Author Topic: PRR Lines East Brass Signal Bridge Kit Available  (Read 2832 times)

Jesse6669

• Crew
  • Respect: +1188
PRR Lines East Brass Signal Bridge Kit Available
« on: April 02, 2021, 08:41:35 AM »
+7
CCE Models has an N-scale PRR Lines East signal bridge kit tested and now is ready to take pre-orders.   There are 2-track, 4-track, and 5-track (2 and 4 in T-track spacing as well).   Estimated price is $40 for 4-track and $20 for 2-track, with an optional detail kit file available for download to 3D print (possibly also physical product.. TBD).    To reserve/pre-order: https://www.ccemodels.com/1-160-n-prr-lines-east-signal.../
Pics are of a pre-production model.  The final design is actually improved from this, with slightly thinner handrails, a handrail on the ends, and vertical X bracing for the bridge trusses.  I applied some Archer rivet decals (the N-scale hopper rivet set) and it really enhances the model.  The PE fret comes with a variety of signal targets (round, clipped, and single aspect) as well. The detail kit has the footers, plus lamp housings that are designed to accept 0402 LEDs. 

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Here's one of the assembled signal heads using the lamp housings, complete with one broken lamp shades sloppily glued back on..  I revised the lamp housing to make the shades a bit more robust but they still will be pretty fragile.  It might print better/stronger in resin..

If you're going to want one or more, please fill in the pre-order form on the CCE Models website (no payment is needed at this time.)  Based upon the response by May 1, I'll do a go/no go for the different versions for an initial etch run.   Since there's an upfront artwork cost at the etcher for each separate version, unless there are at least 5 or so each I probably won't get that version made.  On the other hand, I suppose if they are wildly popular then I'll start stocking them.
Finally, I have two of the original test frets available (new, both 4 track/59' span), and if you want one please PM or email me--since they are now "obsolete" due to the minor design revisions, I'll make the price $15 each plus $10 for shipping in the US.
Jesse

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3119
    • Designer at Keystone Details
Re: PRR Lines East Brass Signal Bridge Kit Available
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 08:54:46 AM »
I’m in, thank you so much for doing these. This was a void that needed filling. Cant wait to try to print the light signal heads and shades.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7947
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 09:52:56 AM »
Oh man. I just got started reading Dave Abeles new book on signaling and was despairing about the mountain I had to climb with signals for the new NCR.

And then I saw this.

You're the man Jesse!

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 10:39:16 PM »
Nice! And quite similar to (gasp!) ATSF signal bridges as well, except the Santa Fe put the walkway and railings on the lower cord, see pics. That probably required a somewhat taller truss, especially on the one in San Bernardino I need; it had (another gasp) an outhouse  situated across the mainlines from the adjacent tower! What’s the truss height on the Pennsy bridge?
Thank you,
Otto
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 11:37:18 PM by Cajonpassfan »

mmyers

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 09:00:04 AM »
So if I want to add these to a 3 track NTRAK module would the 4 track version be about right for the 1 1/2 inch track spacing? I'm assuming the 59 foot dimension is an inside measurement. That would be 4.42 inches?

Martin Myers
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 09:10:03 AM by mmyers »

prr7161

• Crew
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2021, 11:34:38 AM »
So if I want to add these to a 3 track NTRAK module would the 4 track version be about right for the 1 1/2 inch track spacing? I'm assuming the 59 foot dimension is an inside measurement. That would be 4.42 inches?

Martin Myers

The proto 4-track bridge was designed around a 13' track center spacing - three center-to-center spaces works out to 39' proto, or just under 3" at scale.  So a three-track arrangement on 1 1/2" centers should be within a scale foot of the intended proto clearances.
Angela Sutton

The Mon Valley in N Scale

prr7161

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2021, 11:37:45 AM »
What’s the truss height on the Pennsy bridge?

6'-0" for the four track, 7'-0" for the five track per the PRR diagrams.
Angela Sutton

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2021, 12:01:30 PM »
Good to see more signal related stuff!  8)

N scale is a signal wasteland. :|

Jesse6669

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2021, 03:49:47 PM »
6'-0" for the four track, 7'-0" for the five track per the PRR diagrams.
I wasn't planning on adjusting the height of the truss just for the 5 track version--it was basically a T-track 4-track bridge that I noticed was close the the Pennsy 5-track dimensions.  I could if there's a huge outcry.. oh damn I probably will just because it will bother me if I don't.

The proto 4-track bridge was designed around a 13' track center spacing - three center-to-center spaces works out to 39' proto, or just under 3" at scale.  So a three-track arrangement on 1 1/2" centers should be within a scale foot of the intended proto clearances.
Just to clarify all the bridge width spacing comes from the PRR diagram and is measured from the centers of the legs.  The T-track bridges are based on 1.3 in (33mm) track centers.

I am tweaking the design of the lamp housing/head so they aren't so fragile (test sprue in at Shapeways) and I included bases and finials for Pennsy PL pole signals-- I used a 1mm tube as the size, even though it's just a tad over prototype at 6" (and the prototype telescopes down to a 5" tube it seems) but I figured that would be close enough and uses commonly found tube.  I still don't know how you guys wire these (magnet wire I believe?) but wowsza, that's a lot of work love for a 4 track bridge.

Jesse

Jesse6669

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2021, 03:53:21 PM »
What’s the truss height on the Pennsy bridge?
6 feet., but for 5-6 tracks is goes up to 7 feet (see my note about the T-track 4-track version).

I'd be interested in doing the Santa Fe prototype, especially if I can get the diagrams/reference material.  Let's see how this one pans out first, though.

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2021, 03:21:09 PM »
+1
Hey @Jesse6669 !
You may recognize me from the PRR N Scale Group.
Thanks for doing up those 4 track TTrak spacings!
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

prr7161

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2021, 01:04:04 PM »
+1
I wasn't planning on adjusting the height of the truss just for the 5 track version--it was basically a T-track 4-track bridge that I noticed was close the the Pennsy 5-track dimensions.  I could if there's a huge outcry.. oh damn I probably will just because it will bother me if I don't.

Don't know if this qualifies as an outcry  :D but it would definitely be cool to get the extra truss height on the 5 track / T-track 4 track bridges.  It would make a nice visual distinction, especially if the different bridge designs were close together (like at opposite ends of an interlocking).  Thanks for anything you do with this!!!
Angela Sutton

Jesse6669

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2021, 10:20:02 AM »
+1
Update on the N-scale PRR Lines East signal bridge kits by CCE Models:

The cutoff was May 1 for reservations and the totals are in, and there was enough interest in all versions to justify making all four variations.  The five-track prototype/four-track T signal bridge was updated to have the higher piers and taller bridge as per the prototype design. 
Nearly everyone wanted the 3D printed detail kits.   

I'll look at the best options for shipping to try ensure these don't get folded/spindled/mutilated in transit.

I will stock enough to cover reservations plus a few extras.  Expected lead time for etching is about two months, so these should arrive sometime around July.  Once in stock, I will send an email to all who reserved the kits, with the actual pricing, and you can place/pay for your order.
Based on interest in these signal bridges, I will be adding the single mast PL signals (pictured) to the CCE Models N-scale line as well.

- Jesse

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2021, 11:14:36 AM »
FANTASTIC!!!

I guess I should do the actual math to figure out what I'll really need for the layout and strike while the iron is hot.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2021, 02:17:55 PM »
Hahaha, so fun fact: I did the math on the new layout. You know how many double track bridges I need?

EXACTLY the number I had already ordered!

Good job past Ed! lol.