Author Topic: Erie Dunmore Caboose Kit  (Read 1843 times)

paggs

• Respect: +34
Erie Dunmore Caboose Kit
« on: January 03, 2021, 09:48:11 PM »
Does anyone currently make a Erie Dunmore Caboose in N scale? I have seen some sort of kit made with a resin casting on a web site called the Spruce Crafts.

jargonlet

• Crew
  • Respect: +133
Re: Erie Dunmore Caboose Kit
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 10:43:35 PM »
There aren't any that I know of. I sure missed it if there were. I could use quite a few of these.

x600

• Crew
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 03:06:54 AM »
Someone was doing some resin or 3d printed shells, but I'll be darned if I could remember where
or who. No, I didn't dream it :D
I'm pretty sure it was here. They weren't doing them commercially, and it was kinda experimental.
I could use a few myself. I'll look around and report back.......
.......Found it!

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=44098.msg565870#msg565870

Greg O.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 03:18:37 AM by x600 »

jargonlet

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 03:13:57 AM »
I remember that also can’t remember where. The last post I remember seeing they had stalled on the project and don’t think they finished it. I could be wrong though.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4199
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 11:14:51 AM »
+1
We were looking at it.  We have the engineering drawings for it.  But it's not in the immediate group of kits to do currently.  Though it is more viable to do now with SLA printing being more affordable.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 11:16:30 AM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

jargonlet

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 04:06:53 PM »
If you’re modeling Erie Lackawanna and not Erie then the upcoming DL&W wood caboose kit Bryan is doing would be a good fit. Also if you can find the older Keyser Valley kit then that would be good too.

jargonlet

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 04:09:11 PM »
@bbussey Any update as to when the DL&W wood caboose kit is due? I don’t know if the demand would merit a second run but I’d love to have one of the KV cabooses.

CodyO

• Crew
  • Cody Orr-SPF
  • Respect: +194
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2021, 12:03:29 AM »
We were looking at it.  We have the engineering drawings for it.  But it's not in the immediate group of kits to do currently.  Though it is more viable to do now with SLA printing being more affordable.

Bryan that would be great, I'm mainly pennsy but can't pass up the home road that ran 40 feet away from my childhood home......34 years before I was born....
Modeling the Pennsylvania Middle Division in late 1954
             Nothing Will Stop The US Air Force

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2021, 02:50:35 AM »
@bbussey Any update as to when the DL&W wood caboose kit is due? I don’t know if the demand would merit a second run but I’d love to have one of the KV cabooses.

This year hopefully.  The plan is to release four kits this year.  Looks like the G32B will be first.  Still have to procure the T-Truck frames for the DL&W caboose.  I have been waiting on a response from Bachmann for a while.  I've learned last year that Bowser is making them and is supplying Bachmann, so I will contact Bowser for them. That's a major roadblock at the moment, and the cupola has to be redesigned.  It probably will be SLA 3D-printed and the window frames will stay etched brass.  The main body window frames also were a problem as etched metal and we may 3D-print them as well.  The rest of the original design is good I think.

A second KV run definitely is not in the cards.  I lost my casting contractors, the original molds are long gone and the masters may not survive another casting.  I might be able to scrape together a KV kit for you if you need one.  Would have to check to see if there are any passable underframes remaining.  Send me a PM.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2021, 02:52:38 AM »
Bryan that would be great, I'm mainly pennsy but can't pass up the home road that ran 40 feet away from my childhood home......34 years before I was born....

Erie was gone before I was born too, albeit only a few months, but still a fallen flag when I came into the world.  The Dunmores are neat.  Someday.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net