Author Topic: BLI USRA Pacifics on the delivery schedule for May  (Read 3910 times)

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
  • Respect: +1420
Re: BLI USRA Pacifics on the delivery schedule for May
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2021, 06:40:06 PM »
Is the boiler die-cast? I'm curious to see how this thing goes together. Hoping it won't be too difficult to add a new boiler.

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1720
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2021, 08:28:43 PM »
Same shells as the Mikado, so yes - metal.

-Mark

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2021, 03:55:44 PM »
             :D Yes, they are here, I could not resist the beautiful paint schemes on the CP and the Milwaukee locomotives even though they are not quite accurate for light pacific's from either road. The Reading Blue Mountain Northern locomotive is a model of their USRA light Pacific. Another great color scheme.  Nate Goodman. (Nato). :D

DMetz

• Crew
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2021, 08:16:04 AM »
+1
The Erie paint job is pre- 1941.
The timeline for these Erie Pacifics was much tighter than that.  The yellow diamond on the tender was first applied to some Berkshire and 0-8-0s in 1927.  Then the rest of the Erie steam locos were repainted with the yellow diamonds when they were in the shop.  Previous to 1927, all steam loco tenders were lettered with just Erie lettering, and no diamond.  The Elesco feedwater heaters were applied to all K5 and K5a Pacifics by 1931.  So the BLI Pacific model in Erie lettering only existed in that configuration from 1927 to 1931.  There are some pictures that show locomoties with yellow diamonds and plain smokeboxes.  But most pictures show different lettering or the later changes.

I would rather have an Erie pacific with the Elesco feedwater heater.  I like the look better, and it moves the timeline to any time after 1931.  Erie did have sets of Boxspoc drivers that were used on these engines in the later 1930s.  But they rebuild some of the spoked drivers too, and interchanged all types as they were repaired and shopped.  So into the 1940s, the K5 and K5a engines were mostly seen with Boxspoc drivers, but could also have the spoked drivers.  And in the 1940s, many of these engines received larger tenders with commonwealth 6 wheel trucks.  The Erie heavily relied on having spare parts, and swapping parts and tenders to get the engines back to service quicker.

Dan M

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2021, 12:16:46 PM »
Well Erie didn't call it a "diamond", they called it a ball inside a rotated square  ;)

As for the drivers. Almost all of them got a replacement disc center driver. Some got 2 sets, and some got all 3. Think it just depended on checking for cracks. Just like the frames. So many frames were cracked that they cast their own frames with a cylinder chest integrated into it.

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2021, 11:20:40 PM »
Ours came in the shop last week, complete foob but I am so tempted to pick up one of the Heavy B&O. The president scheme looks so good on them.
Tony Hines

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +563
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2021, 09:16:00 AM »
Ours came in the shop last week, complete foob but I am so tempted to pick up one of the Heavy B&O. The president scheme looks so good on them.

So, Tony, are you thinking about printing a B&O P1d shell for the light USRA version?  I don't think I remember seeing B&O run their P5 USRA Lights or their copy P6s over the Allegheny divide, where I want to model the traffic.