Author Topic: Problems with ESU programmer  (Read 1703 times)

woodone

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
Problems with ESU programmer
« on: June 11, 2021, 09:01:39 PM »
Here I go again. My Lap top died the other day- It had the ESU programmer software on it to do ESU decoders.
Well I needed to do some programming on a ESU V5 decoder (download a sound file)
So I install the ESU programmer on my PC. First off I could not get my sound files to open, seems that the PC wanted to use Acrobat to open the file. I got that changed so it now opens with the ESU programmer app. But now I can not seem to get the PC to find the programmer. Pop up tells me Lokprogramer not found - to try again- of course that does not work. Not too many other choices here. Do I need a driver?
I find it hard to believe that a simple program install can make things so hard to do.
Any ideas out there?
Thanks

Steveruger45

• Crew
  • Respect: +524
Re: Problems with ESU programmer
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 09:15:38 PM »
It’s been a while since I last did this but, Did you connect the programmer before installing the LP software?
Anyhow here is the instructions in case not readily to hand.
http://www.esu.eu/en/downloads/instruction-manuals/lokprogrammer/?no_cache=1&tx_esudownloads_pi1%5BdownloadItem%5D=7a3d5709278d602a1f1ba52086b1f9f6
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 09:18:26 PM by Steveruger45 »
Steve

woodone

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2021, 09:37:26 AM »
 sure I did, but would not bet a bunch of $$ on that. What I did notice is that when I look at the program file I don’t see that there is any data space that it is using? But the only option is to uninstall.
I think I will uninstall and re install it making sure power is on the Programer hardware.
Why is this so hard (for me anyway) to do.

Steveruger45

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2021, 10:52:05 AM »
Yep, try that. Uninstall software.  Then  Power on lokprogrammer and connect to computer via USB cable provided. Computer on and connected to internet. Download software and install.
Steve

woodone

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2021, 11:03:17 AM »
Thanks Steave.
I just did that and I get the same results- can't find programmer.
I get so flustruated with this ****. time eating no working when this should be a very simple download.
What in the world is (or) wrong with my computer system?
Going to take the decoder to my dealer and download there.
Can not afford to waste more time doing the same thing over & over & expecting different results.
Thanks for your input.

Steveruger45

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2021, 12:44:29 PM »
Interesting and frustrating for sure.
Ok, I found this which might help.  http://www.esu.eu/en/support/tips-tricks/lokprogrammer-software-v4/lokprogrammer-installation/
Good luck.
Steve

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +425
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2021, 02:09:55 PM »
You may want to unistall the USB drivers for the cable, and then reinstall using the ones from the ESU website
Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

woodone

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2021, 11:23:43 PM »
OK, I un installed every thing to do with the ESU programer. Downloaded the driver they have at the bottom of the soft ware page.
i INSTALLED  (AGAIN ) THE PROGRAMER SOFT WARE = plus the newer version that was noted on the programer page.
OK download a sound file  try to open with ESU and it STILL tells me it can not find the programmer.
I am so flustrated right  now I really don't care if I never see another ESU decoder.
Why must I jump through hoops to get some thing this simple to work is behond me.
Tsunami here I come!
What a waste of time and effort.
Thanks for the support.

cgw

• Crew
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2021, 05:23:52 AM »
question? Are you using the ESU USB cable?    I have found that it works with it and nothing else.    The cheap oriental cables that I was using did not play well with the programmer.     Got the specific ESU cable and it works.     Brand X cables not so much.     

woodone

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2021, 07:52:00 AM »
Yes, cable is the one that came with Programer.  It is several years old. Serial end has never been unhooked-the USB  end has been in and out many times—-you thinking a bad cable or connection?

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +925
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2021, 08:22:12 AM »
OK, I un installed every thing to do with the ESU programer. Downloaded the driver they have at the bottom of the soft ware page.
i INSTALLED  (AGAIN ) THE PROGRAMER SOFT WARE = plus the newer version that was noted on the programer page.
OK download a sound file  try to open with ESU and it STILL tells me it can not find the programmer.
I am so flustrated right  now I really don't care if I never see another ESU decoder.
Why must I jump through hoops to get some thing this simple to work is behond me.
Tsunami here I come!
What a waste of time and effort.
Thanks for the support.

