Author Topic: AZL January 2020 New Items Part 2 - MAXI-I Sets  (Read 707 times)

ztrack

• Crew
  • Working to drive Z to all new levels!
  • Respect: +56
    • Ztrack
AZL January 2020 New Items Part 2 - MAXI-I Sets
« on: January 15, 2020, 07:06:36 AM »
AMERICAN Z LINE
January 2020 New Releases Part 2

Gunderson MAXI-I Sets – NEW TOOLING!

Gunderson introduced their MAXI-I articulated cars in 1988, with the first run lasting until 1990. During that time, 270 cars were built for railroads such as the Southern Pacific , Trailer Train, Maersk and Rail-Bridge. The cars could carry two 20’ containers or a single 40’ container in their well. A larger 48’ or even 52’ continuer could be positioned on the lower container. With the high demand for interrelation carriers to move 40’ containers, the railroads revised the design. In 2000, the BNSF placed new orders for these cars. Production of these cars continues to this day.

The cars feature metal chassis with etched metal details and add-on parts. The cars also feature AZL’s Auto-Latch couplers and roller bearing trucks. Containers are sold separately. The packaging includes slots for ten 40’ containers.

The first release is for DTTX / Southern Pacific. Four sets are being offered:

906501-1 DTTX (TT Logo / Southern Pacific) MAXI-I Set 73145
906501-2 DTTX (TT Logo / Southern Pacific) MAXI-I Set 73153
906501-3 DTTX (TT Logo / Southern Pacific) MAXI-I Set 73147
906501-4 DTTX (TT Logo / Southern Pacific) MAXI-I Set 73150

Containers are sold separately. Look for special ten packs of containers to be released shortly.

For more information on the sets, please see the video!

/>
Rob Kluz
Ztrack Distribution
Z, turning N on it's side since 1972
www.ztrack.com
www.ztrackcenter.com
www.ztrackresale.com

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Proactive advocate of truthiness
  • Respect: +254
    • Modutrak
Re: AZL January 2020 New Items Part 2 - MAXI-I Sets
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 03:30:00 PM »
+2
Nice hole to fill!  I'm just Dash-9's and Trinity 5161's away from BNSF 2008 Nirvana.
Mike

www.modutrak.com
Better modeling through peer pressure...

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +189
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 05:42:17 AM »
I'd love decals for this scheme in N, let alone factory decorated from Kato!
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

Rivet Miscounter

• Crew
  • Respect: +43
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 01:48:44 AM »
Nice hole to fill!  I'm just Dash-9's and Trinity 5161's away from BNSF 2008 Nirvana.

That's almost exactly my wish list as well. 

I would probably add Maxi-IV's to the list...while I hope to have a couple of HoboTim's sooner or later, it would be nice to have a source for the dozen or more I would like to have.  And also I would add 53' and/or 57' spine cars.

But having the Maxi-I's is a huge step in the right direction.
Doug

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Proactive advocate of truthiness
  • Respect: +254
    • Modutrak
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 05:20:26 PM »
That's almost exactly my wish list as well. 

I would probably add Maxi-IV's to the list...while I hope to have a couple of HoboTim's sooner or later, it would be nice to have a source for the dozen or more I would like to have.  And also I would add 53' and/or 57' spine cars.

But having the Maxi-I's is a huge step in the right direction.

Yeah, agreed on the Maxi-IV's being good models to have as well.  I have three sets from HoboTim and that helps fill in a Z train pretty well.  I'm only looking for a train length of 8-10 ft, and the Z's had articulated spine cars on the front so it's not all stacks.
Mike

www.modutrak.com
Better modeling through peer pressure...

Rivet Miscounter

• Crew
  • Respect: +43
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 02:06:22 PM »
Yeah, agreed on the Maxi-IV's being good models to have as well.  I have three sets from HoboTim and that helps fill in a Z train pretty well.  I'm only looking for a train length of 8-10 ft, and the Z's had articulated spine cars on the front so it's not all stacks.

Yeah, I'm probably ultimately looking at that same train length.  I may not have this perfect but when I was in N I was shooting for 30-32 "platforms" for about 14.5ft siding roughly. (for the "big one"/dream layout)  So I may end up backing off of that length some, but I'll also probably be looking at 3-4 full trains worth. 

There were pretty much 3 types of intermodal trains that ran my locale/era...one was stacks only, one was a combination of stacks and trailers, and then trailers only.  There were subtle variations of those too but that is the primary breakout.   Nowadays it seems like I never see a trailer-only train anymore, but the stack trains are oftentimes broken out between domestic and international.   

From a model railroad standpoint, my goal would be to run 2 trains outgoing and 2 incoming during a specific ops session.   I'm fine recycling the trains, so I would need at least 2, and 3 to model the 3 types of trains.   The 4th would give me just that much more variety and the ability to not have to recycle.   So that would mean about 20 multi-platform doublestack cars.  I'll probably end up with 6 or 7 Maxi-I's, and I have 3 drawbar sets currently in the works.  So that's where I came up with my estimate of 12 Maxi-IV's, (of course overshooting by one or two) and I currently have zero.   The real issue is that I would rather Tim focus on spine cars, as that is something that mfgs are generally reluctant to tackle.

Anyway, baby steps.   Having Maxi-I's is great.  Just wish my first one would show up already.   :? ;)

« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 02:46:32 PM by Rivet Miscounter »
Doug