Author Topic: SMD removal  (Read 1875 times)

Joetrain59

• Crew
  • Respect: +75
SMD removal
« on: December 21, 2019, 01:35:06 AM »
+4
Hi,
 I got this kit,  https://www.chipquik.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=220001
 delivered today. I needed to remove that dull, orange SM LED from a Bmann 2-6-0 headlight
 board, DCC version. This stuff worked great! Chip came right off as soon as I put tweezers on it.
 Just my 2ยข.
 Joe D

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: SMD removal
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 03:05:20 AM »
Nice find Joe! Very handy.
. . . 42 . . .

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 11:58:33 AM »
Whoa!  That's cool!

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 01:55:43 AM »
I put a new Micro Super Yellow-white LED (from Ngineering.com) on the little pcb for the 2-6-0 tonight. What a difference, in the positive sense.
 I know I have at least a few other loco's that need LED upgrades. The kit I bought gives me the confidence to do this now.
 Joe D

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2020, 01:43:56 AM »
+1
I revived this thread because this is a really handy product. Thanks again Joe!

I also wanted to mention that while Joe's link goes to manufacturer's online store, it is also carried by electronic parts distributors such as Digkey or Mouser electronics.  Just search for ChipQuik.  I'll be ordering it with my next order of LEDs from Digikey. That way I'll save on shipping costs.
. . . 42 . . .

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2020, 11:56:02 PM »
+1
I use it frequently/religiously now. Glad to always find a new tool for us.
 You're welcome Pete.
 Stay safe, stay home,work on trains.
 Joe D

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1762
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2020, 12:36:04 AM »
OK.
This gets my attention because I remove SMD parts often.

But I'm wondering, I already have a bunch of cerrobend - which is a low melting point alloy.
I seems to me I could use it.  The idea is that the low temp alloy dissolved and diffuses the original solder - which creates a new alloy that is still lower temp melting than the solder.

So I'm wondering if what I already have will work.
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2020, 12:38:57 AM »
OK.
This gets my attention because I remove SMD parts often.

But I'm wondering, I already have a bunch of cerrobend - which is a low melting point alloy.
I seems to me I could use it.  The idea is that the low temp alloy dissolved and diffuses the original solder - which creates a new alloy that is still lower temp melting than the solder.

So I'm wondering if what I already have will work.

I suspect that your low-temp alloy will likely work just as well as the ChipQuik stuff. But ChipQuik also includes flux and it comes in an easy to apply wire form (just like regular solder).
. . . 42 . . .

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +561
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2020, 11:07:44 AM »
I have never used this product, but I am interested.  I am wondering what happens when you want to mount a new SMD to pads that have had this technique used to remove an SMD that was there preciously.  Is there any problem with reattaching to those pads?

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2020, 02:04:26 PM »
+1
I have never used this product, but I am interested.  I am wondering what happens when you want to mount a new SMD to pads that have had this technique used to remove an SMD that was there preciously.  Is there any problem with reattaching to those pads?

You clean off the remaining low-temp alloy using flux and solder wick.  Then solder it back using regular solder. Whatever trace of the low-temp alloy remained on the pad will get mixed into the regular solder.
. . . 42 . . .