Author Topic: Mid-Train DPUs on NS Louisville-St. Louis Line?  (Read 508 times)

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
Mid-Train DPUs on NS Louisville-St. Louis Line?
« on: February 12, 2020, 10:38:36 AM »
A new twist in NS operations on this ex-SOU line seems to have occurred on 1/1/2020. All of a sudden nearly all mixed-manifest trains moved one or two units back to two-thirds into the train when they used to run three or four on the point (only). I have not yet verified if trains are longer and/or there are now fewer trains overall. However, it does seems like NS's daily count is down, which draws the natural conclusion it's related to longer trains due to the operation change.

The magic date of 1/1 sort of smells like an operating contract revision, so some of you here with a better handle on the industry-side news may know something.

I'm interested in this from a "living with the railroad in town" POV. NS has a 10 mph curve here, so longer trains means more dwell time at the several affected grade crossings including a major-ish four-lane US-numbered highway. Longer trains - 10-12,000 ft intermodal especially - have been an irritation for quite a while, blocking crossings for 15 minutes or so, and that's provided the CN DS clears them across their junction without delay.

There's been dialog with the state about a grade separation on the four-lane and an engineering inquiry has been funded. Initial estimates are in the $20-25M range, and we all know this number will increase at execution. IMO this is extreme overkill when most of the problem can be mitigated with buying-up much less land (and displacing fewer homes) with a simple curve realignment allowing 20 mph. Also, increasing the transit speed improves things immensely through downtown, where an overpass with the current curve - I measured 14° - doesn't do a thing for anything other than the highway.

Anyway... if I can get confirmation about the operating change resulting in longer trains, I think I can get the city council's attention (again) that the problem is worsening and we might get more traction/leverage with the faster, cheaper realignment.