Author Topic: ScaleTrains Upcoming Announcement  (Read 20300 times)

propmeup1

• Crew
  • Respect: +112
Re: ScaleTrains Upcoming Announcement
« Reply #165 on: July 29, 2020, 07:47:50 PM »
I could be wrong and my X wife said i was always wrong but, when ever i see Shane at a show he just doesn't seem interested in steam.  Hope i'm wrong and someone does the H8 or a Y6B with aux tender.

DeltaBravo

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +189
    • N-Scale and other interest
« Reply #166 on: July 30, 2020, 08:30:42 AM »
+2
It doesn't surprise me. People have lost their god damned minds. It's what happens when people think they can say whatever crazy thing comes into their heads with no repercussions. I call it the 4chan effect. People let their lizard brains take over when they're yelling at a screen and it's being normalized.

It's ugly and I'm afraid it's only going to get worse until we figure out how to use this technology responsibly.

I was disappointed that ST went with another turbine for UP verses something with a broader appeal, but folks getting angry is just stupid. I hope it sells well and they come back next time with something available in multiple liveries.
David B.

Member WMRHS

https://undara.wordpress.com/

Bob

• Crew
  • Respect: +545
« Reply #167 on: July 30, 2020, 11:26:42 AM »
Well said, David B.  We should be grateful that we have a manufacturer as excellent as ST that produces in the N scale market.  It is obvious that any locomotive produced by them will, almost by definition, be of interest to a minority of N scale modelers given the various eras that we all model.  While the turbines don't fit with my modern era CSX layout, I am still pleased that ST is producing N scale equipment that will be of interest to other N scalers.  If they continue to produce N scale products, which we all hope they do, then with time they will likely produce locomotives and cars that will be good fits for all of our various model empires.  Keep up the good work ScaleTrains!

Rossford Yard

• Crew
  • Respect: +144
« Reply #168 on: July 30, 2020, 11:55:47 AM »
+4
To be honest, I was very surprised when new companies came in and competed well with Atlas and Kato, who themselves came in and competed with Roco, Rapido, etc. 30 years ago.  Those two raised the bar a lot.  A few, like LL and Bachman tried to compete, but without DCC, we couldn't run them together, so we stuck with Kato and Atlas.  (Yes, LO in particular did some improving in their GP 60 and 38, and even SD9 with the first narrow handrails I saw)

Then, to find IM, FRV, ST, BLI, etc. were willing to invest so much to up the ante (i.e. quality of n scale locos) to where we have five or maybe six (Rapido still makes a few for us that are high quality) good N scale loco mfgs. is amazing, especially in what were declining markets after 2006 (but presumably a bit better now)

For all they have given us in choice and quality, I believe it is pretty short sighted to give them crap when a loco doesn't fit your time period.  I hope for all of us that this sells, in particular because it may prove that "one off" locos some of us may be looking for can be made practically with new tooling techniques, whatever.  Before that, how many of us complained when the big announcement was yet another F7 or what have you?

Kato has been doing very specific trains, and I don't recall them getting a lot of grief (other than, "Why not more releases of the SD-40-2?), and it paid off. 

Atlas has always been willing to offer lesser known road paint schemes, perhaps helping other mfg see the light, and it paid off. 

IM took a big risk with the limited road names of the Tunnel Motors, and it paid off. 

Frankly, I bet the pay off is pretty small with these, and those companies are doing it because they love N scale as much as we do.  Let's hope they aren't vindictive and stay away from N Scale just to pay us whiners back!

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2098
« Reply #169 on: July 31, 2020, 07:10:55 PM »
+5
I am bubbling with joy , I hope they do all the numbers , and the Verandas , and the U50b's . ScaleTrains rocks .  :D

Richie Dost

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #170 on: July 31, 2020, 07:20:52 PM »
I am bubbling with joy , I hope they do all the numbers , and the Verandas , and the U50b's . ScaleTrains rocks .  :D

AS-616, someday?  :D  (I'm with you on all counts!)

Angus Shops

• Crew
  • Respect: +256
« Reply #171 on: August 01, 2020, 01:36:49 AM »
+1
“Bubbling with joy” - I am happy for you. Not enough people are “ bubbling with joy” these days. We need to find ways keep our sprits up. Personally I was a little disappointed with the announcement given that it didn’t fill a particular desire for me but your affirmation of happiness is good enough for me. 

kiwi_al

• Crew
  • Respect: +356
« Reply #172 on: August 01, 2020, 04:00:37 AM »

johnb

• Crew
  • Respect: +887
    • My blog
« Reply #173 on: August 01, 2020, 10:35:17 AM »
Have you seen this?
https://www.shapeways.com/product/QBHK49G88/n-scale-baldwin-as16?optionId=58655850   :D :D
it is a modified Baldwin, it doesn't match most that were built.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #174 on: August 01, 2020, 10:52:43 AM »
+1
Have you seen this?
https://www.shapeways.com/product/QBHK49G88/n-scale-baldwin-as16?optionId=58655850   :D :D

Yes, I knew about this. Aside from what John noted that it is not quite accurate for an AS-616, there's the burning issue of the trucks/bogies. How do you solve that, considering there are no available RTR or otherwise running chassis with the cast sideframes Baldwin used at the time?

Truth be, I've developed a pretty strong distaste for Shapeways projects. With about a dozen such shells on my bench of various prototypes I really want to have on my MRR, I've discovered the hard way, repeatedly, that the shell is just the beginning of a difficult, convoluted journey to get a reasonable representation that runs. Way too much time/work between acquiring the shell and a finished result, relative to other things on my platter.

pdx1955

• Crew
  • Respect: +337
« Reply #175 on: August 01, 2020, 01:50:21 PM »
Yes, I knew about this. Aside from what John noted that it is not quite accurate for an AS-616, there's the burning issue of the trucks/bogies. How do you solve that, considering there are no available RTR or otherwise running chassis with the cast sideframes Baldwin used at the time?

You can address the sideframe issue with these:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/RMVQJDQGB/baldwin-dt6-6-2000-side-frames-x2-n-scale-1-160?optionId=41842513
Peter

"No one ever died because of a bad question, but bad assumptions can kill"

flight2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +174
« Reply #176 on: August 02, 2020, 07:20:22 AM »
+1
You should see all of the whining going on about Athearn announcing another C44-9W on Friday (in the Genesis 2.0 line), which includes the NS Top Hats.....again.  I know they've had it in the works for awhile, but still this close to ST's deliveries....and I'd be shocked in Intermountain continues with their ow Dash 9 projects.  If they do, that's three major manufacturers coming out with highly detailed units in the span of three years.   :facepalm:

Me, I'm happy to have a great hobby to come home to every weekend.   :D

Brian
I've never met a covered hopper I didn't like.... :)
My (HO) NW Ohio Layout Feed: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=57633.msg793742#msg793742

Rossford Yard

• Crew
« Reply #177 on: August 03, 2020, 11:30:13 AM »

Me, I'm happy to have a great hobby to come home to every weekend.   :D

Brian

And for maybe an hour each night, hopefully.

Bigger picture, I agree with this.  I have as much collectoritis as anyone, with over 200 locos, and having sold off half as many to pay for new purchases.  And a mental list of loco models I "need" for some eventual dream layout that even I have to concede won't happen, if I'm honest.  And, I built display shelves to look at those that don't fit on my new smaller switching layout (which is all but 2 of them at any one time)

In the end, if I am actually running on my layout, I find it really doesn't affect my enjoyment to use the same few locos (with clean wheels that run well, after buying a few sound locos, that has even become optional on those occasions where I want to pull out a Chessie or whatever)

And yet, I find myself tempted to join in on any lament thread where an mfg. doesn't personally satisfy my perceived needs, causing very big (not) grievances.  I swear, once, when they didn't make a loco I wanted, I think I felt the world wobble on its axis for a bit.....Hey, maybe at age 65, I am growing up......at least a smidge. :D

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #178 on: August 03, 2020, 05:07:37 PM »
+1
And yet, I find myself tempted to join in on any lament thread where an mfg. doesn't personally satisfy my perceived needs, causing very big (not) grievances.  I swear, once, when they didn't make a loco I wanted, I think I felt the world wobble on its axis for a bit.....Hey, maybe at age 65, I am growing up......at least a smidge. :D

I am getting to an age where I figure if the manufacturers don't make what I want pretty soon, they won't be able to sell it when they do, because I won't be around to buy it anymore.

Although, in truth, I am not so much bothered by manufacturing decisions (I figure they will make what they expect to make a profit on), and I can get by so long as Kato makes F units and Atlas brings out an occasional run of GP-7s/9s  and/or the occasional swicher.  What bothers me is the overhyped pre-announcement of the coming announcement.  That sort of thing is what builds false expectations and speculation which result in disappointment and anger when the announcement comes.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

Rossford Yard

• Crew
« Reply #179 on: August 03, 2020, 05:14:45 PM »
I agree that it seems like the hype machine has gone into overdrive.  Not sure why.  More media outlets? Fewer sales overall makes for higher perceived marketing need?  They just know us too well?  LOL< they know they can get away with it, since we become new product foamers almost every time.