Author Topic: RPM Chicagoland Mini-Kits  (Read 3168 times)

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +601
Re: RPM Chicagoland Mini-Kits
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2021, 03:43:39 PM »
Thht M15-K wagontop has my interest peaked. Were there resin parts involved or just modifications of the existing model?
Tony Hines

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2702
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2021, 06:07:19 PM »
Agreed!  That and board gaps.  :D

This style of single sheathed car would be a great candidate for a modern model.

LOL!  Nowhere near as bad as "that" Rapido meat reefers!  :D  Actually, compared to that car, yours looks pretty damn good!
. . . 42 . . .

jargonlet

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2021, 08:41:09 PM »
+1
Looks great ,how do we get one?

I was thinking the same thing. I love building resin freight car kits in ho. Would love something of similar quality to the Funaro and Camerlengo kits in n scale.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +1548
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2021, 11:54:34 PM »
I still have to build my IC and FGE kits.  On the list.  :facepalm:
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +453
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2021, 09:18:43 AM »
+2
I was thinking the same thing. I love building resin freight car kits in ho. Would love something of similar quality to the Funaro and Camerlengo kits in n scale.
I agree- the more resin kits, the better.  Given the RPM selections, I think there might be a market just for the various car ends.  In the alternate universe where I control model manufacturing, there would be a "universal" kit, where there were interchangeable sides, roofs, doors, etc.  So that we could produce cars with whatever combination of Howe v Pratt truss, Buckeye v Dreadnought, etc end, and so on, to get the specific combination used on a given prototype.

But for resin kits that do exist in the real world, take a look at the kits at https://www.atsfnscalemodels.com/ (some are resin and some 3 D prints) and  finenscale.com.  I've never done an F&C kit in HO, so I can't compare, but I've been happy with the results of kits from both companies.  I would also mention the GHQ CN refrigerator cars, but could not find them on the current GHQ page, so guessing they are out of production.

Tom D.

Dear manufacturers,
If you don't make it, I can't buy it.

sd45elect2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +289
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2021, 01:25:11 PM »
I've often looked at Funaro and Camerlingo kits wishing I could have them in N scale. Same with the Westerfield kits. The market is wide open for anyone that wants to make multi media kits. Sadly I don't have any appreciable talents for this...

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +1171
    • Skally Line Blog
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2021, 08:15:03 PM »
Looks great ,how do we get one?

Register early and come to the Chicagoland RPM!
https://www.rpmconference.com/
And don’t say you live too far away. I fly up from Vegas to attend. It is worth the trip. Bring models to show off! Check out others models, and then the clinics! I can’t say enough about the clinics. You will learn more in a weekend than you ever thought you could.
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2021, 11:51:07 PM »
Was that the Mehano model that was imported by Atlas, Life-Like, etc?

ncbqguy

• Crew
  • Respect: +206
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2021, 02:06:11 AM »
+1
The Mehano was a near copy of the Rivarossi. IIRC the main difference was the number of chain links from the brakewheel box to the rod. That is, assuming Mehano didn’t use the two-hatch reefer roof mold insert on that run...
Charlie Vlk

Note that the master only used the sides ....with the grabs and ladder removed.   New roof, ends and floor...maybe I shpud dig mine out and build it!!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 02:14:34 AM by ncbqguy »

SAH

• Crew
  • Respect: +637
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2021, 11:49:48 AM »
+1
I didn't realize there was an N scale resin kit added to the RPM meet.  I like that.  I attended a meet years ago, enjoyed myself immensely and have tried to make it an annual trip.  Employment obligations always conspired to keep me away.  Now that I'm retired, all the events I thought I would be able to attend . . . .  well, you know the rest of the story.  Fall 2021 (fingers crossed).

I really appreciate your work on the model builds Mike. 

Steve

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +428
    • Modutrak
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2021, 06:46:37 PM »
+5
Right. Ancient car sides, here’s the master and the mold.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

I’ll see what I have left and if I can put more kits together.

cgw

• Crew
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2021, 07:47:51 PM »
What are the chances of casting some additional CGW box car ends??    That is the only one that i am missing .      Missed it when  i showed up that year.

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Respect: +586
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2021, 09:47:03 PM »
Would like to throw in a me to...

I would be interested in getting any parts or kits that are available. Love resin kits and wish I could attend the conventions, hopefully some day...
Ryan in Alberta

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2021, 08:36:24 PM »
The Mehano was a near copy of the Rivarossi. IIRC the main difference was the number of chain links from the brakewheel box to the rod. That is, assuming Mehano didn’t use the two-hatch reefer roof mold insert on that run...
Charlie Vlk

Note that the master only used the sides ....with the grabs and ladder removed.   New roof, ends and floor...maybe I shpud dig mine out and build it!!

Mehano used the same or similar "diagonal panel roof designed by someone that sniffed way too much paint and/or glue in the factory" roof (for lack of an actual prototype) as the Roco single sheathed box.  On a separate note, the sides on the Roco model appear to be a bit taller than Rivarossi/Mehano.

http://www.spookshow.net/freight/ll40woodbox.html

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +727
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2021, 08:39:51 PM »
What are the chances of casting some additional CGW box car ends??    That is the only one that i am missing .      Missed it when  i showed up that year.

If Mike can't hook you up with a casting, he should still have the 3D file.  I also have a modified version for the CGW transfer cabooses/boxcars.

Jason