Author Topic: MTL DODX  (Read 1848 times)

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
MTL DODX
« on: May 18, 2020, 08:27:51 PM »
MTL's latest DODX release includes a new load -- a resin cast MLRS .. does anyone have one of these yet .. I'd like to see a pix of the vehicle quality .. TIA

« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 08:30:32 PM by John »

POVC

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
Re: MTL DODX
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 10:05:48 PM »
John,

I do... I'll try and take some pictures tomorrow and upload them, assuming someone else doesn't beat me to it.

FYI - load is in multiple pieces and needs to be assembled.

Tim

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 10:17:11 PM »
Thanks Tim ..  I'm debating if I should print some .. I just ordered the set from MBK ..

Mark W

• Crew
  • Respect: +2125
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 01:47:16 PM »
+2
I hate to say, but I think MTL made poor choice bundling these launchers with tanks and humvees, at least for those of us actively adding to our MTL military trains.   Do I want the launchers? Absolutely!  Do I want more tanks and humvees?  Well, no.   :|
So I'll have to wait until the launchers are released separately. 

I put all my Humvee's on the proper 89 foot flats, which means I now have about a dozen 68 footers that I don't have a need for already. 

https://i.imgur.com/SEQaXgN.jpg

And I already have more Humvees and M1s than I can fit on a moderately sized train as is. 

https://i.imgur.com/MMoNzwH.jpg

From another perspective though, MTL made a great choice bundling these, as it gives folks who are not yet modeling the military train a nice entry variety pack! 

Whether or not that was strategic, who knows.  I just hope they'll release the launchers separately, sooner rather than later. :)

Contact me about custom model building.
Learn more about Free-moNebraska.
Learn more about HOn3-mo.

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1529
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 01:57:52 PM »
So aside from the 68 footers, do I remember correctly that 60 footers could be pressed into service for single vehicles?
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2020, 04:13:07 PM »
I don't need more Hummers either .. and I have scaled some 1:100 armor off thingiverse to give me some variation .. time to practice the mid train DPU's :)

I need to figure out a way to have a load permanently mounted on something so that they can be taken off for storage .. without breaking the chain all the time ..

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 05:09:57 PM »
Mark, what small country are you planning to invade?  :D
Peter Pfotenhauer

pjm20

• Crew
  • Modeling the Bellefonte Central
  • Respect: +141
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 05:18:17 PM »
+1
Mark, what small country are you planning to invade?  :D

Unfortunately that train is about a company+ for a tank company and supporting vehicles and connexs with equipment.  :D On a prototypical note 1 ABCT is about 7 full trains; 2 are container and for 5 vehicles. There are usually whole trains dedicated to just combat vehicles (and depending on the BCT tracked vs wheeled) and whole trains to support vehicles like JLTVs, LMTVs, etc.

But not to take away from the modeling, that looks great!
Peter
Modeling the Bellefonte Central Railroad circa 1953
PRRT&HS #8862
Live Steam Enthusiast

Check out my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/PennsyModeler

POVC

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 07:50:14 PM »
+1
Picture of resin rocket launcher load parts...pardon the poor quality

Four parts are body, base, tracks (2), and rocket rails (grey piece)

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2020, 08:28:53 PM »
Picture of resin rocket launcher load parts...pardon the poor quality

Four parts are body, base, tracks (2), and rocket rails (grey piece)

Thanks .. I will probably try to 3d print this one ..

Mark W

• Crew
  • Respect: +2125
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2020, 11:31:41 PM »
+1
Unfortunately that train is about a company+ for a tank company and supporting vehicles and connexs with equipment.  :D On a prototypical note 1 ABCT is about 7 full trains; 2 are container and for 5 vehicles. There are usually whole trains dedicated to just combat vehicles (and depending on the BCT tracked vs wheeled) and whole trains to support vehicles like JLTVs, LMTVs, etc.

But not to take away from the modeling, that looks great!

