Author Topic: how to smooth out shapeways models  (Read 2024 times)

simsuper80

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
how to smooth out shapeways models
« on: March 05, 2020, 10:27:52 PM »
I find that no matter how much i sand (I could sand all day even), the model never seems to get as smooth as a manufactured car such as a kato superliner. are there any methods that can work on these models? I have heard of mr surfacer, but have never used it.

txpitmaster

• Respect: 0
Re: how to smooth out shapeways models
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 06:25:25 AM »
I sanded a water tower I got till it was relatively smooth.  Then I used a plastic putty knife and put a skim coat of bondo Glazing & Spot putty, sanded then wash rinse repeat until is was very smooth.  Took a bit of time but since its a prominent part of my layout it was worth it.

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3160
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 08:21:09 AM »
+1
I find that no matter how much i sand (I could sand all day even), the model never seems to get as smooth as a manufactured car such as a kato superliner. are there any methods that can work on these models? I have heard of mr surfacer, but have never used it.

@simsuper80 , I responded to your post on Facebook.  I spray my roofs with six coats of paint after light sanding with 220 grit.  I also keep surface details to a minimum to allow folks to properly sand surfaces. As an example the vents on this roof are Shapeways prints too that are applied after sanding the roof smooth.  Then six coats of Tamiya TS-6 matte black on there.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 08:29:47 AM by Lemosteam »

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 08:25:18 AM »
@simsuper80I spray my roofs with six coats of paint after light sanding with 22 grit.

I hope that's a typo with the 22 grit.  220?  Else I'm picturing using gravel to sand.  :D

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3160
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 08:30:14 AM »
I hope that's a typo with the 22 grit.  220?  Else I'm picturing using gravel to sand.  :D

Aye- corrected!  LOL!

simsuper80

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2020, 04:36:25 PM »
@simsuper80 , I responded to your post on Facebook.  I spray my roofs with six coats of paint after light sanding with 220 grit.  I also keep surface details to a minimum to allow folks to properly sand surfaces. As an example the vents on this roof are Shapeways prints too that are applied after sanding the roof smooth.  Then six coats of Tamiya TS-6 matte black on there.

I did in fact post on facebook! I also like hearing other peoples ways of finishing there models.

Dirk Jan Blikkendaal

• Crew
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2020, 03:21:31 AM »
+1
My way of solving this "problem".

On most of my 3D Shapeways prints there is no possibility to sand because of rivet and and other detail I cannot leave out in the design because its not possible to apply later  (John  Lemerise his solution is of course very good if possible).
To minimize surface/printing irregularities I use 4 methods:
1. If possible I divide the model into flat surfaces and have those printed face up. This helps a lot. Glue the parts together afterwards: can be done (almost) seamless.
2. Grit blast (alu) the prints (after cleaning in Bestine or similar) with an Air Eraser. Its a cheap and easy method discussed before on The Railwire. If you don't overdo this it wil hardly damage the surface detail  but removes all the "fuzzy white stuff"' and many "ridges"on the surface and in difficult to reach places.
3. Prime the model using Mr Surfacer Primer 1000 (deluted a bit) in a few thin coats; it does what it says: hide irregulaties.
4. Seal the paint and decals using Dullcoat (or similar). Also helps to smooth the appearance of your model.

This will result in an acceptable/smooth (in my opinion) surface/model. After the part/model is painted and Dullcoated you will have to get very close to notice irregularities, certainly witk black or very dark paint. Of course its never the same as injection molding but then you cannot get those nice railroad specific models which are ONLY available in 3D........ GOOD LUCK.
SANTA FE ALL THE WAY
1950-1960
ATSF N Scale Models

Dirk Jan Blikkendaal

• Crew
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 04:20:44 PM »
I forgot 1 (possible) solution.

Try to get your print using a Formlabs FORM 3 printer.....!

I think that especially for passenger car roofs and other reasonably flat surfaces this printer gives much better/smoother surfaces.
I only find small holes/rivets to be a less crisp.
Also the cleaning/painting process is much easier.
PLUS a lot cheaper print/machine!!!!
SANTA FE ALL THE WAY
1950-1960
ATSF N Scale Models

trainforfun

• Crew
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2022, 12:25:51 PM »
Interesting ,
 where do you buy "Mr. Surfacing" ???
Thanks ,
Louis

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2022, 02:11:21 PM »
Interesting ,
 where do you buy "Mr. Surfacing" ???

Just search for "mr. surfacer 1000" using your favorite search engine.  Most well stock hobby shops will have it for sale, along with amazon and likely eBay.  It is a type of a hobby primer/filler.  it is a part of Gunze Sangyo (CREOS) Japanese hobby paints accessories.
. . . 42 . . .

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8552
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2022, 02:32:15 PM »

Just search for "mr. surfacer 1000" using your favorite search engine.  Most well stock hobby shops will have it for sale, along with amazon and likely eBay.  It is a type of a hobby primer/filler.  it is a part of Gunze Sangyo (CREOS) Japanese hobby paints accessories.

LOL, reminds me of:

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2022, 06:00:09 PM »
It also comes in spray cans ..

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2022, 08:04:02 PM »

It comes in multiple viscosities too.  1000 is kind of a medium viscosity.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2022, 09:30:51 PM »
Repeated coats of Mr Surfacer and sanding.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net