While I understand your frustration, the problem isn't with the LokProgrammer or ESU. Hundreds (thousands?) of us use the LokProgrammer without issue.  I've personally programmed over 200 ESU LokSound decoders, including Selects, V4's, and the new 5 DCC.  Get mad at ESU if you want, but it's not them.  It's you.  More specifically, it's your computer.

Unfortunately, tracking down software incompatibilities like this is a nightmare on any computer.  Your particular problem might be an incompatibility with the USB hardware on your motherboard; it might be an incompatibility with some other driver that Windows  is loading for some OTHER program that causes the LokProgrammer software to fail.  The list goes on.

The only way to troubleshoot a problem like this is to completely wipe your computer's hard drive, install a clean version of the operating system from scratch, load the program you want to work first to check that it works with the hardware and a clean OS, and then add back other programs one-by-one until you find the one that is causing the glitch.  I've done this (not for the LokProgrammer software, but for a different problem), and it is horrible to do. 

So the alternative is simple.  You had a laptop that was working with the Lok software.  Buy another one.   Buy a used one, a generation or two old.  You can do so for a couple hundred bucks at a used computer store or off ebay.  It doesn't have to be a state-of-the-art system to run the Lok software.  I use a 10-year-old Macbook running Windows 10 but any Windows-based laptop manufactured in the past 5 years would be fine.  Dedicate it to the LokProgrammer - e.g., don't run anything on it but the operating system and the Lok software.  Problem solved.

Or, yes, you can switch to a different decoder brand that doesn't require the sophisticated programming that ESU does.  But you might ask yourself why ESU has come to dominate the OEM market for diesel sound.  It's not because they are cheaper.  Perhaps it is because they are better?

John C.

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2021, 09:19:00 AM »
Yes, cable is the one that came with Programer.  It is several years old. Serial end has never been unhooked-the USB  end has been in and out many times—-you thinking a bad cable or connection?

Good points by John C.  Before you go on giving up or buying a new computer, have you tried a different USB port on your computer using the same cable (since you said it's the supplied ESU cable)?

cgw

• Crew
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2021, 09:35:17 AM »
can you borrow an emu usb cable from someone else?   try it and see if the cable as gone bad.    Uninstall the usb driver and remove it from the system.   reinstall a fresh copy.     one of the failings of ms based systems is that too many packages modify parts of the system without any concern of other parts often breaking it.   I have two programmers one at home and one at the club.   I have had one cable go bad over time.    the ESU stuff typically works and has not given myself or club members any trouble.  I have operated hundreds of engines with emu decoders on Digitrax, NCE and a home brew system.  Not a problem.     It is often something simple that is being overlooked that is messing you up.   Sadly we all have had that happen to us you are not alone.

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +561
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2021, 09:43:28 AM »
This whole issue of the need for compatibility among an assortment of vendors is the underlying problem.  Even if you get everything working together, it probably won't last long, because at least one of the vendors is going to make an incompatible update mandatory.

With the Pi computers becoming so inexpensive, it seems like companies like ESU should think about making their programmers stand-alone, requiring only a direct WiFi connection to the Internet to get files, and handling everything else completely isolated from everything that is not directly provided by them.  That way, they are responsible for the compatibility, including backwards compatibility, for their system. 

Doing things that way certainly would not be any more expensive than making their customers buy an additional single-purpose laptop to keep their ESU Programmer running stably.  And, it would save a lot of aggravation and finger-pointing.

woodone

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2021, 11:00:13 AM »
John C. I respect the input. First off I do not have the funds to get a new lap top or any other computer at this time. Second is I do have a PC that should be able to handle this? Yes ESU's programmer worked on my lap top for I don't know how many installs. I have been doing DCC install for almost 20 years now and a number of them have been ESU's . So I tried using ESU's programmer that I had been using with this PC.
Has for cost of a decoder, there is not that much of a difference for me between an ESU or a SoundTraxx. Quality of sound?? I question that has being a matter of personal taste. But that is MO.
I can buy a Tsunami, install it tweak a few CV's and I am  up and running. A LokSound takes 30 to 40 minutes just to download a file before you can tweak it.  which is better ?? Not sure.  But I do like the fact that the Tsunami's are made here in the USA!
cgw - which driver do I remove? I did install the one listed by ESU on the soft ware page of ESU.
Mailtrain has a point - do I need a separate computer just for my trains? Plus when you read ESU programmer it tells you  it is simple- plug and play per say..
I know I will have to face this sooner or later.
surely I can not be the only person who is having this problem.