Author Topic: The Western Maryland in Free-moN Modules  (Read 33266 times)

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
  • Respect: +1419
Re: The Western Maryland in Free-moN Modules
« Reply #120 on: January 09, 2021, 09:25:14 PM »
You are going to run stringers the full length beneath each rail, right?

Yep. They’re in the mail...

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5404
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #121 on: January 09, 2021, 11:46:58 PM »

I know I've seen pictures of a couple of mix and match paint schemes, but shouldn't the cab number be in Roman?

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
« Reply #122 on: January 10, 2021, 07:36:08 AM »
Yep. I actually back dated the paint job several years ago and there was a reason why I didn’t do the cab numbers at the time - maybe I was out of number - but I can’t remember. I’ll have to check my stash. While I’m at it, I could change the number to 146, which had the same trucks as the Bachmann model.

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
« Reply #123 on: January 10, 2021, 02:45:18 PM »
What’s the saying around here? Better modeling through peer pressure?

Now that I’m committed, I remember why I did change the number the first go around. There isn’t anything out there that’s right for the end numbers  :facepalm:

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #124 on: January 10, 2021, 02:58:57 PM »
Are they those Tichy decals?  They look pretty lumpy...

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
« Reply #125 on: January 10, 2021, 03:33:13 PM »
The ones I changed are microscale. The ones on the nose where painted on at the factory. I ended up scraping the paint off with an exacting knife!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 04:30:46 PM by PiperguyUMD »

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
« Reply #126 on: January 16, 2021, 02:48:47 PM »
+8
Lots of odds and ends this weekend. Trying to wrap up as many loose ends on the modules as possible in preparation for storage. With the my college semesters back in full swing, and more importantly, deadlines for my dissertation looming, having the modules set up is more temptation than I can resist.

On Long Run the temporary speeder shed has become a worthy placeholder. It received a shot of paint, some weathering and roofing. Did some scenery touch up behind the company house, and next to the bridge abutments. One of my stocking stuffers for Christmas was a few packs of Osborn Models telephone poles, so I got these planted and toped with MarkW's crossbeams w/clear insulators. I'm on the fence about stringing these with EZ line. I want to give it a shot, but I'm a little worried about how fragile these are on a mobile chunk of model railroad!

So here's the module as it stands. I recently discovered some footage of the area to the right of the stream, and I'm a bit off. But I think I'll leave it, as the end with the company house depicts the scene I was hoping to recreate. I feel like the area to the right does a good job depicting a generic Thomas Sub feel.

Not a ton of progress on Owings Mills. The strip wood I need to finish the coal trestle is MIA in the mail. But most of the work that I need to do here will be much easier to complete with it separated from the other modules - especially fascia. I'm happy with how its coming together though, and this is ripe to be another prime photo location.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 03:09:46 PM by PiperguyUMD »

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
« Reply #127 on: January 17, 2021, 06:47:56 PM »
+4
Well at least the cabinet works!

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #128 on: January 19, 2021, 10:18:21 AM »
Enjoy the break, and all the best on your dissertation.  Looking forward to how many more WM Mileposts get your outstanding treatment...  I'd like to cast my vote for the bridges at Ohiopyle, but whatever you do will be outstanding, I'm sure!
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
« Reply #129 on: January 19, 2021, 11:12:16 AM »
Thanks Lee! The next two will be a pair of 4' straight modules so I can turn my roundy-round into an oval. One will definitely be the 4th canal crossing, not sure about the other one just yet. I'm up for suggestions! That one needs to have a place to send some cars!

Not my pics, but lifted from wmwestsub.us for reference.

The entire scene can be seen in the top right corner here. In my time frame, there's a passenger waiting shed, a WM section house, the semaphores, and a tool shed. Lots of railroad goodies!

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1238
« Reply #131 on: January 19, 2021, 07:26:15 PM »
I think the CV  bridge might be a good candidate for that ..

https://internethobbies.com/collections/central-valley-model-works/products/central-valley-n-modernized-through-truss-bridge-w-walkways-kit

It depends how close you want to be. The CV bridge is a good kit, good detail, affordable, well designed, but its a Pratt truss. The bridge in the picture is a Baltimore truss. They're a development of Pratt trusses, but with added diagonals and half height verticals. Its straight forward to add these to the kit, but it is also a lot of work.

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
« Reply #132 on: January 19, 2021, 08:18:58 PM »
I have been eyeballing that kit and mulling over how to go about this for some time. First and foremost, when I select a scene for a module, I'm looking for one what requires as little compression as possible. The great thing about this spot is that I can model it with practically zero compression. I think the CV kit is a decent starting point, but the biggest issue is that it's 150' and as best I can tell, the prototype is 135'. Thats a valuable inch and change! I'll probably 3d print some things to be supplemented by CV parts. @garethashenden If you have any more info on these types of bridges, it would be really helpful.

Another reference shot with a better view of the vertical additions, lifted from wmwestsub.us

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #133 on: January 19, 2021, 09:58:42 PM »
Telling a guy with a 3D printer, and mad skills with it to boot, he can use a good enough kit make a close enough scene...  that's rich! :facepalm:

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
« Reply #134 on: January 20, 2021, 05:19:12 PM »
I'd start with this ..

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3722103/files

Actually, I'd give Kim a shout via email .. he might be able to mod it for you .. he provides the sketchup files as well .. yes -- I know its an arched bridge .. but all the required parts are there to be creative ..