Author Topic: Atlas/Rivarossi Upgraded "Vintage" Motors - For Sale  (Read 1427 times)

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1780
    • Maxcow Online
Atlas/Rivarossi Upgraded "Vintage" Motors - For Sale
« on: March 21, 2021, 11:08:57 PM »
After letting the first 10 motors go out into the wild, I'm ready to offer these for general sale.
The terms are similar to the initial test run, but the final price is $30.

If you have a dead or ailing Atlas/Rivarossi 4-6-2, 2-8-2, 0-8-0, or 0-4-0, these motors will work,
will be significantly better than the original motor, won't melt down, and will drop right in with no
engine modification needed.

All the details are below.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For anyone who isn't aware of all the background, here are the R&D threads:
https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=51344.0  (motor torque and motor winding)
https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=49685.msg665937#msg665937  (new magnets)

I have had custom magnets manufactured to fit the Rivarossi can, and I essentially re-make the entire motor with a new 3-pole skew-wound armature, a new magnet, and new brushes and brush springs.  These are more powerful and run slower than the original motors, draw a lot less current, and won't "melt down" on you the way the old motors did.

The intent here is to have a decent, reliable motor that can easily be dropped right back into the chassis without any modifications. 

In addition, because the new motor has such a strong magnet in it, it will lift the trailing truck of the engine right up off the track, so I have to modify trailing trucks, replacing the steel top strip with a brass one.

I have tested these motors in the 4-6-2, 2-8-2, 0-8-0, and 0-4-0.

TERMS, PRICING, and AVAILABILITY:

1. Motors are available on a first come, first serve basis. 
Once you pay, that will reserve your place in line. 
I will let you know how many motors are ahead of you when you inquire by PM.  But BE AWARE, I can't hold your place in line
until I receive payment.

2. Price is $30 each, postage included.

3. Terms:
You must send me:
- your old motor
- the little fork coupling (4-6-2 or 2-8-2)  or worm gear (for an 0-8-0 or 0-4-0) must be on it, or packed with it
- your old trailing truck (4-6-2 and 2-8-2)
- if you include any attached headlight contact and wire that's connected to your old motor, I'll make sure that's on
the new one when I send it back.

This is a hard requirement.  I only have a handful of parts and motors rebuilt to sell, and there will be no steady supply of these if there isn't a "core exchange" system like this. 

I will send you:
Rebuilt motor and modified trailing trucks, after receiving payment.

4. Guarantee: If for any reason you don't like the motor, or if it does something stupid and fails on you, just send it back and you get all your money back.  No excuses, no BS.    You expect these to work, and so do I.

5. How to get them:
Send me a PM or a direct email to spsitems@gmail.com, I will reply and then you can send payment and your old motors (and trailing trucks, forks or worms)

Below are some photos showing what the modifications look like.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 11:01:53 AM by mmagliaro »