Author Topic: Flip-Over Open Sign  (Read 921 times)

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
Flip-Over Open Sign
« on: September 20, 2020, 07:32:25 AM »
This late addition is courtesy of some brainstorming on the Railwire. This was an interesting suggestion made by Cody Fisher: the shop owner flips the sign over between Open and Closed. The sign is accurately-scaled, so it's only about ⅛-inch wide, so it numbers among the tiniest objects I've animated.

Introducing the beating heart of this project, yet another low-RPM geared mechanism. The small pinion gear, just above center far right, controls the sign's movements. Right above the gear is a microswitch that controls when to stop turning. That tiny hole in the center of the small copper bar holds one end of a 0.004" stainless steel wire; on the other end is the sign. It took a bit of experimenting to render readable signs at that size, and I also tried various colors (fine-point Sharpie); I chose orange, bottom right.

The whole shebang is held in place with one screw (below, lower left), and can easily be removed for maintenance. It's also operated by a single pushbutton: just push it to change the sign.

It's pretty crazy to see the thing in action...

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
Re: Flip-Over Open Sign
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 06:29:56 AM »
That's great. Love it.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 09:50:04 AM »
"Aaaaaaaah!  It's ghosts!"

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 02:44:19 PM »
When I detail the interior of the store, I'll have a figure posed behind the sign with their hand up near it...