Author Topic: Classic Metal Works 1974-76 Buick Estate Wagon in N Scale?  (Read 8923 times)

cfritschle

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
    • N Scale Vehicle Association
Classic Metal Works 1974-76 Buick Estate Wagon in N Scale?
« on: December 19, 2019, 09:35:19 AM »
+2
While I was looking for more information on the CMW garbage truck and low boy equipment trailer that Wig-Wag LLC is showing will be released in March (http://wig-wag-trains-cart.com/vehicles-11/cmw-n-vehicles?Page=1&Items=12) I came across this announcement on Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/classicmetalworksfans/

For anyone that does not want to follow the link to Facebook, the posting date was November 15, and it states 1974-76 Buick Estate Wagons will be produced in HO with a March release, and N scale versions will follow in the summer of 2020. 

So the big question is, has GM has changed its position on licensing small vehicle models?
Carter

N Scale Vehicle Association
"For the modeler and collector of 1:160 scale model vehicles and equipment"
http://nscalevehicles.org/

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7961
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Classic Metal Works 1974-76 Buick Estate Wagon in N Scale?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 09:39:47 AM »
+1
Oooh! Finally some CMW vehicles I can use!!

Englewood

• Crew
  • Respect: +260
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 10:54:58 AM »
Those would be nice in N! I'd populate an open autorack with them.

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 12:18:25 PM »
It's nice to see the new CMW owners continue working on new tooling. I was convinced they were just going to use up the previous tooling and that's it.

I can see the garbage body being used for projects. I bet it will look good on a Mack B or R chassis.

And that Buick will see my collection.

If they did change the licensing, maybe we can see reissues of older GM models as well.

Either way, this is great news.

There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 12:18:35 PM »
Why not the '60 Ford pick-up? That would be a great addition to N scale as well and the could milk the cab on a light/medium duty truck series.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +982
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 01:00:26 PM »
Nice! Happy to see some new tooling. The low boy trailer is interesting...
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4193
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019, 11:31:07 PM »
While I was looking for more information on the CMW garbage truck and low boy equipment trailer that Wig-Wag LLC is showing will be released in March (http://wig-wag-trains-cart.com/vehicles-11/cmw-n-vehicles?Page=1&Items=12) I came across this announcement on Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/classicmetalworksfans/

For anyone that does not want to follow the link to Facebook, the posting date was November 15, and it states 1974-76 Buick Estate Wagons will be produced in HO with a March release, and N scale versions will follow in the summer of 2020. 

So the big question is, has GM has changed its position on licensing small vehicle models?

Isn't the GM restriction that the model has to be longer than an inch in length?  If the N scale model is longer than an inch (and those '75 Estate Wagons were big), then it would fall through the loophole. 
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Rasputen

• Crew
  • Respect: +273
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2019, 11:51:19 PM »
Hmm, a quick check of Wikipedia says that even a Chevy Chevette would be just longer than an inch in N scale.

cfritschle

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
    • N Scale Vehicle Association
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2019, 12:03:15 AM »
Isn't the GM restriction that the model has to be longer than an inch in length?  If the N scale model is longer than an inch (and those '75 Estate Wagons were big), then it would fall through the loophole.

Bryan,

The choke tube regulations can be found here:  https://www.cpsc.gov/Business--Manufacturing/Business-Education/Business-Guidance/Small-Parts-for-Toys-and-Childrens-Products

The applicable definition that prompted the licensing ban reads as follows:

What is a small part?

"A small part is any object that fits completely into a specially designed test cylinder 2.25 inches long by 1.25 inches wide that approximates the size of the fully expanded throat of a child under three years old. (See figure). See 16 C.F.R. 1501.4 A small part can be:
1.A whole toy or article
2.A Separate part of a toy, game, or other article
3.A piece of a toy or article that breaks off during testing that simulates use or abuse by children

If a small part fits completely into the cylinder, and the toy or product from which it came is intended for use by children under three, the toy or product is banned because the small part presents a choking hazard."

Perhaps GM is now satisfied that having the product labeled "Age 14+" resolves their liability concerns.   :?
Carter

N Scale Vehicle Association
"For the modeler and collector of 1:160 scale model vehicles and equipment"
http://nscalevehicles.org/

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4594
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2019, 12:11:09 AM »
Hmm, a quick check of Wikipedia says that even a Chevy Chevette would be just longer than an inch in N scale.

1" in N scale is 13' 4" in 1:1.  If Chevette is that long, or longer, then it is more than 1" in N scale.  :)
. . . 42 . . .

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4193
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2019, 03:51:26 PM »
+1
Perhaps GM is now satisfied that having the product labeled "Age 14+" resolves their liability concerns.   :?

That would be nice, as we need GM automobiles of all eras in N.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2019, 11:45:38 AM »
The test shots look promising. Hopefully a move away from some of the "globbier" models they put out in N in the past.

Will want one of the those Buick battle cruiser wagons (will they make us buy two in the same color? :lol:)

Mark

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3527
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2019, 08:19:02 PM »
The Buick station wagons are great news.  I agree with the comment about two of the same colour; would be nice to be able to buy a pair with two different colours, especially for a smaller layout.  I have gotten around this in the past by purchasing two sets with someone else and swapping one of the vehicles to get two different schemes.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4594
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2019, 09:19:59 PM »
The Buick station wagons are great news.  I agree with the comment about two of the same colour; would be nice to be able to buy a pair with two different colours, especially for a smaller layout. 

They have done that with multi-lacks in the past. Too bad they didn't earlier feedback from modelers requesting assorted colors in multi-packs.
. . . 42 . . .

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2019, 11:48:23 AM »
Can anyone tell me what makes the 1957 garbage truck "1957"?  The cab looks like one of their pre-existing 1954 Fords (flatbeds, etc, or compare to the pickup also shown in the link from @cfritschle http://wig-wag-trains-cart.com/vehicles-11/cmw-n-vehicles?Page=1&Items=12).  Did the particular truck body not come into being until 1957?

For a garbage truck, I probably can live with a 57, as I cannot imagine that the "correct for my layout" pre-1956 would be that much different.  A quick search shows that somewhat more primitive compacting trucks existed beginning in the late 1930s.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.