Author Topic: Seeking photos of painted/weathered Peco code 55  (Read 6171 times)

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
Re: Seeking photos of painted/weathered Peco code 55
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2020, 01:04:06 PM »
+1
Well, from a distance the chairs do kinda look like chunky spikes. But they are all uniform in size and distance apart from one another, with that considered how hard would it be to make a fixed painting mask? I imagine a quick one two drybrushing on every spike would improve the look even further and with a good mask you neither need to be precise or careful.

The whole track is getting drybrushed plus the individual tie paining.  It's all good.  It's also worth remembering again that this is a show layout I'm building...a "side piece" and not my dream layout.  That, of course, would be the HOn3 Rio Grande Southern.

CRL

• Crew
  • Needs More Dirt.
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2020, 01:30:42 PM »
Honesty time...  I'm kinda playing lip service to the idea of shaving off the rail clip/spike head detail (whatever you want to call it) but the truth is, I won't.  It really doesn't bother me that much.  It's a lot of effort which--if done hurriedly or sloppily as I am known to do from time to time--could do more harm than good and the ultimate payoff isn't worth the time or risk to my aging eyes.  I know I'm overdue for bifocals!

I'm happy with how this is looking.

(Attachment Link)

You should be pleased with these results. I’ll continue to use Peco code 55 track. I started using it when it first came out and see no reason to change. Yes, the “spike” is too big, but if it bugs you, take a sharp chisel and shave it off. I’ll only use Atlas if I need a crossing that Peco doesn’t offer since they have most all of the other items I’ll need. I might even resort to hand laying if I need something odd... but probably won’t be necessary.

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2020, 01:31:18 PM »
+6
Eh...you know what?  Screw you guys, I'm goin' with this:

:trollface:

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +542
« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2020, 01:38:39 PM »

I thought you were doing n scale. Don't know why you'd use an HO gauntlet track.
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +714
« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2020, 01:52:25 PM »

Doing so would enable you to thrill the kiddies at the train shows by being able to run this:

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2020, 02:29:29 PM »
+3
Real talk, though...  I'm feeling really good about my choice here.  I don't need validation, and people who make different choices about track don't need me to do exactly as they did to validate their choices either.  The purpose of this thread is no deeper than the title suggests...I'm looking for (and have received) fine examples of Peco code 55 weathered and ballasted well.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7961
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2020, 02:31:57 PM »
+1
Real talk, though...  I'm feeling really good about my choice here.  I don't need validation, and people who make different choices about track don't need me to do exactly as they did to validate their choices either.  The purpose of this thread is no deeper than the title suggests...I'm looking for (and have received) fine examples of Peco code 55 weathered and ballasted well.

Thank you for saying this.

I feel like the hive mind here, in its desire to help people, often ends up ignoring the reasons people make certain choices or berating them for them instead of actually being helpful.

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2020, 02:36:14 PM »
+3

I feel like the hive mind here, in its desire to help people, often ends up ignoring the reasons people make certain choices or berating them for them instead of actually being helpful.

Better modeling through peer pressure is important to a point, but then sometimes...

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +542
« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2020, 02:46:24 PM »
Better modeling through peer pressure is important to a point, but then sometimes...

I agree! But my question still stands and I'll start a thread on it when I'm closer to starting a layout. But @robert3985 said it best... HAVE FUN! That's what this hobby is about. Well most of the time.
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +714
« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2020, 02:48:53 PM »
Your "proof of concept" model looks great:

You've bought the track you need.

Are you still having some second thoughts?
If so, what more can be said that would help reassure you that you're making the right decision?

Maybe take a picture of a train on your test section of track?

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2020, 02:53:57 PM »
+2
Your "proof of concept" model looks great:

You've bought the track you need.

Are you still having some second thoughts?
If so, what more can be said that would help reassure you that you're making the right decision?

Maybe take a picture of a train on your test section of track?

Haha!  No, I'm having whatever the opposite of second thoughts are.  The pictures others have shown really helps solidify my confidence in using Peco 55 and still having it look the part.  Oh, and yeah, I've taken pictures of trains on the track  :D:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 02:55:45 PM by Dave V »

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2020, 03:08:32 PM »

You get no qualms from me.  I think for the purpose that you have described, i.e, a display layout to be taken to shows, N Scale Code 55 track is a great choice.  I really like the way you detailed the track, and I love this picture, especially considering it's only a proof of concept model.  (I also enjoy busting your balls about that front coupler.  Hahahahaha!!!)  Now, get started.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

CRL

• Crew
  • Needs More Dirt.
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2020, 04:50:12 PM »

You could at least stick with 2 rail American Flyer track. 😜

nuno81291

• Crew
  • Respect: +311
« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2020, 07:27:22 PM »
My only input is the proto photos posted look more in the dirt! Either way your test track looks very good. I hope it yields a robust layout that can perform its duty as a show layout.
Guilford Rail System in the 80s/90s

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2020, 08:48:50 PM »

That's like what, code 220 rail or so?   Only about 35 scale inches in N... ;)

Ed