Author Topic: Quick question re. posting photos  (Read 940 times)

Bob

• Crew
Quick question re. posting photos
« on: February 24, 2020, 07:08:18 AM »
Hi all - I have a quick question.  When I go to TRW and start looking at various threads without logging in, I can see a good number of posted photos, but then other photos are hidden, stating that guests cannot view attachments (or photos - I forget).  When I log-in I see everything.  The question is why is there this variability?  Is it the case that are you post a certain number of times your photos become visible to everyone whether they are logged in or not?  Thanks!
Bob

CNscale

• Crew
Re: Quick question re. posting photos
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 07:37:19 AM »
If the photo is hosted here at TRW, then it won't be visible to guests. If someone has created a post with a photo linked from elsewhere on the internet, it will be visible to everyone.

That's my understanding.

MK

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 08:05:07 AM »
Correct!  Externally hosted images vs. TRW hosted.

Bob

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 08:15:51 AM »
Ah!  That makes sense!  Thanks so much gentlemen!  Bob

mark.hinds

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 11:39:54 AM »
Actually, it seems to be more complicated than merely whether the image is Railwire-hosted or not. 

For example, on my layout thread, all remaining images are now Railwire hosted (I used the "General" category when uploading them all yesterday).  https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=28831.msg305681#msg305681  This puts a 1024-pixel-wide image in the body of the post, which can be expanded to 1280 pixels wide if clicked on.  I am able to view all such images in my layout thread, even when logged out. 

However, on some other threads I notice a bunch of smaller images aligned on the left side.  This type of image can't be seen unless logged in.  Not sure how/why those images are used instead of the in-line images I refer to in my above paragraph.  They may be "attachments", which I don't use, because I find the in-line images to be more aesthetically pleasing.  OTOH, Railwire's software may allow larger / more detailed attachments than in-lines. 

MH
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 11:50:20 AM by mark.hinds »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 10:19:50 PM »
Quoting https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=43673.0 :

Guests:
    -Have to put up with the side ads.
    -Can't view attachments (attached within the posts, but are able to view photos in the forum's Gallery)

I believe that is what the original question was referring to.  Guests (and members whoare not logged in) cannot see photos attached to posts, but if the photos were uploaded to TRW gallery and linked to a post, they are visible. And of course, externally posted photos will alos be visible to all.

As far as post attachments go, there are 4 ways to attach photos, and different people use different ways.  I also prefer "Inline full-size image".
But there are those other 3 ways which result in either a thumbnail or a text link.

I favor using the gallery for photos and linking them to posts.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 10:21:32 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 08:16:31 AM »
Sorry guys, I make things complicated to make @peteski break a sweat.

1) Attachments: must be logged in to see.
2) Gallery photos: can be seen everywhere (hence the watermark usage).

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 06:34:59 PM »
Sorry guys, I make things complicated to make @peteski break a sweat.

1) Attachments: must be logged in to see.
2) Gallery photos: can be seen everywhere (hence the watermark usage).

LOL Tom, I splained all this for you already - see the post directly above yours.  Sweat? No way! It's all cool dude! I'm your minion Bot, and backseat moderator, remember?  :D
. . . 42 . . .