Author Topic: NZ N Scale pricing  (Read 1594 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

kiwi_al

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1474
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +471
NZ N Scale pricing
« on: January 28, 2021, 02:11:03 AM »
0
The following link is why I and some of my fellow countrymen buy our N scale trains from the USA.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace/toys-models/models/railway/locomotives/listing/2956703947?bof=yDjCfeJp

So translating that price into USD $568.25, it's far cheaper with postage and GST to bring it in than buy it from the LHS.
Just sayin.... :D

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19604
  • Respect: +6932
Re: NZ N Scale pricing
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 02:23:59 AM »
0
I thought that was just Bachmann's MSRP  :lol:

mandealco

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 302
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +436
Re: NZ N Scale pricing
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 02:06:43 PM »
0
Hi Al
There are still bargains to be found on TradeMe from time to time.  I don't get as much from the USA as I used too as shipping rates have gone through the roof and then some in recent years.  As I'm planning on building a layout later this year, I cringe at the thought of what it may cost to update all the stuff that I've had in storage for 20+ years..  A Lotto win would be very useful.
Cheers from the Mainland.
Steve

thomasjmdavis

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4376
  • Respect: +1268
Re: NZ N Scale pricing
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 02:38:34 PM »
0
Well, the "going rate" on eBay is $325-$499 US for "new" models.  But then, on eBay, not all dealers distinguish between the original 2013 release and the more recent sound release (or even, necessarily, between new and used, oops, "pre-owned").

As to shipping rates, yep, through the roof.  Even domestically, getting pretty outrageous.  Especially given the instances, like a recent incoming "priority" package that took 11 days to get here from 400 miles away, including a week spent in Indianapolis.  Or the non-post office shipper that took 4 days to get a package 500 miles to their local (8 miles away) depot, then held it for 3 days, then gave it to the local post office to deliver.  And still not sure my son got the Christmas present I sent him.
Tom D.

I gave up rivet counting when I couldn't see an N scale rivet anymore.

Tallmatt

  • Posts: 16
  • Respect: +17
Re: NZ N Scale pricing
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2021, 04:16:48 AM »
+1
That's a bit modern compared to most of the junk on trade me.

I wish Welly had a decent model shop.

nscalbitz

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 538
  • Respect: +49
Re: NZ N Scale pricing
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2021, 05:34:39 AM »
0
The following link ...
So translating that price into USD $568.25, it's far cheaper with postage and GST to bring it in than buy it from the LHS.
Just sayin.... :D

MAcks is actually is/ was a pretty good dealer and I'd probably prefer to buy from him than most others.
But I don't buy anything any more except what is essential, and 'upgrading'/ fiddling old stuff is the hobby, not buying latest and greatest whizz bangs.

You're right freight has gone nuts, but everyone is going down that hole,
cheers d

kiwi_al

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1474
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +471
Re: NZ N Scale pricing
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2021, 08:52:47 AM »
0
I wasn't getting at Macks, cause he is really good just highlightng the difference in costs over here. NZ trains shops can't get proper wholesale rates.

bbunge

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 338
  • Respect: +538
Re: NZ N Scale pricing
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2021, 02:45:03 PM »
0
A few years ago during a business trip stumbled on a LHS in Melbourne, AU, and was not over all surprised to see prices higher than in the US.  They had some nice Hornby UK style stuff and some US Kato protos.  Now I wish I had sprung for some of the Hornby pieces just to have them.

Bob

BCRail_FSJ

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 357
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +553
    • Trying to model the BCR Fort St John BC (again)...while living in Australia (what could possibly go wrong?)
Re: NZ N Scale pricing
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2021, 07:07:43 PM »
0
The $45 NZD price tag for 1 Peco Code 55 turnout gave me a minor heart attack in an Auckland hobby shop this morning.    I do try to support the local stores when it comes to paint and basic scenery supplied but paying twice the North American price is just something I have learned to accept.     For large orders of things like turnouts, wheels, couplers, decoders etc I will always order from North America and pay the shipping.
Attempting Canadian prototype modelling in Australia

British Columbia Fort St John Subdivision
https://nscalefortstjohnsub.wordpress.com