Author Topic: engine test stand with rollers  (Read 2924 times)

propmeup1

• Crew
  • Respect: +64
Re: engine test stand with rollers
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2021, 04:10:08 PM »
+1
The PRR had that too. you can find photos of the T1 6110 on it and some K4s. I would love to be there next to it.

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +201
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2021, 07:14:36 PM »
The PRR had that too. you can find photos of the T1 6110 on it and some K4s. I would love to be there next to it.

This thread here shows an E6 4-4-2 on the test stand in Altoona.  Other interesting steam pictures and comments follow.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/grassroots-railroad-sports/161868/page9/

John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

SandyEggoJake

• Crew
  • It's pronounced Sandy AHHH Go
  • Respect: +57
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2021, 08:30:33 PM »
I was lucky enough to get some of the last of the Bachrus stock, which won't help you.  But the other day saw this odd "new to me" on ebay.  Search "Train Treadmill 160" .  No idea how well these work, but would be interested in a review. 

Roger Holmes

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2021, 11:36:02 PM »
My N scale rollers are in a clear clam shell which holds four unmarked sets which appear to be aluminum screwed to a black plastic spacer with four roller bearings in each unit.  Each roller fits into a separate pocket in the clam shell.  No markings or paper with these.  I don't think that I have even taken them out of the package.  Bought them 4-5 years ago.  Does this give any clue as to brand?

I will try to grab a couple cell phone photos soon.
Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +649
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2021, 04:36:40 PM »
The several mentions of the "Bachrus" stands caused me to do a search.  Here's a link and what you'll find is they addressed the issues I identified and in basically the same way.  What's missing is support for steam pilots, trailing trucks, and tenders.  Also, look at the price, converted to dollars.  My rough cost estimate at about $10 less, absent a dealer markup, is probably pretty good. ;)

https://www.digitrains.co.uk/shop-by-brand/bachrus/40zsa3.html
Mark G.

haasmarc

• Crew
  • Respect: +215
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2021, 05:01:07 PM »
I have the Bachrus system and I have blocks that go under leading/trailing trucks and a bigger one for under a tender.
Marc Haas
Keeping the Reading alive in N scale!

narrowminded

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2021, 07:29:55 PM »
I have the Bachrus system and I have blocks that go under leading/trailing trucks and a bigger one for under a tender.

Do you like the performance? :|
Mark G.

CodyO

• Crew
  • Cody Orr-SPF
  • Respect: +190
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2021, 08:42:29 PM »

Very happy with how mine works I have the same setup plus a speedo meter for speed matching
Modeling the Pennsylvania Middle Division in late 1954
             Nothing Will Stop The US Air Force

kiwi_al

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2021, 09:38:02 PM »

Roger Holmes

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2021, 09:57:36 PM »
Here are two photos of the ones that I have.  Does anybody know what brand they might be?  Once I figure that out I will know how to price them and will put them in the Trading Post.

Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

haasmarc

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2021, 11:12:05 PM »

I like them.  I haven't used them a bunch but they have worked well the few times I did.
Marc Haas

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +3023
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2021, 12:50:50 AM »
So all those ball bearings conduct electricity well? Interesting.  I recall Max discarding his idea of using ball bearings for his scratchbuilt steam loco, because the ball bearings were very poor conductors of electricity.
. . . 42 . . .

narrowminded

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2021, 10:26:25 AM »
So all those ball bearings conduct electricity well? Interesting.  I recall Max discarding his idea of using ball bearings for his scratchbuilt steam loco, because the ball bearings were very poor conductors of electricity.

I wondered about that, too.  There's a possibility that I already considered that there might be a phosphor bronze whisker between the frame and the outer race because ball bearings aren't reliable conductors.  I also considered the possibility that the track side shouldn't be ball bearings at all but turned one piece wheels (nickel silver?) with a small diameter shaft with point contact to a metal conductor in the support.  The devil is in the details! 8)  It probably works acceptably because there are sixteen of those bearings (or more) engaged with wheels so they get to play the averages. :|
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 10:30:54 AM by narrowminded »
Mark G.

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +395
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2021, 08:21:32 PM »

Nope. I have the DCC Concepts set, and when they work, I like them. But, I have a heck of a time getting good contact through them. I would say maybe 30-40% of the time.
Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

haasmarc

• Crew
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2021, 10:06:08 PM »
Nope. I have the DCC Concepts set, and when they work, I like them. But, I have a heck of a time getting good contact through them. I would say maybe 30-40% of the time.

I haven't had any conduction issues with the Bachrus system.
Marc Haas