0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
IMHO, Go with the Katos. If you can find a set of the LifeLikes, and the price was right, I'd go for those also. Good runners, strong puller, and usually cheaper. the pickup is the only thing that can cause issues.
I actually prefer the Life Like units over the other two.
I'm not very happy with the BLI engines. They stall a lot over turnouts and i've had two decoder issues where i had to send them back and wait 12 weeks each time.
I need to do the same thing. Did you have a part number or did you just call them directly?Thanks, Jon
Hi, all,See here for my photo-blog about replacing the rear wheelsets on BLI locos. It definitely helps and worth doing. https://pbase.com/atsf_arizona/bli_n_pa1_wheelset_replaceBut that having been said, the power-pickups on these BLI diesels, I can't reliably know for sure if this wheelset fix will 'make all the issues go away'.... it did on some, but not on others. Seems dependent on the individual BLI loco in question. I have a BLI E6 that has never had a problem.But I've had power-pickup issues on BLI PA's, Centipede, E8, and Precision Craft E7. Changed out the rear wheelsets on all of them except the Centipede (have never tried to resolve that one just due to lack of time). After all of that, the "uncertainty as to whether I can get the problem to go away", today I don't even consider more BLI diesels. Too bad, these diesels look nice, sound good, but if they don't run reliably, it's deal killer for me. Seems I have company. I'm glad some others haven't had that experience - we all would love to know "what's different about those who have not had problems?" I don't think we've ever established what the difference is. But bottom line.... my BLI diesels have been nothing like the rock-solid electrical contacts that my Kato PA's (and Athearn FP45/F45, and other Kato's, and other Atlas) always deliver on exactly the same trackwork. So, I don't think it's my Kato Unitrack. That all said, still do the wheelset swap as I described. It clearly makes things better. And maybe your results will be better than mine on an aggregate. Hope so!If anyone can establish "why some certain BLI diesels for some people don't have pickup problems but so many others do seem to have problems"... I'm all ears.
This might be why I have never had a problem with my BLI locos, all my 4-E8s and 4-PA1s have pointed axles ends.