Author Topic: Paint colors for NH "State of Maine"  (Read 754 times)

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
Paint colors for NH "State of Maine"
« on: April 21, 2021, 05:27:19 AM »
Is there a TRW "painting" forum? The MicroScale decal instructions for this decal set say "Top area is blue, center area is white, lower area is red".... but there are lots of blues and lots of reds out there.  Does anybody know of the model paint colors that would match these two prototype colors? (White I got down pat).

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4209
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: Paint colors for NH "State of Maine"
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 08:11:27 AM »
+2
Old Glory Red, Stencil White, Old Glory Blue. Same colors as the American flag. You can get the Pantone numbers by Googling. Not certain if there are any existing model paints that are accurate, which is why we contacted the MMA ex-BAR shop foreman directly to get the original DuPont paint specifications and then to DuPont to get confirmation of the common color names and the color chips prior to releasing the XIH boxcar.

Conversely, mix the colors yourself and match to these existing models painted in State of Maine livery that have 100% accurate paint colors: 

• ESM XIH boxcar, BAR/NH SoM
• Atlas 1932 boxcar, BAR SoM club car
• Fox Valley P-S modern boxcar, MMA SoM

The ESM XIH boxcar is the only prototypical model for representing the NH car. No other N scale 40’ plug door boxcar available is anywhere close to prototypical. Just buy an NH SoM XIH boxcar and save yourself the trouble.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 08:25:15 AM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

sd45elect2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +452
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 10:59:23 AM »
Old Glory Red, Stencil White, Old Glory Blue. Same colors as the American flag. You can get the Pantone numbers by Googling. Not certain if there are any existing model paints that are accurate, which is why we contacted the MMA ex-BAR shop foreman directly to get the original DuPont paint specifications and then to DuPont to get confirmation of the common color names and the color chips prior to releasing the XIH boxcar.

Conversely, mix the colors yourself and match to these existing models painted in State of Maine livery that have 100% accurate paint colors: 

• ESM XIH boxcar, BAR/NH SoM
• Atlas 1932 boxcar, BAR SoM club car
• Fox Valley P-S modern boxcar, MMA SoM

The ESM XIH boxcar is the only prototypical model for representing the NH car. No other N scale 40’ plug door boxcar available is anywhere close to prototypical. Just buy an NH SoM XIH boxcar and save yourself the trouble.

I remember talking to someone about the BAR/  MMA colors when I was supervisor there, was that you Brian?

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4209
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 02:27:49 PM »
It's possible.  Back in 2009 or thereabouts?
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

sd45elect2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +452
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 02:56:11 PM »
It's possible.  Back in 2009 or thereabouts?

I was there from 2004-2014 as mechanical supt.

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2021, 07:09:23 PM »
OK, I have an ESM model. I'll just mix up some similar colors.