Author Topic: Best Of Scratchbuild Project - Van Iron Woodchip Cars  (Read 20059 times)

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3527
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
Re: Scratchbuild Project - Van Iron Woodchip Cars
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2020, 01:27:42 AM »
I would be lost without that N Scale square; I use it all the time and not just for measuring.  All of the websites which list it show as Unavailable so I would agree that they are no longer available.  Mine was handed to me as a sample while at a show in the U.S. years ago.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

jpf94

• Crew
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2020, 07:31:33 PM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/N-Scale-Model-Builders-Framing-Square-Ruler-3-85-x-2-98-Stainless-USA/153966156439?hash=item23d9191a97:g:vYEAAOSwVOtetYP6

Not sure if direct links are allowed, but this one is from a different manufacturer and shows available on ebay.

I plan to order one on payday.

Joe

Steveruger45

• Crew
  • Respect: +524
« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2020, 07:43:20 PM »
I got the exact same one about 6 weeks ago.  Recommended.
Steve

BCR 570

• Crew
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2020, 09:44:25 PM »
Good to know an alternative is available.  This type of model work is much easier with the right tools.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
  • Respect: +153
« Reply #79 on: July 31, 2020, 01:05:28 PM »
Sent a query to see if they will ship to Canada.  The listing says they do not.

Doug

mark dance

• Crew
  • Respect: +1279
    • The N Scale Columbia and Western
« Reply #80 on: July 31, 2020, 01:26:12 PM »
Please let us know.  I am down for one if they are willing to make an exception...

md
Youtube Videos of the N Scale Columbia & Western at: markdance63
Photos and track plan of of the N Scale Columbia & Western at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27907618@N02/sets/72157624106602402/

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #81 on: July 31, 2020, 01:45:53 PM »
I didn’t know these things were so hard to find.
I’ve got a couple made by ZONA, stainless steel, made in the US.  Part #37-434
If I remember, ZONA was/is a competitor of Exacto.

I just looked up ZONA and they’re still in business and it’s still the same part #.
I’d bet ZONA is available through Hobby Shop distributors.
Now admittedly it doesn’t have N Scale measurements on it but that’s why I have Scale Rulers.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 01:51:29 PM by wazzou »
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

jpf94

• Crew
« Reply #82 on: July 31, 2020, 04:48:25 PM »
Sent a query to see if they will ship to Canada.  The listing says they do not.

Doug

I can order them to my place and send them up if you wish.   

Joe

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
« Reply #83 on: August 01, 2020, 01:01:18 PM »
I had a couple of people offer to buy one and send it to me but their cost for postage is more than that of the seller.  So, I guess I'll bite the bullet and order one myself.  I really do want one of those.  Thanks to those that offered.

Doug

BCR 570

• Crew
« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2020, 01:45:58 AM »
+4
Assembly!  (Part 1)
The time to assemble the parts into actual models has arrived.  As each step will require most of my blocking tools, assembling six cars will take some time as I wait for each glue joint to dry.  Once again, the parts for each car comprise an underframe, 'A' and 'B' ends, left and right sides, and false floor as seen here:

I use angle blocks purchased from Micro-Mark to assist with assembly of parts.  These are so useful that I should probably consider purchasing some more.  In these photographs you will notice that I labelled all parts clearly with the car number, 'A' and 'B' end, L and R side, etc.  so as not to mix up any parts or install them incorrectly.  I started with the four cars from the first series, and I began with adding the 'A' end to the underframe.  After applying glue to the end of the underframe, it was positioned against the 'A' end and everything was blocked in place:

After an hour, the underframe is then turned around and the process is repeated with the 'B' end:

While the top of the underframe was still accessible, I marked the centre two inches where the steel weight will be situated:

Four support blocks for the false floor are cut from .125" x .156" styrene.  These will support the floor just above the steel weight.  The .125" height was a little shy (actually less than .120") so I glued these blocks to a strip of .010" x .156" to ensure clearance above the weight:

