Author Topic: Seeking photos of painted/weathered Peco code 55  (Read 6187 times)

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8552
Seeking photos of painted/weathered Peco code 55
« on: July 24, 2020, 10:05:37 PM »
Exactly as the subject line says...  I'm look for inspiration for my new N scale project using Peco code 55, so I'm hoping some of you have photos of your painted/weathered and ballasted Peco code 55 track.  Your photo, photos, or video will be rewarded by the awkwardly aroused stare on my avatar.  You're welcome in advance.

On another front I'm still wrestling with what to use for ballast.  The Colorado Midland was built in a hurry...it was trying to beat the D&RG to several places and lost out (mainly because it had to rely on an understandably uncooperative D&RG to interchange construction supplies!).  Its hurried construction involved the use of "local materials"--dirt--as ballast until some future time the right of way would be upgraded.  That time never came.  I'm modeling roughly 1905-ish so photos from the area show cinder in many places, but also light-colored fine material in other places (probably the same dirt it was graded with).  So...I'm torn.  Dirt?  Cinders?  Both?  I think the trackwork on my previous version of the CMRy using Arizona Rock & Mineral C&TS ballast came off with a bit too much polish; it looks almost mainline by my eye.  No photographs I've ever found of the Midland suggest quite so well a maintained right of way.

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +989
Re: Seeking photos of painted/weathered Peco code 55
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 11:08:14 PM »
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Looking at pictures I would say both, with significantly more cinders where there would be grades and in yards.

It also looks like the grade is very shallow with minimal drainage and shoulders. unkempt and rushed seems to be the theme...  :D
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 11:10:10 PM »
If you you want to PM your digits for text or your email addy, I can send you a few of a buddies.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1081
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 11:14:15 PM »

Looking at pictures I would say both, with significantly more cinders where there would be grades and in yards.

It also looks like the grade is very shallow with minimal drainage and shoulders. unkempt and rushed seems to be the theme...  :D

Though it may be tricky to replicate that with what we normally use for fine ballast. I notice that at least with N its kinda hard to get that look and have it not look like sloppy modeling. Does any MFG offer anything finer than ARM's fine ballast that's also workable in a reasonable manner?
-Al

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +989
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 11:19:29 PM »
Some more inspiration...  :D
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 11:24:28 PM »
Some more inspiration...  :D

That's one of my favorite shots.  I'm actually not short on photos (two thick books plus the Denver Public Library digital collection) but they're all black and white...so the color escapes me.  I've hiked the Midland grade both near Buena Vista and on the eastern assault on Hagerman Pass, but since both locations are "improved trails," it's hard to know what original material was.  I've found cinders though.

I do like how the cinder on my test piece came out.

Such is one of the many challenges of modeling a road that died before the advent of color film.

If you you want to PM your digits for text or your email addy, I can send you a few of a buddies.

PM sent.

Tom L

• Crew
  • Respect: +495
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 11:33:58 PM »
Here’s mine, I did this 15 years ago. Krylon Spray paint, woodlands scenic gray ballast and ARM cinders. Not inspirational but worth a awkward stare.

I wish Peco would give me a reason to tear it up and replace it with American prototrack

Tom L
Wellington CO

Curtis Kyger

• Crew
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2020, 11:43:17 PM »
https://www.therailwire.net/forum/gallery/9/4158-070219142442.jpeg

I use Woodland Scenic fine ballast and then after it's set, I come back with a brush-over of fine crushed rock which was an unbranded find at a hobby shop in Tempe, AZ

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2020, 11:46:12 PM »
Tom, that looks great!

Thanks Curtis, that looks great too!

I think the cinder may end up being the winner layout-wide going forward.  I think any other choice would be harder to defend when we know that almost every North American railroad used cinder ballast to some extent around the turn of the last century.

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2020, 11:52:35 PM »
If you really want the dirt look I think AR&M has a few very fine dirt mixes to choose from. Or use @Ed Kapuscinskis favorite sanded grout. Or get some of that decomposed granite you once sent me home with a tub of and a good morter and pestle.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2020, 11:58:13 PM »
If you really want the dirt look I think AR&M has a few very fine dirt mixes to choose from. Or use @Ed Kapuscinskis favorite sanded grout. Or get some of that decomposed granite you once sent me home with a tub of and a good morter and pestle.

That's the runner-up...  Living but a few miles from the former CMRy makes obtaining said "local materials" is both easy and economical.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2020, 12:33:24 AM »
I sent Dave a bunch of photos I took but not of my layout.
I've used PECO track in the past and my biggest gripe has always been the one gigantic spike per tie more than any other perceived deficiencies.
That one large spike is just so hard not to notice no matter the weathering and ballasting.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515

CRL

• Crew
  • Needs More Dirt.
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2020, 01:31:09 AM »
That's the runner-up...  Living but a few miles from the former CMRy makes obtaining said "local materials" is both easy and economical.

Here’s what you do... grab a bucket, fine mesh tea strainer, find a convenient dirt road or construction project & start sifting.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2020, 02:20:26 AM »
From the looks of the prototype, you can sift it directly onto the track, doing a few feet, gluing that, letting it dry, then gluing a few more feet.  If you're using local dirt, it won't matter if some gets on the surrounding scenery, since that's probably where the prototype got it from.
N Kalanaga
Be well