Author Topic: Can't wait for photo etch any longer  (Read 741 times)

sd45elect2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +452
Can't wait for photo etch any longer
« on: June 17, 2021, 01:46:34 PM »
I know there are some talented etchers here, I need about 50 pair of truss rods and queen posts. I always liked the truss rods that Fine N Scale products make but they are too short for my needs.

What I need is either someone with the talent to make these for me or a short description of what I need to do to become a draftsman to draw my own stuff.

Here's what I need. Credit to the Central Electric Railfans for the drawing.

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1245
Re: Can't wait for photo etch any longer
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2021, 02:44:21 PM »
I would contact Keystone details for a pattern then get them produced by PPD in Scotland. This is how I went about making the upgrade kits to the Walthers PD5000 hoppers.

One tip we learned along the way: go for the etched stainless steel over nickel silver. The NS is just too fragile for anything delicate.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1774
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 03:02:59 PM »
Would you consider using small HO queenposts and living with them being a little oversized?  Grandt Line  makes them (if you can find old stock around), and then use fine wire or fishing line for the actual rods?  PD Marsh makes some in white metal too.
They would be round and 3-dimensional, which I always liked better than flat etched ones, even if they are a little big.  If you use the smallest HO ones,  I think they look good.

sd45elect2000

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 03:13:08 PM »
I have a bunch of queen posts because I planned on doing exactly what you suggest. My issue was getting everything the same. I used the HO scale queen posts and bent wire on a couple of other one off cars but in this case I need about 50 identical truss rods.

sd45elect2000

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 03:13:54 PM »
I would contact Keystone details for a pattern then get them produced by PPD in Scotland. This is how I went about making the upgrade kits to the Walthers PD5000 hoppers.

One tip we learned along the way: go for the etched stainless steel over nickel silver. The NS is just too fragile for anything delicate.

OK , i'll try this, I remember your PD hopper upgrades as being very nice.