Author Topic: Midwest Model Railroad  (Read 4904 times)

Tom L

• Crew
Midwest Model Railroad
« on: March 16, 2021, 02:20:40 PM »
I hadn’t seen these guys mentioned before,  so I thought I would throw out a thumbs for them.  I tend to order my more general supplies like strip styrene, MT couplers, etc. from them. I just ordered a bunch of Evergreen strips and shapes from them.  $3.17 for a pack of strips vs. around $3.50 or retail at other places.  Not a big deal except that I ordered like 30 packs.  I ordered last night after they were closed and it was picked and shipped this morning, which is normal when I order from them.

- they are in Missouri, so I usually get my order in 2 or 3 days here in Colorado
- their prices are good, pretty much in line with Klein’s on most things
- while their inventory isn’t quite as extensive as MBK, they have a good inventory of stuff like Gold Medal Models, Micro Trains,  Showcase miniatures, Atlas BLMA friction bearing trucks. In the past, they were my go to for FVM wheels, I’m going to suggest to them that they pick up ESM wheels.
- they have graduated shipping starting at $5, so I don’t mind ordering just a few things if I’m in a hurry to get something.  Shipping was $10 on my $100 order and there is also a $7 tier in there.
- I had one order out of several, that had a wrong quantity and they were easy to communicate with and corrected it immediately.

They look like they have a nice Brick and Mortor shop, as well.

https://midwestmodelrr.com/

Tom L
Wellington CO

bbeegle

• Crew
Re: Midwest Model Railroad
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 07:50:26 PM »
I have ordered quite a bit from them, they are very fast shipping and postage is reasonable unlike MBK. Brian

samusi01

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 07:56:35 PM »
Good folks; haven’t been by the new place yet - eventually I’ll do so - but have stopped at the old place. Have also operated on at least one of their employee’s layouts. Good model railroading area up there and I look forward to returning.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 08:48:25 PM »
I've placed a number of orders for parts and things that MBK can't be bothered with in recent months - good service so far!

Rossford Yard

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 10:34:59 AM »
When did they move to a new place?  I think this is the same store I have stopped at many times, the most recent being during the KC NMRA convention a few years back.  From those photos, it looks about like the old store, so I can't tell.

While well stocked, so well stocked that I was tripping over stuff on the floor, I found the staff a bit rude, never stopping their conversations with their buds to ask if I needed any help.  And that was all three times I was there.

w neal

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2021, 07:07:49 PM »
Pictures of the place?
Buffering...

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2021, 07:23:13 PM »
When did they move to a new place? ...

It would be after 2015, at least as indicated by the date of the most recent Google Street View of the location. I suspect if you were there during the NMRA convention in 2018, I would surmise the current location is what you experienced.

I've ordered from them via eBay but have not had opportunity to visit in person.

samusi01

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 12:44:30 PM »
It would be after 2015

Believe their move was in the last twelve months or so. Swung by yesterday on the way through KC and the new location - in the same strip mall - is much larger. They have a nice selection of N scale, as their website shows.

Sam

EspeeGoldenState

• Crew
    • Modern Southern Pacific
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2021, 04:15:12 PM »
When did they move to a new place?  I think this is the same store I have stopped at many times, the most recent being during the KC NMRA convention a few years back.  From those photos, it looks about like the old store, so I can't tell.

While well stocked, so well stocked that I was tripping over stuff on the floor, I found the staff a bit rude, never stopping their conversations with their buds to ask if I needed any help.  And that was all three times I was there.

You are most likely talking about Show Me Model Trains, which is Grandview, still pretty much the same now as was then.

As for Midwest, they opened a storefront in Independence in mid May of 2019. And have since moved to their current bigger space last year in Oct. They had been solely operating out of their basement before opening either storefront.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 04:16:54 PM by EspeeGoldenState »
Attempting to model a modern Southern Pacific based in 2015/2016...

Also, I have a passenger train addiction...

basementcalling

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2021, 05:33:10 PM »
I tried em. I like em.
Peter Pfotenhauer

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2021, 10:16:57 PM »
I have ordered quite a bit from them, they are very fast shipping and postage is reasonable unlike MBK. Brian

I get free shipping from MBK.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2021, 10:06:41 AM »
Watch the Ron's Trains and Things video inside this place for his myster box program and it will
blow you away. It's huge.
Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2021, 06:02:05 PM »

I get free shipping from MBK.
How do you do that?  MBK just sent me an email telling me there is a "special" shipping rate of 7.99 through the end of this week.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

reinhardtjh

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2021, 06:19:56 PM »
How do you do that?  MBK just sent me an email telling me there is a "special" shipping rate of 7.99 through the end of this week.

Spend a certain amount with them.  Once you hit $1500 (Yardmaster level), any order above $100 gets free shipping.

The levels are:

Passenger (0$ and up to $274)
         Benefits - 2 points for every $1 spent

Engineer ($275 up to $1499)
         Benefits - 3 points for every $1 spent
         A 5% off coupon ( good next order after you hit the threshold)

Yardmaster ($1500 and above)
         Benefits - 4 points for every $1 spent
         A 10% off coupon ( good next order after you hit the threshold)
         Free shipping (best method - no choice) on orders over $100
         Emails with exclusive sales and limited edition products (do not recall this happen but I might have missed it)

The points are redeemable for coupons for $xx off an order.
You can apparently gain points by doing other things such as liking them on Facebook, sharing them on Facebook, following them on Instagram, writing a review and so on.

All of this is on the "Rewards" button that shows up after you log in and view your cart or account page.

John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2021, 06:32:21 PM »
It says I have 1513 points ..