Author Topic: MTL Tie Loader in Z  (Read 1321 times)

Rivet Miscounter

• Crew
  • Respect: +363
MTL Tie Loader in Z
« on: January 29, 2020, 10:57:03 PM »
So, the (Z-scale) MTL UP Weather Gon and Tie Loader advertised the tie loader as a "Multimedia Kit, Cast In Color" while showing a yellow vehicle atop one of the gons.

This is what you actually get:
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Nailed it?   :facepalm:

I mean, yeah...gray is a color.  Looks like the N version isn't much better...I think they at least removed the support material from it, but not sure.
Doug

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
Re: MTL Tie Loader in Z
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 11:02:34 PM »
Wow!  SO that's a thing that happened...   :o

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1073
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 11:06:27 PM »
+1
I guess they should have stated that it was a Resin 3D Print. N scale version is the same but with a few of the parts injection molded.

But it really shouldn't change much with assembly. Just gotta be more careful handling it and make sure you assemble with non solvent adhesive.
-Al

Rivet Miscounter

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 09:45:53 AM »
I guess they should have stated that it was a Resin 3D Print. N scale version is the same but with a few of the parts injection molded.

But it really shouldn't change much with assembly. Just gotta be more careful handling it and make sure you assemble with non solvent adhesive.

The reality is, you're right.   I wasn't so concerned about it being a resin 3D print as I was getting hung up on their advertising it "cast in color"...and then just leaving it with the support material attached. (first impression was that seemed a little tacky, and lazy)

So it was a bit of an expectations thing combined with a bit of a first impressions thing.   The truth is, even if it was "cast in color", it would have eventually been painted.   The support material isn't unlike the sprues that injection molded kits utilize, and if that has to happen to keep interesting stuff coming in Z then so be it.  (I forget sometimes that being in Z is sort of like being in 90's N-scale....still the redheaded stepchildren--and the smallest market share--of the hobby)

I still think it could have used a communication...."hey, we're changing this up a bit."   And at roughly $12 street price after counting out the typical cost of the MTL weathered gons, I think they could have removed them from the support material, but again--I'll deal.
Doug

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1238
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 12:08:01 PM »
+1
I think leaving the suppers is actually a good thing. It’s a little more work for you, but it’s more durable in transport. I think there would be a lot more broken parts without the supports.

Rivet Miscounter

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 02:50:42 PM »
I think leaving the suppers is actually a good thing. It’s a little more work for you, but it’s more durable in transport. I think there would be a lot more broken parts without the supports.

Yes, as a resin or FUD model, that's probably a good point.   I don't believe there was any indication it would be resin or FUD before I saw that photo though. (assuming it is resin, as someone mentioned)   

I'm thinking there's probably an equally good chance that I break the part trying to cut it free from the supports.
Doug

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 04:00:56 PM »
+1
Looks like it was printed with either a Photon or a Formlabs printer in resin.

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2020, 05:32:00 PM »
+2
I just sent your photo to CNN and wrote "this is what people are eating that may have spread the coronavirus."

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1073
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2020, 06:14:08 PM »
I just sent your photo to CNN and wrote "this is what people are eating that may have spread the coronavirus."

mmm crunchy. The photo resin gives a good kick.
-Al

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2020, 01:56:24 AM »