Author Topic: JTC vs. Rolland: Fight!  (Read 2276 times)

JaxTerminal

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
    • Jacksonville Terminal Company
Re: JTC vs. Rolland: Fight!
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2019, 11:30:37 PM »
+4
Hi All,  JTC was made aware of possible counterfeit/look-alike 40’ HC containers a while back by a Railwire member & others.  We have had on-going ‘discussions’ with one of our OEM manufacturers (Rolland) for these 40’ HC containers, and they assured us that they were ‘seconds’ quality, sold unauthorized by a manager to an outside party.  Communications are continuing on this issue, as new information comes to be known. As many of you know, some of the Chinese businesses have a very ‘communal’ thought process in their factories, as evidenced by all the Apple products all over China. JTC does have written language in contracts intended to protect our specifications!
As has been pointed out to JTC, these look-alikes are not exact copies of JTC containers. They do NOT have the same level of detailed printing that we specify, do Not have the same magnetic system we specify, do Not have the PINS & Holes connection system we specify, and in the case of the 40’ HC, they do Not have NINE different Prototypically correct door styles, as JTC does. Still ……

JTC containers were(are) Led in Design by me (Steve), they were not copied from Existing Rolland containers, but totally new tooling, designed with many options as noted above. Rolland likely used the same Tooling designer to interpret specifications, so some similarities are possible.  If Roland has a new revised container, that has JTC features that were not on their old containers, then they have copied from JTC’s design specifications. Now of course, remember that Prototypes features can be the same, regardless of who Tools them. Rolland did have their own container style before they accepted work from JTC.

JTC works with Three factories in China (all three produce containers & other products), we have had no issues with the other Two, such as this example. None of these factories have the Research, informational access, design specification, and project management capabilities to produce detailed prototypically correct models, such as the JTC containers series with multiple variances in design.

JTC containers are sold through the established Hobby distribution system which supports and helps maintain and grow model railroading, and N Scale – We mainly sell to Distributors, who Sell to Dealers.

We would encourage everyone not to purchase anything counterfeit, or a ‘knock-off’ when they appear, as on the internet, from some Chinese web sources.

From JTC, 2020 will see many more, ‘never before in N scale’ models, and a continual expansion of our container series with a variety of detailed Tooling.  In Fact, Next week, will see the Release of Two, new container styles, and in Q1 additional detailed and road name specific detailed containers will be released.

BR,   THE JTC TEAM
Container Models Released as of 11-2022:
ALL NEW TOOLINGS: 53' 8-55-8 HC; 40' Standard 8'6": 40' HC; 20' Std; 40' Open/canvas top; 53' HC 6-42-6 sided; 20', 40' & 40' HC Flatrack containers; 48' HC; 20' Std Tanks; 20', 40' & 53' Chassis; 40' std SS & Panel, 40' HC Reefers; 40' Pwr Gen units!

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1326
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2019, 02:33:41 AM »
"Now of course, remember that Prototypes features can be the same, regardless of who Tools them."

That was one of my thoughts.  If two designers follow the same prototype, ideally, the results will be the same.  It's only the manufacturing details, such as your magnet system, that are not part of the prototype, that will differ.  Of course, in practice, both designers will probably make compromises, for various reasons, so the two results will differ.

Off topic, but THANK YOU for starting to make earlier containers.  My 1974 flatcars look a little bare with only a handful of 40 ft MT boxes, and some ancient Model Power 20 ft, for loads.  I have plenty of undec MT 20 ft, but finding prototypes, and then lettering, for them is difficult.  I realize that newer containers are more profitable, since they can be sold by the trainload, but hopefully the older ones will sell well enough to be worth your while.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 02:37:39 AM by nkalanaga »
N Kalanaga
Be well

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2019, 04:14:47 PM »
Thanks for the authoritative info Jax!

I was hoping these would be a good option for bulk containers, as retail pricing for JTC and Atlas (as well as MTL and others for that matter) are just too expensive if I need to equip a 100+ container train.

But MB Kleins has JTC containers at similar pricing to these - or about 30% off retail. The issues with the magnets and the IP you brought up make these new Rolland containers a much harder sell to me.

I will probably get a sample of the entire line just to mess around with as I did here. I just hope JTC keeps producing the more popular schemes that I need.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away