Author Topic: C&O George Washington passenger cars  (Read 2983 times)

Ntrainz1

• Crew
  • Respect: +87
    • blog
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 01:10:36 PM by GaryHinshaw »

Kentuckian

• Crew
  • "This all started with Romans 10:9!" -Apologetix
  • Respect: +469
Re: C&O George Washington passenger cars
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 08:11:38 AM »
That particular consist is a few years early for my 1955ish era but all of the individual pieces still existed at that time, so I’m in! Never let the truth stand in the way of a good story. Now, how close is the latest run Bachmann Northern to a Greenbrier J-3A? Where is Ross Rowland when you need him?

https://archives.cohs.org/
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 08:19:22 AM by Kentuckian »
Modeling the C&O in Kentucky.

“Nature does not know extinction; all it knows is transformation. ... Everything science has taught me-and continues to teach me-strengthens my belief in the continuity of our spiritual existence after death. Nothing disappears without a trace.” Wernher von Braun

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 08:14:16 AM »
$269 for the seven car set.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +529
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2020, 08:21:51 AM »
So what were the colors before the colorful scheme? Pullman green?

Here's the train in '51 with some "streamline" equipment: https://cf.cohs.org/repository/archives/thumb/cohs/cohs-168.jpg

EDIT: it appears that it was pullman green with black roofs: http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/13/t/131518.aspx

Mark
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 12:09:09 PM by Mark5 »

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3047
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2020, 09:06:49 AM »
Not a B&O guy but that is really cool!

Kentuckian

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2020, 09:10:24 AM »
Maybe Micro-trains will do the tri-color scheme next. Eh, @Shipsure ?

“Nature does not know extinction; all it knows is transformation. ... Everything science has taught me-and continues to teach me-strengthens my belief in the continuity of our spiritual existence after death. Nothing disappears without a trace.” Wernher von Braun

altohorn25

• Crew
  • Respect: +3315
    • Mini Mod u Trak
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2020, 09:13:18 AM »
I'm not a C&O guy; what would one use for a locomotive for this train?
Nate Pierce
Modutrak - Wisconsin Division
www.modutrak.com

Kentuckian

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2020, 10:01:53 AM »
I'm not a C&O guy; what would one use for a locomotive for this train?

See reply #1. A 4-8-4 Greenbriar or a Pacific, depending on the era and train length. The Greenbriar would be for the later era and heavier trains.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +980
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2020, 10:19:31 AM »
I probably should not ask this question- I am sure that a lot of people have worked hard to make this happen- but....why not do 725 as a single window coach, since the "Imperial Salon" cars were single window coaches (albeit with fancy interiors and 1-2 seating when built)?  It is listed as a paired window coach in the ad linked by the OP.

MEA CULPA..... I made one of the cardinal mistakes in train identification.  I relied on a photo of a car taken some years later and some jotted notes in a book that identified the Imperial Salon cars as #725, etc.
Photo here: http://www.borail.org/images/postcard/large/725-2-lg.jpg
Note that the car in that photo is A "725" single window coach that is a modified Imperial Salon car (I suspect the "-2-" in the photo url indicates "second of that number").... BUT, it is not THE "725" of the time period of the original George Washington.  I am going to assume it was renumbered when it was modified (note that one vestibule has been rebuilt to add more passenger space).  Found a better source that identifies the original numbers of the Imperial Salon cars as 727-756.  The coaches that preceded them in numbers (I assume up to 726) were paired window cars.  Here is 716.

I apologize to the historical society and Micro-trains.  They had it right.

But maybe they will do a couple of the single window coaches in Imperial Salon numbers as an add-on to the set as those cars were also used on the George Washington (if my sources are correct on that point).
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 09:14:28 PM by thomasjmdavis »
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +987
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2020, 02:25:54 PM »
+1
Here's a photo of what looks a lot like a Bachmann heavy USRA 4-8-2 as the engine for the George Washington.   Note the profile of George himself under the bell.

George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

ChristianJDavis1

• Crew
  • I almost killed DKS.
  • Respect: +225
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2020, 07:56:38 PM »
Here's a photo of what looks a lot like a Bachmann heavy USRA 4-8-2 as the engine for the George Washington.   Note the profile of George himself under the bell.

I believe bachmann made this specific arrangement at some time in the past, but never again as far as I can tell. Image stolen from BLW.

- Christian J. Davis

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2020, 03:16:43 AM »

I believe bachmann made this specific arrangement at some time in the past, but never again as far as I can tell. Image stolen from BLW.

Yep.  One of 7 total USRA Heavy Mountains that went to C&O. There were 5 from the original batch in 1918 and 1919 with two more added in 1923.  Originally numbered 133-139 then renumbered to 543-549 when C&O did a major renumbering in the mid 20's.

Bachmann did a special version of their Heavy Mountain which sold out quickly and they never did another run.  I've only seen 3 or 4 for sale on Ebay in the last few years. They are definitely hard to find.
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

Kentuckian

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2020, 12:21:28 PM »
Yes, I forgot about the heavy mountain, since they were all scrapped by 1951 and therefore out of my era. If you do find one for sale, it will probably be priced more than the train; one would think it was brass instead of plastic.

asarge

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2020, 03:02:11 PM »
That is nice. Might have to order a set if I ever get full salary restored. The Mountains were built mostly to tkae the Passenger trains well, over the mountains. They did however get up to Cincinnati every once in awhile so that would be nice.

The Bachmann Heavies run quite well.