After the glue has dried, the blocks are cut apart and trimmed in preparation for installation:

During test fitting I observed that the sides are a little lower in height than they need to be.  I decided to rectify this by adding a strip of .020" x .040" to the bottom side sill:

The side was jammed against an aluminum strip, with a steel rule underneath the sill addition in order to hold it in place while the glue dries:

The left side is placed upside down against an aluminum block and it is held in place with small angle blocks at each end, a steel weight in the centre together with a large styrene block to support the underframe in the centre during this step:

After applying glue to the left side of the underframe and ends, this assembly is brought in upside down and placed against the left side waiting for it:

After checking the alignment of parts at each end, two medium size angle blocks are brought in against the right side of the assembly to apply gentle pressure against it:

More to come!

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2020, 12:38:48 PM »
As mentioned previously, I elected to go directly to the seller on ebay for one of those modelling squares.  The seller agreed to send it to Canada so I ordered one.  Total cost, including postage, is about $33 CDN.  I ordered the square on July 31st.  I've followed the tracking online.  It was mailed on August 1st.  it arrived at a "postal facility" in San Francisco on August 4th.  Up to and including today, it hasn't moved since.  I fear that with the post office slow-down in the US having to do with the potential for mail-in voting ballots, this thing may never show up.  Fingers are crossed, however.

Doug

Dredgeboater

• Respect: +3
« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2020, 03:42:40 PM »
To All,

While following the thread of scratchbuilding the woodchip cars (kudo's to Mr Tim) I read about the framing square and indeed, the Creative Horizon's model is unavailable.
Fortunately the link to an Ebay vendor, led me to purchase a toll from him, all through our daughter's Ebay account.
Would you believ, that the seller posted the package on the 3rd of August (from the westcoast of the USA) and my daughter handed me the package on the 8th of August, she did get it a day or two before that! In The Netherlands (Europe that is)

And yes, both seller and our daughter made this a very happy model railroading Dad........

Dredgeboater

It is better to be roughly right, than to be exactly wrong.
And when you do what you did, you will get what you got......

BCR 570

• Crew
« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2020, 10:47:56 PM »
+2
Assembly (Part 2)
With two ends and one side now added to the underframe, I added the four supports for the false floor - one at each end, and one on either side of the steel weight to keep it in place:

The weight is slightly narrower than the underframe, so to centre it I installed a strip of .010" styrene either side.  Here is the first strip going in:

Now the steel weight is added - custom cut to fit inside the underframe and weigh 3/4 ounce or 21 grams (equivalent to three of the 1/4 oz weights):

Glue is applied to the four support blocks and the false floor is added.  This serves four purposes: 
1. adds to structural integrity
2. helps to keep the sides straight
3. hides the weight below
4. reduces the amount of chips needed to load the car!

The second strip of .010" styrene is added on the other side of the weight:

Now the right side goes upside down into the assembly jig, held in place with a steel weight but without the styrene support block as we now have the false floor installed:

After applying glue, the car is brought to the assembly jig and pressed against the right side upside down:

It is then blocked in place and left to dry for an hour:

After removal from the assembly jig, lower end sills are added made from .020" x .040" styrene:

A Micro-Trains #1023 coupler is brought in for a test fit, to ensure that the mounting surface is flat and that it will fit between the end sill pieces:

This completes the basic assembly of the four Series 1 cars.  The process for the two Series 2 cars will be a little different owing to the external dump door.

More to come,

Tim

T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

jpf94

• Crew
« Reply #88 on: August 16, 2020, 03:15:47 PM »
the false floor support on the ends also gives you a thick solid place to screw into for the couplers. 

Spectacular work!

BCR 570

• Crew
« Reply #89 on: August 16, 2020, 06:55:05 PM »
the false floor support on the ends also gives you a thick solid place to screw into for the couplers.

Spectacular work!

Yes indeed; placing them at the extreme inside ends accomplishes this, and also keeps the false floor supported at each end.

Thank you,

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca