Author Topic: Proto:87 Quick Switching Test  (Read 2689 times)

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
Proto:87 Quick Switching Test
« on: August 22, 2020, 02:50:41 PM »
+6
I wanted to share this quick-and-dirty video of an HO train converted to Proto:87 wheels and Sergent knuckle couplers.  (Everything you see is very much a WIP.)

Enjoy!  ;)

Ed

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
Re: Proto:87 Quick Switching Test
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 04:13:02 PM »
+3
Cool!  Now you're cookin' with gas.  I love seeing the slack in the coupler let out.  You forgot to connect the air line though. :)

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 05:31:24 PM »
+2
Ooh, @ednadolski, tell me about the wheelsets.  I’m already committed to Sergent Engineering couplers.

Thanks,
DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

amato1969

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 05:44:43 PM »
Tasty!!!

pjm20

• Crew
  • Modeling the Bellefonte Central
  • Respect: +141
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 06:48:47 PM »
How do you like Sergeant's couplers for switching? I've seen a mix of reviews on their ability to switch reliably compared to Kadees and I would be interested on your take.
Peter
Modeling the Bellefonte Central Railroad circa 1953
PRRT&HS #8862
Live Steam Enthusiast

Check out my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/PennsyModeler

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2020, 07:11:33 PM »
+1
How do you like Sergeant's couplers for switching? I've seen a mix of reviews on their ability to switch reliably compared to Kadees and I would be interested on your take.

No, they aren’t perfect, just like the real thing.  Sometimes a “pin” won’t drop.  Sometimes they aren’t lined up perfectly.  Again, just like the real thing.  I love ‘em.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

milw12

• Crew
  • Respect: +319
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2020, 10:18:09 PM »
Hawt stuff :drool:

The shelf is looking good too!

Lucas

ednadolski

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2020, 10:32:56 AM »
+2
Ooh, @ednadolski, tell me about the wheelsets.  I’m already committed to Sergent Engineering couplers.

Wheelsets are all NWSLs.   These cars have the 36" Code 64/P87 profile, I use them in two lengths (0.970" and 1.015") to fit the trucks as needed.   Some trucks (ie, Ath. Genesis w/rotating caps) won't take the pointed axles so I use the Kadee trucks instead.

For diesels I've used the 40" half-axle wheels with either the 1.5mm or 3/32" axles.   (The 42" ones in the pic are for future projects ;) ).    IDK if NWSL has anything that would fit a ScaleTrains loco, as I understand those have a different axle size, but I don't have one to measure.

I need some 33" wheels for some of my other cars.

ednadolski

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2020, 01:05:07 PM »
I love seeing the slack in the coupler let out.

I've only ever otherwise been able to get that with the O-scale Protocraft couplers.   I'm thinking to perhaps try filing the screw holes to make them a bit more elongated, if that might enhance the effect enough to make it worthwhile.

BTW I do leave out the centering springs.  I've found that they can induce a slinky effect (some things never change, sigh...).  I try to leave the coupler free to move fairly easily, but might add some thin shims when one gets too floppy.

Ed

ednadolski

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2020, 01:11:27 PM »
You forgot to connect the air line though. :)

There is that option with the tiny magnets but I haven't tried that yet in HO scale.  Some of these cars have the rigid plastic air hoses which seem to do a good job of snapping off on their own....  :facepalm:

Not sure tho if that's something that I would want for a switching layout that mostly focuses on shuffling cars around.  I guess it depends on the prototype and the specific situation, but they don't always connect and pump up the air line for every move, do they?   I should think it's not needed if they are only moving a few cars for a short distance, and expect to add/remove additional cars.  Then the train line setup would take too much time...?

Ed

sd45elect2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +452
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2020, 01:13:13 PM »
+2
I have a bunch of the proto 87 street track. I am planning on using it for N scale, this stuff is small !! I like it !

CSXBaltimore

• Crew
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2020, 02:46:49 PM »
That just looks right. Niice.

J

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1100
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2020, 01:46:38 PM »
I have been thinking of using the Proto Street Track system in a small shelf and of course have to switch over to Proto wheels as well.  How do the wheels work on Atlas Switches?

Joe
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

sd45elect2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +452
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2020, 02:29:45 PM »
I have been thinking of using the Proto Street Track system in a small shelf and of course have to switch over to Proto wheels as well.  How do the wheels work on Atlas Switches?

Joe

Joe, are you talking N scale or HO ?

ednadolski

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2020, 03:33:19 PM »
How do the wheels work on Atlas Switches?

Proto wheels generally won't work on NMRA switches, there are just too many dimensions where they differ.  Commercial track also tends to be rather sloppy wrt conformance even to NMRA specs.  I've never heard that Atlas made anything to Proto:Scale dimensions.

That said, Micro Engineering flextrack is made well enough that Proto:87 wheels run fine on it.  The ME turnouts can be converted to P:87 specs with a bit of work.

Ed