Author Topic: Model railroad smells  (Read 7281 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pdx1955

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 687
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +477
Re: Model railroad smells
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2020, 01:05:04 AM »
0
I tried doing a direct sniff test with "Pumpkin Pie" scented fluid on an abandoned layout section- you almost have to have your nose the same distance from the ground as that a HO figure would be to smell anything. Don't know how long it would last anyway. I put some "Christmas Pine" scent in one of those nightlight wax melters - this is a lot lower temp than in a smoke generator but the idea to waft the aroma a bit versus trying to vaporize it - I'll report back.

Well, after less than an hour , I could smell the scent within 3-4 ft of the melter , so it looks like this could work.
Peter

"No one ever died because of a bad question, but bad assumptions can kill"

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19617
  • Respect: +6938
Re: Model railroad smells
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2020, 04:19:21 AM »
0
So I bought the coal scented smoke fluid... now how do I make it smoke?

peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35311
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6656
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Model railroad smells
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2020, 04:52:03 AM »
0
So I bought the coal scented smoke fluid... now how do I make it smoke?

Put it in your vaping device or e-cigarette, and smoke it baby!

Just kidding of course!
. . . 42 . . .

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26112
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11612
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Model railroad smells
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2020, 04:07:41 PM »
0
So I bought the coal scented smoke fluid... now how do I make it smoke?

Peer pressure is a tried and true method.

Bill H

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 820
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +178
Re: Model railroad smells
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2020, 04:20:44 PM »
+3
So I bought the coal scented smoke fluid... now how do I make it smoke?
Pour it on the DCC decoder...

pdx1955

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 687
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +477
Re: Model railroad smells
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2020, 04:29:34 PM »
0
You need a smoke generator . These have been sold by different  model manufacturers  over the years. You might want to see if you could find a MTH or Lionel part as those probably  are most numerous  domestically .
Peter

"No one ever died because of a bad question, but bad assumptions can kill"

randgust

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3263
  • Respect: +2982
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
Re: Model railroad smells
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2020, 04:36:25 PM »
0
Company I remember is Seuthe, did a quick google, still make them and Walthers has smoke-generating chimneys in HO for like $10

johnb

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1786
  • Respect: +969
    • My blog
Re: Model railroad smells
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2020, 07:14:02 PM »
0
Considering that my end goal is an electric powered interurban/freight railroad blocks from the beach, what would make the smell of ozone and sea air? Last night it smelled like flux, solder and whiskey.

glakedylan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1486
  • Gender: Male
  • Give Respect. Expect Respect.
  • Respect: +249
    • Justice Kindness Humbleness —Micah 6.8
Re: Model railroad smells
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2020, 07:17:52 PM »
0
essential oil diffuser as used in aroma therapy work well
but the cost is not always friendly
i am not sure how various oils, however, would work without
being diffused.
the watered down diffusion is what make it therapuetic
when used in that context.
i have heard that some people just place a small drop
on a light bulb.
i think that would provide more than sufficient scent but
i am no sure about the safety of such a method.
and, it is good to remember that most (if not all) oils
give off VOCs when heated.


sincerely
Gary
PRRT&HS #9304 | PHILLY CHAPTER #2384

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19617
  • Respect: +6938
Re: Model railroad smells
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2020, 08:15:54 PM »
0
The bottle has no real smell when opened so I'd guess it relies on being heated up.

Wonder if I could pour it into one of those Glade plug ins?

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19617
  • Respect: +6938
Re: Model railroad smells
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2020, 04:15:14 AM »
0
So like I said this stuff has no smell. I poured some in a Glade plug-in and didn't smell anything. Used it in one of those little dishes with the small candle under it didn't smell a thing. Put a flame right to it, not flammable, didn't smell a thing.

Did not try it in a real smoke unit though.

Think I got ripped off.  :RUEffinKiddingMe:

peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35311
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6656
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Model railroad smells
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2020, 05:38:21 AM »
0
So like I said this stuff has no smell. I poured some in a Glade plug-in and didn't smell anything. Used it in one of those little dishes with the small candle under it didn't smell a thing. Put a flame right to it, not flammable, didn't smell a thing.

Did not try it in a real smoke unit though.

Think I got ripped off.  :RUEffinKiddingMe:

Smoke unit gets high enough to evaporate the oil, turning it into oily "smoke".  I wonder if you could take a tiny piece of Kleenex, roll it up, let it soak the oil, then set it on fire (on some non-flammable surface).
. . . 42 . . .

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19617
  • Respect: +6938
Re: Model railroad smells
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2020, 06:11:22 AM »
0
Put a square of paper towel on it, soaked in. Lit the corner. Acted like a wick and only the edge of the paper would burn. Lit all 4 corners.

It did smell...  like burnt paper towel.

peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35311
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6656
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Model railroad smells
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2020, 06:34:05 AM »
0
Put a square of paper towel on it, soaked in. Lit the corner. Acted like a wick and only the edge of the paper would burn. Lit all 4 corners.

It did smell...  like burnt paper towel.

LOL!  I guess you would need a smoke generator unit to test it.  Um wait, how about sticking hot soldering iron tip in the fluid?  That might be hot enough to evaporate it.  If you have an adjustable temp. iron, not sure what to set it to. 700 degrees? Just be careful!
. . . 42 . . .

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7455
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Model railroad smells
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2020, 09:14:58 AM »
0
Sounds like you bought snake oil instead of smoke oil...
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net