Cool info!  I'm just trying to mimic a general make up of trains I've seen on youtube, balanced with train size limits from return loops and sidings of the layout.   Otherwise I know very little about the trains as a whole.
The only thing I know for sure is I'm transporting Marines, as commented by at least few dozen different show attendees upon seeing the LAVs!

https://i.imgur.com/5l22htn.jpg
Contact me about custom model building.
Learn more about Free-moNebraska.
Learn more about HOn3-mo.

pjm20

• Crew
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2020, 06:10:37 PM »
Marines I do not know much about. I would have to look up their MTOE. I would imagine it would be close to a mechanized IBCT. Probably 3-4 trains of vehicles  (mostly wheeled vehicles like humvees/JLTVs, LMTVs, etc with some armor) and 2 trains of containers.
Peter
PRRT&HS #8862
Live Steam Enthusiast

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1073
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2020, 07:19:29 PM »
Cool info!  I'm just trying to mimic a general make up of trains I've seen on youtube, balanced with train size limits from return loops and sidings of the layout.   Otherwise I know very little about the trains as a whole.
The only thing I know for sure is I'm transporting Marines, as commented by at least few dozen different show attendees upon seeing the LAVs!

Ah, so already a "Vintage Vignette" considering the Marines dumped all their heavy armor and big guns earlier this year
-Al

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2020, 08:30:39 PM »
Marines I do not know much about. I would have to look up their MTOE. I would imagine it would be close to a mechanized IBCT. Probably 3-4 trains of vehicles  (mostly wheeled vehicles like humvees/JLTVs, LMTVs, etc with some armor) and 2 trains of containers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Marine_Corps_battalions#Tank_battalions

Tank battalions

The mission of a tank battalion is to conduct operations ashore utilizing maneuver, armor protected firepower and shock action in order to close with and destroy the enemy, as well as provide expertise in anti-tank operations. Currently, tank battalions utilize the M1A1 Abrams main battle tank and the M88A2 Recovery Vehicle. Tank battalions consist of a headquarters and service company and four or six (4th Tanks) tank companies. Each tank company is equipped with 14 tanks and the H&S Co. has a section of two tanks in the battalion headquarters for use by the battalion CO and XO. By 2030 all the tanks battalions will be disbanded.[1]

Armor battalions

The mission of an armor unit is to conduct and support amphibious operations and other operations as required by landing and transporting to inland objectives the surface assault elements and their equipment, and by conducting light armored reconnaissance and limited offensive and defensive operations. When task-organized with infantry, tanks, and other forces, the battalion conducts combined arms operations as a separate maneuver element in support of the Marine Division.

Currently, Assault Amphibian (AA) battalions utilize the Amphibious Assault Vehicle (AAVP-7A1) and consist of a headquarters and service company and two to six AA companies. Each AA company is equipped with 42 AAVs (including personnel, command, and recovery variants) organized into three platoons of 12 AAVs each and an additional six AAVs in the company headquarters. Each AA platoon is capable of transporting an entire Marine rifle company plus any dismounted attachments (e.g., mortar forward observer teams, anti-tank missile crews, scout/sniper or reconnaissance squads) thus transforming into amphibious/mechanized infantry. (One AA company is capable of transporting the assault echelon of a Marine infantry battalion.) Although plans were in place to replace it with the Expeditionary Fighting Vehicle, the cancellation of the program is going to prolong use of the AAV.

Light Armored Reconnaissance (LAR) battalions use the LAV 25 series of vehicles and consist of a headquarters and service company and four LAR companies. Each LAR company is equipped with 25 LAVs (including 14 LAV-25, two mortar, four anti-tank, one command & control, three logistics, and one recovery variant).

https://www.marines.mil/Portals/1/Publications/MCRP%205-12D%20Organization%20of%20Marine%20Corps%20Forces.pdf

« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 08:41:23 PM by John »

pjm20

• Crew
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2020, 09:01:25 PM »
Good info @John . It seems that GCEs of MEUs are a battalion sized task force based on a infantry battalion with platoon sized attachments of armor. Even with this reduced size, it would probably be still 2-4 full trains. 1-2 for vehicles and 1-2 for connexes.
Peter
PRRT&HS #8862
Live Steam Enthusiast