Author Topic: ESU sound file (select file) download problem  (Read 1034 times)

carlso

• Crew
  • Respect: +488
ESU sound file (select file) download problem
« on: December 13, 2019, 09:32:30 PM »
Just curious if anyone, besides me, has experienced problems downloading a file from ESU web site. I experienced this yesterday and day before. I was attempting to DL a select file for my SD60E but none of the files would load and I also tried some others but no worky.

Here are the events:
1. I opened my Lokprogrammer to check something and it advised of a new updated version which I promptly downloaded. It came across with no problem.
2. I then attempted to DL the sound files. Nothing, nada! !
3. I called ESU and spoke to Alec and he said they were not aware of any issues but he would check the website for problems.
4. Never did work, so after reading some input on TB regarding problem with 5.0.9 & 5.0.10 versions of the programmer, I did what had been suggested.

1. I uninstalled the 5.0,10 and reloaded 5.0.8.
2. Attempted a file load and no go.
3. I had been trying with Chrome.
4. I circumvented Chrome and used the MS engine and low and behold the file downloaded.

So, was it an ESU web problem or a problem with the latest programmer version, or a problem with Chrome? ? ? I think MS had an update recently that may have played havoc with Chrome? ?

Anybody else having problems similar to this or with the newest version of the programmer?

As always, have fun,
Carl

Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: ESU sound file (select file) download problem
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 09:37:01 PM »
Isn't the actual sound file downloading something that is handled by you manually in whatever browser you are using?  You go to the website and download a .esu sound file (just like you would download any file from the Internet)?  The LokProgrammer has no part in the download process.  If that fails, it is strictly a website/browser problem.

At least that is how my (now older version of) LokProgrammer worked.  Or does the new LokProgrammer itself now goes out to the internet and downloads the .esu sound file?

Or is the problem with the LokProgrammer failing to properly understand the manually downloaded .esu sound file?  I'm a bit unclear on what the problem is.
. . . 42 . . .

Steveruger45

• Crew
  • Respect: +524
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 11:11:19 PM »
I have had bad file downloads when I was using WiFi on occasions.  I just re-downloaded using a LAN hardwire connection to fix that.  Otherwise I’ve not had any issues in this regard and I use Chrome.  It might be a intermittent Chrome interweb issue. “Connectivity Issue” perhaps? as the I.T. People love to tell me at work when I get similar issues with our work programs. 

If I get issues with a connection on Chrome I go to Edge and use that.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 11:17:31 PM by Steveruger45 »
Steve

carlso

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 11:36:31 PM »

Thanks for the replies:

Steve - I did just what you have done, I used Edge and the file downloaded OK. No big deal now, I guess.

Petseki:

Yes, you are correct and I did not explain well. I knew that the Lokprogrammer had nothing to do with downloading the sound file. That DL was manually started direct from ESU website to my computer. I have done probably a dozen DL's using the Chrome browser with no issues.

As I stated above I had opened my programmer and it told about a new update available and yes, I loaded it. So when I had problem with the file DL's I assumed the problem was the new version of programmer. Did not think that out very well. I have reverted back to the 5.0.8 version of the programmer and bingo the files did DL. However, I used Edge and not Chrome.
 So it may be a Chrome problem.

Thanks again for your replies. Tomorrow I shall, as a test, upgrade the programmer to the new 5.0.10 version, once again, and try the file DL using Chrome. If it will not work, I will try Edge. I will post my results.

Carl
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

carlso

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2019, 06:07:44 PM »

It must be a Chrome thing.. I tried several times to no avail. However, when using Edge it works fine.

I did notice that using Edge and after agreeing to the ESU terms a small window popped up asking what I wanted to do with it, open or save. Nothing like that under the Chrome attempt.

Oh well, no big deal as long as I can download with Edge.

Carl
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas