Author Topic: PSX Not Working  (Read 477 times)

newt749

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
PSX Not Working
« on: February 12, 2021, 04:12:12 PM »
I recently purchased a PSX-2 circuit breaker for my N-scale home layout. I am finally at the point where I can begin my electrical work. In testing the PSX-2, on one side the D7 LED was very dim on powerup. D12 and D6 were bright and off respectfully. When I tested the PSX by shorting the output, as per the instruction, D6 did not light up and there was no apparent short circuit protection. The other side of the PSX-2 was working fine. Is there anything that I can do to correct this or is my PSX no longer functional? Could you please advise me on my next steps.

I've tried contacting DCC Specialties in Vermont but my email does not seem to be getting through.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can give me.

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1778
    • Maxcow Online
Re: PSX Not Working
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 05:40:21 PM »
Okay, this isn't intended to be insulting, but did you go through all the installation instructions?
I dug up the instruction manual for this thing, and it's 20 pages with very specific directions for installing jumpers and setting CVs so that this will work correctly with various brands of DCC system (NCE and Digitrax are two that require special settings and jumpers).
There are also directions for installing wires to it.  Did you go through all that, or just hook power to it and see if it tripped on a dead short?

Frankly, I'm stunned that something like this needs 20 pages of instructions and needs to have CV's set on it.  That's a whole lot of crazy for an electronic circuit breaker.

newt749

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
Re: PSX Not Working
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 05:50:07 PM »
Yes, I did read the manual. You’re right that it seems like a lot of information for essentially a simple device but the manual details a lot of additional information if needed. The initial steps tell you to simply hookup the PSX to your DCC system output and then short out the output of the PSX to test it. The LED’s should light in a specific manner, and on one of the PSX sides, they don’t. I haven’t been able to get past this part so that I can program other variables if I need them. I’m just trying to see if anyone has any suggestions or is it beyond help. I can always separate the two sides and still use the good one.