Author Topic: Big Al Mayo Monster Railroading Weathering Contest With Cash and Prizes  (Read 3170 times)

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2427
Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1242
    • Modutrak
Mad props for figuring out how to get 20 cars weathered for a low price!

Iain

• Crew
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +346
    • The Best Puppers
This dude is actually getting me excited to work on model trains.
Thanks much,
Mairi Dulaney, RHCE
Member, Free Software Foundation and Norfolk Southern Historical Society

http://jdulaney.com

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8552
This dude is actually getting me excited to work on model trains.

Al's a good modeler.  He's building a huge new layout based on modern-day California.

160pennsy

• Crew
  • Respect: +183
I could not make it thru the whole video but this contest, the rolling stock, cars that he will send you & prizes seemed to be HO Scale centric. Didn’t see N Scale rolling stock or heard any mention of it...am I off base?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 07:26:39 PM by 160pennsy »
Paul Ohegyi
Current Member
https://nrmrc.org/

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8552
I did not make it thru the whole video but this contest, the rolling stock & prizes seemed to be HO Scale centric. Didn’t not see N Scale rolling stock or heard menti9n of it...am I off base?

Al's an HO guy.  It crossed my mind to throw my hat in, but modern standard gauge in HO isn't my bag.  That said, I bet you'll see some killer weathering come out of this contest.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
Al's an HO guy.  It crossed my mind to throw my hat in, but modern standard gauge in HO isn't my bag.  That said, I bet you'll see some killer weathering come out of this contest.

Maybe @davefoxx will let you do some of his.   :D
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785

Maybe @davefoxx will let you do some of his.   :D

Easy now.  There's an L&N Geep in the header rotation that shows I have weathered something, and I weathered a plate girder bridge on the layout this past weekend.  Coincidentally, I just received some Monroe Models weathering washes and chalk last week.  Oh, and remember me?  I'm the guy with stinky Rustall.  :P

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

chuck geiger

• Crew
Watch one of his recent construction videos where he amps up over Code 100 vs. Code 83 in HO.
Chuck Geiger

160pennsy

• Crew
+2
Watch one of his recent construction videos where he amps up over Code 100 vs. Code 83 in HO.

Not a big fan of his “amped up” style. Same goes for “Its my railroad (Steve Brown)”. While they are free, have decent subscriber numbers and large fan base, IMHO their on screen personalities, excessive hand movements and other weird actions distract from the model railroading content. If they spent more time editing the videos w/clear close up in focus video segments, some generic background sound track, simple graphics with short sentences, mix up the shot angles so the viewer stays engaged...again this is my viewpoint and critique. The free YouTube model railroad channels that I prefer are: Luke Towan, Jason Jensen, Kathy Millatt (minus the miniature cartoon Kathy skits at the end), and some others I can’t remember right now .... your mileage may vary
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 07:48:52 PM by 160pennsy »
Paul Ohegyi
Current Member

jpec

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Perception and reality engage in a daily civil war
  • Respect: +171
I hear ya, Pauly...some of those guys are like the old Crazy Eddie commercials years ago. I like those folks you mentioned and I like Marklin of Sweden and a young fellow named Callum Wilcox (SDJR7F88) on YouTube. Very laid back and excellent modelers, Callum tends to discuss his plan, tell you what he's using and show the results vs a full blown tutorial but that dude has some skills. He was on a team that made it to the finals on the Great Model Railway Challenge  on British TV and has parlayed his skills into a  full time gig with Peco and has done work for Hornby in the past.

Jeff
"trees are non-judgmental, and they won't abuse or betray you."- DKS

chuck geiger

• Crew
This fellow is my new favorite:
Chuck Geiger

160pennsy

• Crew
I hear ya, Pauly...some of those guys are like the old Crazy Eddie commercials years ago.

Jeff

Hey Jeff (did you & your son belong to NVNTRAK?)...just trying to place a name with a face. Yes...Crazy Eddie used to act exactly the same way in his TV commercials. It’s funny that you bring up that connection since you would need to be of a certain age to remember Crazy Eddie AND had to have lived in the NY Metro area to have seen them regularly on TV. During my college years in CT, I actually applied for a job in their service dept (@ their Brooklyn HQ - a whole other side story) and then ended up getting hired. Worked part time afternoons & nights for a few months. Working there was just like their commercial....CRAZY !!!

Paul Ohegyi
Current Member

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Hey Jeff (did you & your son belong to NVNTRAK?)...just trying to place a name with a face. Yes...Crazy Eddie used to act exactly the same way in his TV commercials. It’s funny that you bring up that connection since you would need to be of a certain age to remember Crazy Eddie AND had to have lived in the NY Metro area to have seen them regularly on TV. During my college years in CT, I actually applied for a job in their service dept (@ their Brooklyn HQ - a whole other side story) and then ended up getting hired. Worked part time afternoons & nights for a few months. Working there was just like their commercial....CRAZY !!!

I remember Crazy Eddie's stores during my stay in northern New Jersey in the late '70s.  I even bought an audio cabinet there.  His "Christmas in July" ads were INSANE! :-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crazy_Eddie
. . . 42 . . .

jpec

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Perception and reality engage in a daily civil war
  • Respect: +171
Sure did.

Hey Jeff (did you & your son belong to NVNTRAK?)...just trying to place a name with a face.
"trees are non-judgmental, and they won't abuse or betray you."- DKS