turnouts at each end.  The first would go to a reverse loop, with as wide a radius as you can manage.  The second would come off the inside of one leg of the loop, probably attached to the first one, and feed a slightly smaller radius helix inside the loop.  Continuous running on the visible level, and storage underneath.

If you didn't need access to the storage from both ends, simplify the other end to just the reverse loop.

N Kalanaga
Be well

Specter3

• Crew
  • Respect: +149
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 07:27:35 PM »
I had something similar years ago. Two Ntrak modules with two drop down loops on either  end that looped the front track to the rear track. Made for good continuous running.

Rivet Miscounter

• Crew
  • Respect: +362
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 05:50:31 PM »
Years ago I had the idea of using some type of hinge like the airlines use for tray tables to create temporary fold-down reverse loops on each end of a shelf layout.   I never got past the idea phase though...I assume you could find that type of hinge although it might be pricey...dunno.  Not even sure what that would be called.
Doug

glakedylan

• Crew
  • Give Respect. Expect Respect.
  • Respect: +234
    • Justice Kindness Humbleness —Micah 6.8
PRRT&HS #9304 | PHILLY CHAPTER #2384

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2021, 06:25:24 PM »
AKA a piano hinge.

Rivet Miscounter

• Crew
  • Respect: +362
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2021, 10:21:56 PM »
I was referring to the multi-axis hinge "assembly" that folds up from under a center armrest, flips over, and then locks in a horizontal position.   This was on American Airlines planes, probably MD80's maybe.

Like this:

Here we go.  I bet these are cheap...
https://bucher-group.com/products/vip-interior/table-mechanisms

« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 10:23:53 PM by Rivet Miscounter »
Doug

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2021, 10:41:16 PM »

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2021, 11:44:33 PM »
+1
I was referring to the multi-axis hinge "assembly" that folds up from under a center armrest, flips over, and then locks in a horizontal position.

Federal regulations require all reverse loops to be stowed and locked for landing.

Ed

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3129
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2021, 08:57:41 AM »
I was referring to the multi-axis hinge "assembly" that folds up from under a center armrest, flips over, and then locks in a horizontal position.   This was on American Airlines planes, probably MD80's maybe.

Like this:

Here we go.  I bet these are cheap...
https://bucher-group.com/products/vip-interior/table-mechanisms

Soemthing like this can be fashioned using black pipe fittings and pipe, and be strong enough to support the mass. Slid out from hiding position, rotate benchwork to horizontal, slide into layout with alignment pins, clamp in place with overcenter clamps or somple c clamps.  Add a folding hinged leg with an adjustable bolt on the bottom to level it out and support the cantilever.