Author Topic: Static grass applicator.  (Read 2758 times)

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
Static grass applicator.
« on: February 14, 2020, 09:28:18 PM »
This week I made a grass applicator.

It’s powered by a 9v and uses a negative ion generator I got on amazon. I designed it to use two sizes of hoppers so I could make more controlled applications.

Trouble is, it doesn’t really work.  The ion generator probably doesn’t supply enough static. When you put the ground pin close enough to the screen that they almost touch I get the tiniest little purple spark and it buzzes. It charges the grass but very little. Only a few stand up.

I’m thinking if harvesting one from one of those bug zapper racquets. I had one before and they created quite a spark. A nice big blue one that goes CRACK!  So it must make a lot more juice.

Any thoughts?

wvgca

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
Re: Static grass applicator.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 09:35:43 PM »
your final output voltage is -probably- 2000 to 3000 volts, not the 12,000 to 20,000 it should be .. there is very little to those things ...

craigolio1

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 09:50:00 PM »
your final output voltage is -probably- 2000 to 3000 volts, not the 12,000 to 20,000 it should be .. there is very little to those things ...

12-20000. Roger. Do you know if I’ll get that from the bug zapper?

wvgca

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 09:59:38 PM »
12-20000. Roger. Do you know if I’ll get that from the bug zapper?

not usually, 9,000 to 11,000 normally ... sufficient, but for smaller areas in general ..
yes, it will stand the plastic fibres upright, no it will not do a very large area ..

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4595
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 10:14:29 PM »
If it buzzes and produces continuous spark, it might be producing AC voltage (useless for this application).  You need a converter which produces DC high voltage.
. . . 42 . . .

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 10:46:01 PM »
I'll have to look this weekend to see if I kept the directions frame the Z Trains Grassinator I posted about in a similar thread from this week but it is a nice, cheap, hard worker.
Mine does have an AC plug with a wall wart and a rocker switch, also using a negative ion generator that if memory serves was purchased from Electronic Goldmine in Australia?
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

craigolio1

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 11:01:52 PM »
I'll have to look this weekend to see if I kept the directions frame the Z Trains Grassinator I posted about in a similar thread from this week but it is a nice, cheap, hard worker.
Mine does have an AC plug with a wall wart and a rocker switch, also using a negative ion generator that if memory serves was purchased from Electronic Goldmine in Australia?

I built this loosely based on one in a Luke Towan video. Pretty sure he got one from the same Aussie store. I just didn’t want to pay that much for it and also shipping. I guess the old saying you don’t get what you don’t pay for plays here.

Steveruger45

• Crew
  • Respect: +524
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 11:21:52 PM »
I made one from a bug zapper and a metal tea strainer.  It sort of works.   Then I just bought this.   https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F293367136464

Works great.
Steve

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2020, 11:30:48 PM »
My applicator is a bug zapper from Harbor Freight for $4 and a metal shaker for another $5.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2020, 02:47:37 AM »
My applicator is a bug zapper from Harbor Freight for $4 and a metal shaker for another $5.

Come on now, don't forget the other +/- $2 for all the other components.   :D
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2020, 03:01:20 AM »
Well yeah 2 D cell batteries.

I bought a new applicator, but I forget who made it. Can't really tell it's any better though.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2020, 03:49:08 AM »
+1

I buy stuff from them all the time.  They are in Arizona.
https://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/
. . . 42 . . .

Mark W

• Crew
  • Respect: +2125
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2020, 11:57:19 AM »
+2
I've built a couple of the bug zapper applicators.  They work ok; get the job done. 
Then one day I had the opportunity to pick up a Woodland Scenics Static King on the cheap.  I figured why not. 

Holy cow is it a world of a difference!   :o

I know it's hard to justify if you're only doing a small module, or diorama.  But if you have a decent size area to cover, I would seriously recommend going consumer. 

But wait, there's more!  The instruction manual for the Static King includes an INCREDIBLE breakdown and how-to of various grasses and technique. 
Seriously, check it out!  It starts on page 7:

https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/instructions/FS639inst.pdf

Contact me about custom model building.
Learn more about Free-moNebraska.
Learn more about HOn3-mo.

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2020, 03:15:13 PM »
But wait, there's more!  The instruction manual for the Static King includes an INCREDIBLE breakdown and how-to of various grasses and technique. 
Seriously, check it out!  It starts on page 7:

https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/instructions/FS639inst.pdf

That's the kind of product info that really makes me want to get one of those and try it out.   Nicely done, WS!

(Aside: now I know where Cody G. will be getting his material for his how-to articles for the next 10 years....  :trollface:)

Ed

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2020, 01:59:14 AM »
+2
@craigolio1

I saw your emails, and I figured I'll reply here.  I have not specifically messed around with static grass applicators, but I have messed around with high voltage generators that are used in them.

If some high voltage generator does not specifically mention polarity, then it is likely generating AC voltage.  But if a device is called "negative ion generator" the output will be polarized (since negative has to have positive on the other side).   Most of these devices are simple transformer-based devices.  If there is no high-voltage rectifier diode on the output, then the output is AC. If a diode is used, then you have a pulsing DC output. If a high-voltage capacitor is also connected after the diode, then we have filtered DC.  Those devices can be used as "negative ion generators". That is what is needed for static grass applicator.

You mentioned that one device you have will generator 20kV. That should give you rather large spark (around 1cm) if you bring the high voltage output leads close together.  That seems a bit of an overkill for static grass applicator, but if anything, it should work well.  Also, the photos of your "grassinator" do not show the screen (everything else is plastic). The screen needs to be metal.

As for your other questions, I would not use any higher input voltage than the one specified.  Also do not attempt to measure the high voltage using your DMM!  These are way higher voltages than the maximum voltage it can handle. You need to use special high voltage probe for measuring high voltages.  Be careful with high voltages!
. . . 42 . . .