Author Topic: RPM Chicagoland Mini-Kits  (Read 6522 times)

thbguy

• Crew
  • Respect: +109
Re: RPM Chicagoland Mini-Kits
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2021, 10:26:35 PM »
Love it.

I think that I’m the bottleneck on getting more GHQ CNR reefers out.
My ALPS printer died shortly after a big crash on the computer that had all of my decal files on it.
Still trying to recover the data from that drive and my backup hard drive (and my cloud drive). Sigh.
If we could get another way to do the Pennsy decals, I’d ask Gregg if he’d do another R50B reefer run.

Resin kits are great and I’d love to snag some of these ones. @hegstad1 and I just got Rock island boxcars from Rocket Express. Very nicely done with end door and regular versions. I’m sure he will have his put together and painted before I get mine out of the box!

Michael
Michael Livingston
Modeling southern Ontario in N scale

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt. ~ Abraham Lincoln.

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1242
    • Modutrak
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2021, 12:18:29 PM »
If Mike can't hook you up with a casting, he should still have the 3D file.  I also have a modified version for the CGW transfer cabooses/boxcars.

Jason

Would you be alright if I tossed the file on the printer and printed some ends for folks?  I'm limited on resin ends, but have lots of decals. 

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2021, 12:58:01 PM »
Would you be alright if I tossed the file on the printer and printed some ends for folks?  I'm limited on resin ends, but have lots of decals.

Absolutely.

Jason

glakedylan

• Crew
  • Give Respect. Expect Respect.
  • Respect: +234
    • Justice Kindness Humbleness —Micah 6.8
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2021, 02:07:34 PM »
following/watching....would be interested in some of these cars.
looking good,
would be excellent to be able to have some.

thanks
Gary

PRRT&HS #9304 | PHILLY CHAPTER #2384

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +989
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2021, 02:59:38 PM »
+1 Exciting news for sure!
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2021, 06:47:50 PM »
Count me in as interested if any of these kits can be made available.  Or a package of parts such as ends, roofs, doors, etchings, etc.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

jargonlet

• Crew
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2021, 08:59:05 AM »
Count me in for any of the kits or parts too.

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2021, 09:09:30 AM »
+2
Wow, didn't expect the interest. 

I've been digging through inventory and pulling out the extras I have.  Hard things, like decals, I'm actually in good shape on.  Resin parts I have or have a way to run a couple more.  Give me a week or two to assemble some packages and then I'll let you know when available. 

The Mini-Kits are supposed to include the hard parts to make a different model, so kits might just be decals and a set of special ends, like the CGW car, or could be a resin carbody like the IC and FGEX cars.  But all need other parts (ladders, placards, trucks, couplers, wire, grabs, etc.)  I don't want to mislead anyone that they are a complete kit, but they are meant to inspire a build and offer something not otherwise available.  If we can inspire a couple more models, I'm all about it. 

Stay tuned!

cgw

• Crew
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2021, 01:13:53 PM »
That is good news mike, you have made my day with this offer.      Thanks in advance .

milw12

• Crew
  • Respect: +319
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2021, 06:57:39 PM »
Mike, will you have a more formal ordering process or should we let you know what we want here? I'd be interested in anything you will have available.

Thanks,
Lucas

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2021, 02:54:51 PM »
A batch of IC, FGEX, and CGW kits is available today.  More info in the Trading Post: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=51797.msg705550#msg705550

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2021, 09:16:10 AM »
The first and second shipments should be arriving this week.  I've added links to the first post, to the PDF of the attendee program that was handed out with the kits, and some presentation by George Toman.  George would always return the next year with an in depth presentation of his build of the Mini-Kits.  HO, but all the pertinent information applies to N scale... depending on how far you want to go down the rabbit hole!

I'll also be here to answer questions, hoping we inspire a build challenge and can finish some models together!  These kits take a bit of work, but that's the fun.

squirrelhunter

• Crew
  • Respect: +165
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2021, 06:14:26 PM »
So almost a month later, I'm planning on starting my CGW boxcar kit. I've cleaned the flash off the door and end castings, and I found an IM AAR boxcar kit to built it up on.

As a side note, does anyone have a good way to remove IM lettering without damaging the underlying paint?

Tom L

• Crew
  • Respect: +495
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2021, 11:43:13 PM »
So almost a month later, I'm planning on starting my CGW boxcar kit. I've cleaned the flash off the door and end castings, and I found an IM AAR boxcar kit to built it up on.

As a side note, does anyone have a good way to remove IM lettering without damaging the underlying paint?

Well, I can tell you that overnight in 91% alcohol won’t touch it. My IM donor car is Brown with white lettering (CNW). It appears to be molded in brown with the lettering applied directly to the plastic.  I guess I  will have to paint over it. 

I kind of like the irony of painting out the CNW scheme to apply a CGW logo.

I’m hoping to get started on those kits soon, but not sure it will happen with summer in Colorado about to happen.......

Tom L
Wellington CO

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2021, 12:32:43 AM »

A scratch micro brush from Micro Mark? Supposed to work on HO models...anybody tried it in an?