Author Topic: Need BELL volume CV  (Read 1610 times)

MarkInLA

• Crew
  • Respect: -61
Need BELL volume CV
« on: November 23, 2020, 05:40:53 PM »
Well, not a new topic, but :
What is the CV for bell volume / NCE PowerCab ? I lost my owner's manual and know there is an online manual.. But for now would someone just give me that info...
Thanks, M

woodone

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
Re: Need BELL volume CV
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 05:52:53 PM »
+1
There is no volume for a Power Cab— We need to know what decoder you are using?

MarkInLA

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 08:23:41 PM »
No no, sir.
I'm asking what CV in the NCE PowerCab controls the bell; all bells; their speed/their vol.  Bell I am concerned with happens to be in a Bmann HO Ten Wheeler with Bmann's usual Tsunami decoder which I believe is manufac# 141 or some such.
Ex: Putting CV 8 to value 8 restores all DCC locos to factory settings...(btw, this move does not restore bell volume either)...
What is the CV for bell volume in an NCE PowerCab ?
Thanks again, M

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +496
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 08:47:11 PM »
+1
CV's are in the loco's decoder, not in the DCC system controller. At least, I've never heard of such a thing.

But, I have seen certain decoders set up so that hitting a certain function key cycles thru something like horn types and sometimes even the volume.

I'm assuming that's what you're referring to?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 08:52:02 PM by tehachapifan »

MarkInLA

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 03:03:11 AM »
November 24, 2020, 03:03:11 AM - Hidden.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 08:46:12 PM by MarkInLA »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2842
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 03:54:22 AM »
Mark, you seem to be going in circles here.
You finally provided the decoder info that is required to answer your question.  Soundtraxx Tsunami, right?

All those sound settings reside inside the decoder. The DCC command station (in your case the Power Cab is the throttle, command station, and the booster all in one) has no knowledge of what sound decoder is sitting on its programming track (on on main line).

Have you looked in the Tsunami manual for the answer you are seeking?  It will be in there.  Some basic manual likely came inside of the loco's box, and full manuals are available for download at the manufacturers website. Either model manufacturers, or the decoder manufacturers.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 03:58:03 AM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

Steveruger45

• Crew
  • Respect: +453
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 07:42:58 AM »
+1
Mark, Like others have said you need to know what decoder you have and what cv to adjust on it for the desired change.
That info will be in the decoder manuals and guides.
I did a quick google search of “soundtraxx tsunami cv list” And quite a few hits came up with various pdf files, some for steam and some for diesel etc. including this one.

http://www.tonystrains.com/download/Tsunami_CV_Summary.pdf

And here is the powercab manual

https://ncedcc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/article_attachments/200498789/Power_Cab_V_1.65_Manual.pdf

Now, if you’re talking about the quillable whistle feature only the nce procab does that AFAIK.
Here is a link describing what to set up.

http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/744/t/141368.aspx

Hope this helps out.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 07:57:20 AM by Steveruger45 »
Steve
Atascocita, Texas

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +1705
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2020, 07:59:15 AM »
+1
I have an NCE system. You need the manual to your Tsunami decoder. Then you can program the engine on the mainline or on the programming track, select the program CV option, and enter the appropriate CV numbers and values. But as everyone has stated, you need the decoder manual as those CV numbers and values vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and even among decoder models from the same manufacturer. The decoder manual should be downloadable from the Tsunami site.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +748
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2020, 09:57:14 AM »
+1
Here is the page from the Soundtraxx site that has all of the original Tsunami (not the new Tsunami II) decoder manuals.

https://soundtraxx.com/manuals/tsunami-digital-sound-decoder

CV 130 controls the bell volume on both steam and diesel Tsunami decoders.

CV114 is the bell ring rate. 

Dowload the Diesel or Steam User's Guide as appropriate from the linked page.  Turn to page 35 in the diesel manual, page 36 in the Steam manual.

John C.

conrad

• Crew
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2020, 10:59:37 AM »
+1
What ?!! Did I get teleported to a different planet ?? ! ! 

Yes, model trains are sometimes disconcerting.

With more and more "electronic" features comes greater and greater complexity.

Conrad

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +367
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2020, 11:09:44 AM »
+1
MarkinLA,

I think you may have crossed two concepts in your memory.  The PowerCab (command station and throttle) can be programmed to assign functions to different buttons.  But, I have never seen anything like doing programming-on-the-main to change decoder CVs with a throttle function button.  You need to go into the decoder programming mode with your PowerCab to do that.

Looking at a manual for a Bachmann version of an Economi decoder in my HO scale 4-4-0, I see that there are CVs that can be changed for Bell ring rate and volume.  I am not going to give you the CV number in my manual for two reasons: (1) there seems to be a typo in my manual so that this CV has a "0" in one place and a "9" in the same place further down the page, so I don't know which is the typo, and, besides (2) the bell volume CV may have a different number in a different decoder version that is in your loco, compared to mine.  Giving you the wrong number CV to change could just cause even more headaches.

So, you will need to find the proper manual for the decoder that is in your particular loco model.  Bachmann is the best source of that info for a Bachmann loco, because the versions of the Economi decoders that Bachmann uses are not identical to the ones Soundtraxx sells commercially.  The number 141 on your decoder is the manufacturer's number, which I believe is "Bachmann" (but don't hold me to that, because I am going on memory).  The particular decoder that is in my Bachmann HO 4-4-0 is version 082.  If that is the same decoder version that is in your HO Bachmann 4-6-0, then maybe I can play around with mine and tell you how to do what you want to do.  Please check before just assuming they are the same.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 11:19:25 AM by Maletrain »

MarkInLA

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2020, 05:07:15 PM »
November 24, 2020, 05:07:15 PM - Hidden.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 05:10:51 PM by MarkInLA »

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +496
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2020, 05:23:47 PM »
+1
Mkay...

For the record, what John gave you were the CV's for the decoder, not the DCC power station.

... I've done this many times before; same with back bmf, chuff rate, main volume, whistle type, kick rate, factory reset (CV8 to 8 [Why would it do that if it didn't know what decoder engine has ?])...

CV8 for a factory reset is one of the very few (perhaps the only?) widely used CV standards between decoder brands. Bell volume and rate CV's are certainly not standardized.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 05:39:31 PM by tehachapifan »

Steveruger45

• Crew
  • Respect: +453
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2020, 05:31:10 PM »
+2
And those cvs are in the link with the cv list descriptions I gave too.
Steve
Atascocita, Texas

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +1705
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2020, 05:37:08 PM »
+6
Special THANK YOU to John C. [jdcolombo] for that simple info I've now had to type a thousand words prior to just to get those 2 little CV numbers !!
M

You know, you COULD have looked it up yourself, in the Tsunami manual, instead of blasting all the people who offered assistance  — by looking up the numbers in the Tsunami manual.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net