Author Topic: The 2-10-0 project  (Read 1708 times)

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +954
    • Maxcow Online
Re: The 2-10-0 project
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2020, 10:33:38 PM »
A Faulhaber 1016 + 4:1 gearhead is what I used for my I1s (Kato Mikado + extra wheelset + custom tender)
Even in a stock mikado, that motor gets quite warm after you run the engine for a while, even pulling a 20-car train.

With a 6v 1016, overdriven to 10 volts, the top speed of my engine is about 40 mph, which is good for a Penny I1s.
I did run it for a long time on a friend's layout once, with 90 cars on it, without failure.  But it did start to get pretty warm through the pewter boiler, even with the Faulhaber in it, which made me nervous.  I don't think I'd push it like that on a regular basis.

And for anybody reviewing all these options, realize that you can remotor a Trix 2-10-0 like John did, and put all-wheel-pickup tender trucks in it, and it will be a very respectable runner.  But if you want to run it on code 55 track, you will also have to grind down the driver flanges.  It's not an insurmountable task, just something to be aware of.  That motor John used in his example is a real
gem - low cost, low RPM, lots of power.  What's not to like?  You can harvest them out of old LL diesels from the 1990s.

John, I remember that project where you put the Kato drivers onto the Trix axles.  I had completely forgotten about it! It would DEFINITELY be worthwhile resurrecting and posting in here, as you did some very clever, talented work on it to make all that go back together.  I hope you post it here.

mike_lawyer

• Crew
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2020, 11:32:10 PM »
First step taken tonight - I removed the entire Kato Mikado shell.  I always forget how delicate that process is.  Next step - grind away the area for the 5th driver.

mike_lawyer

• Crew
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2020, 11:54:24 PM »
Started grinding away the frames this evening...will post pictures soon.