Author Topic: Altoona 2020 canceled?  (Read 978 times)

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
Altoona 2020 canceled?
« on: February 12, 2020, 08:12:56 AM »
I've heard from a few sources that Altoona this year won't happen due to the doubling of fees by the Jaffa Center.  Mike P. ( @Weekendnscale ) , can you confirm this?

I was going to start looking for hotels.  :(
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 08:15:09 AM by MK »

PennsyPride

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
Re: Altoona 2020 canceled?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 02:40:02 PM »
That is the latest I have from Mike. Spoke with him on Saturday February 8th. He has been working hard looking at many many venues but so far has not been able to secure an acceptable venue.   

MK

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 02:56:09 PM »
Ugh!  Very disappointing (not at Mike).  Can't believe Jaffa is upping the price that much.     :|

Shaggy170

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 03:16:30 PM »
Man, I hope the show is not canceled this year. That is always a fun show to go to plus all the railfanning and comradery with the different organizations just make it better. I heard the Jaffa did this once before with the upstairs auditorium. It was used the first year and had 3 large layouts but then the following year, everyone got moved downstairs since they wanted more money to use it.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 05:06:26 PM »
Sadly, this is a new fact of life with mid-sized venues. The "bridezilla" movement is behind it, with the seemingly unlimited amounts of money spent to create "our perfect wedding" driving prices up. I know this because I oversaw a medium-small venue. We were underpriced for the area, not quite understanding we were attracting all the folderol that came with weddings (roudy parties, hangers-on after the event was over, etc.) that in turn drove our costs up.

(Married for 30 years I didn't quite grok what a huge business weddings have become, until recently. It seems that local banks are now on TV promoting "wedding loans" for those insane tens-of-thousands it costs to stage the perfect storybook wedding with hundreds of guests. What happens if you default? They repossess the bride/groom? Take away the cake topper... and the refrigerator it's in?)

Fortunately we realized this before it got totally out of hand, and seeing that the "venue" part was not our primary business we shut it all down. A couple of other area venues suffered the same problem, and they weren't as fortunate to see the handwriting before it tanked their businesses.

Don't know this is the exact situation with the Jaffa, but I suspect it might be.

dougnelson

• Crew
  • Respect: +2064
    • PRR N Scale
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 04:13:43 PM »
I think many of us would be willing to pay more than the $10 participant fee if that would help.

MK

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 05:44:37 PM »
I heard Jaffa doubled their rates.  Don't if attendance would be able to cover it.