Author Topic: MT FT A&B  (Read 1101 times)

propmeup1

• Crew
  • Respect: +112
MT FT A&B
« on: July 17, 2020, 09:53:47 AM »
Just found a set of MT Reading FT A&B units.  Question, Has anyone here installed sound decoders in those and is there much difficulty ? I'm a machinist so if there is any mill work that's not an issue.
Thank you,

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
Re: MT FT A&B
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 12:40:48 PM »
Does MTL still offer a FT-B?

The only recent releases I've seen are just the A's as part of a train set...

propmeup1

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 01:13:30 PM »
I don't know. i just found two sets of these on -bay.

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1238
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 02:20:57 PM »
So I've never had a Micro-Trains FT, but they were designed for DCC. So while you'll need to do some milling for the speakers, the motor is already isolated from the frames.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 02:48:18 PM »
As with many projects, there is a previous Railwire thread.  The actual install photos begin several messages in.
https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=43013.0
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

haasmarc

• Crew
  • Respect: +731
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 03:08:25 PM »
One thing to think about as far as the engines themselves, is that when released, due to the slightly shorter wheelbase of the B unit, there could be some gear noise.  If I recall, one of the truck tower gears literally hits the frame.  At the time, Micro-Trains allowed you to send them in for repair, which I did, and that took care of it.  I never had a need to open it up but I assume they just machined some of the frame away to clear the gear.

The other thing to consider is the Intermountain FT's.  Neither one is perfect.  The cab/nose on the Intermountain is better and the green color of the stripe is better, however, the molding of the MT's is crisper and the MT's sit a little lower on the trucks.  Just have to pick which issues bug you less.  Intermountain announced DCC/Sound versions of the RDG FT's but that was years ago and I don't know what the status of them is at the moment. 

Both models are DCC ready but would need milling for a speaker.

I know these are answers to questions you didn't ask but since you hadn't bought any yet I thought I would lay out the options.
Marc Haas
Keeping the Reading alive in N scale!

propmeup1

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2020, 04:55:18 PM »
Ok as usual you guys have the answers here.  I like that weather job.  RDG black ones showed their dirt in a real hurry.     Thank you,

KTB

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2020, 05:11:56 PM »
It never ceases to intrigue me how, given the same prototype, models from two manufacturers can have such different results--some subtle, some pronounced. For instance, the grills around the exhaust stacks, size and shape of the windshields, size and placement of the horns, etc., etc. I can stare at the images for hours, playing a game of "spot the differences."

Sorry, I digress; back to your regularly-scheduled thread.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2020, 06:13:27 PM »
Intermountain announced DCC/Sound versions of the RDG FT's but that was years ago and I don't know what the status of them is at the moment. 
You may be in luck.  Their page says "confirmed for production", which if I understand, means probably sometime before the colonization of Mars.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.