Author Topic: Atlas GP38-2 phase II  (Read 1360 times)

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +683
    • Skally Line Blog
Re: Atlas GP38-2 phase II
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2019, 08:30:26 AM »
+1
For the uninformed, what are the spotting differences between a Phase II and whatever ?

This may help...
http://trainiax.net/mephase-emdgp38-2.php
Karl
CEO of the Skally Line, an Eastern MN Shortline.

bman

• Crew
  • I gotta have more Conrail!
  • Respect: +72
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2019, 09:27:15 AM »
Hmmmmm Conrail. Time to send Atlas an email on what fuel tanks they'll be using. Since they are adding sound my question is would that require using the larger fuel tank? Do they put the speaker in the fuel tank area of the frame?(I've no recent Atlas loco's to check) Plus I've a small fleet of GP38-2's as it is. What's more tempting is ordering one of the Rock ones and patching it out P&LE.  REAL tempting. That will make the decision on how to paint the undec GP38-2 with no dynamics I have easy. Just paint it P&LE. I've been waffling back an forth for quite some time whether to paint it ex-ROCK patched P&LE or a nice P&LE paint for some time now. I could have used PC too. ;)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Has a degree in American History & Culture.
  • Respect: +2319
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2019, 09:27:23 AM »
Oh man, I've been hoping for and fearing this day for a long time.

I have some of the Walthers ones. They're probably now going in the "for sale" pile.

As some of you may remember, the original run of these things were one of my first punching bags due to the melty marshmallow fans and aforementioned sight glass issues.

If they fix those two things they're going to have real winners on their hands.

Not only that, but I'm also going to be cruising the future discount bins to get these mechs to swap under my existing GP38-2 fleet since these have the right fuel tanks (which is a big deal to mess with).

I can only hope they've invested the time and effort to get these right!

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +257
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2019, 10:02:58 AM »
Maybe @Atlas Paul  can elaborate.. but the horn placement in the drawing makes me fear they are not fixing the shell.

~Ian
Don't Neglect the Jewel Case!

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Respect: +451
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2019, 10:52:52 AM »
The flaws in the Walthers model aren't too difficult to fix.
I'm excited for more Soo Line numbers and proper(ish) CP Rail 3000/3100 series GMDD GP38-2s  :D
Not that I need to push Into the 1980s, but shiny object syndrome!  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 11:03:36 AM by Missaberoad »
Ryan in Alberta

ai5629

• Crew
  • Respect: +115
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2019, 11:32:01 AM »
Oh man, I've been hoping for and fearing this day for a long time.

I have some of the Walthers ones. They're probably now going in the "for sale" pile.

As some of you may remember, the original run of these things were one of my first punching bags due to the melty marshmallow fans and aforementioned sight glass issues.

If they fix those two things they're going to have real winners on their hands.

Not only that, but I'm also going to be cruising the future discount bins to get these mechs to swap under my existing GP38-2 fleet since these have the right fuel tanks (which is a big deal to mess with).

I can only hope they've invested the time and effort to get these right!

If the rerelease of the Walthers freight car models is any indication, the body shell will remain the same.  I suspect they will stick their GP38-2 sound mechanism under this shell.  It is already done (large fuel tank and all), so why invest the money in a duplicate mechanism.  I already have enough of the  second run Walthers mechanisms with small fuel tanks to put under my eight Conrail Atlas GP38’s and GP 38-2’s.  Thanks.

Jeff
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 11:35:46 AM by ai5629 »
Jeff Lopez

Rich_S

• Crew
  • Respect: +111
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2019, 01:15:33 PM »
Well my wallet is safe this month, but I have to wonder if Atlas has released the Bankruptcy Blue Rock Island GP38-2's, will the P&LE ex-RI units be following in a future run.

If you're watching @Atlas Paul

RI 4352    John W. Ingram    P&LE 2057    
RI 4353    Nicholas C. Manos    P&LE 2058       
RI 4354    Frank J. McGarr    P&LE 2059       
RI 4355    William M. Gibbons    P&LE 2060    

Here's a couple of low res photos of the ex-Rock Island GP38-2's on the P&LE.    

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
  • Respect: +143
    • ShastaRails.com
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2019, 01:18:25 PM »
Thanks for all the additional info. When I saw “new” my mind went to a completely new shell but I can understand using the walthers shell if that is the situation. Here is a great resource from mark4design on the versions of the GP38-2.
https://web.archive.org/web/20081119140949/http://www.mark4design.com/html/gp38-2_notes.html

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +1998
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2019, 01:55:20 PM »
+1
Thanks for all the additional info. When I saw “new” my mind went to a completely new shell but I can understand using the walthers shell if that is the situation.

You have to remember the context.  They are not lying - this particular model is "new" to Atlas. It has never been produced by them (since they  just bought the molds).  It is just a marketing scheme.  If instead of "new" they called it "re-release of ex Walthers, ex Life-Like model, with some improvements" would not have the same nice ring to it.  :D
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 01:57:00 PM by peteski »
--- Peteski de Snarkski

-"Look at me, I'm satirical!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm anal retentive!!!"
-"Look at me, I have the most posts evahhhh!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm snarky!!!!"
-"Look at me, I have OCD!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm a curmudgeon!!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm not negative, just blunt and honest!!!"

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
  • Respect: +143
    • ShastaRails.com
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2019, 03:47:50 PM »
Yes the word “new” is great for marketing and it’s factually correct but my mind just hoped for a new design from Robb Fisher’s excellent design work.

Steveruger45

• Crew
  • Respect: +131
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2019, 05:41:17 PM »
You have to remember the context.  They are not lying - this particular model is "new" to Atlas. It has never been produced by them (since they  just bought the molds).  It is just a marketing scheme.  If instead of "new" they called it "re-release of ex Walthers, ex Life-Like model, with some improvements" would not have the same nice ring to it.  :D

Yep I think you hit that nail on the head. Pete.
That’s definitely a -"Look at me, I'm not negative, just blunt and honest!!!" statement. :D
I can accept the lifelike/walthers shells but I was hoping for SP light clusters.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 05:44:00 PM by Steveruger45 »
Steve
Atascocita, Texas

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2019, 06:37:13 PM »
I have a feeling these will just use the current Atlas GP39-2 chassis and not adopt the short fuel tank version of the Walthers chassis. Which sucks for us Conrail modelers. Ed pointed out a few of the issues with the Walthers models:

1. Roof fans looked odd.
2. No sight glass.
3. Holes drilled into the roof for a winterization hatch that most prototypes did not use.
4. The horn was set about 12" too far back on the cab.

These certainly were not bad models and I actually prefer them to the Atlas phase I versions due to the fuel tanks being the right size. The fans were actually detachable (but why?) and could be easily drilled out and upgraded with BLMA or Trainworx parts. Sight glass was painted on the second and third runs. People may quibble, but the real one sat flush to the door and I think it looks fine. Paint on the Walthers model was stellar - like the minuscule gaskets around the class lights.

So if they keep the short fuel tank, I'll buy a few sound-equipped models. If not, I'll stuck to my current fleet.
'In my great and unmatched wisdom'

squirrelhunter

• Crew
  • Respect: +35
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2019, 07:20:10 PM »
I'm hoping Atlas tooled a new version of their old shell. The LL/Walthers ones are notably shorter that Atlas and IM -2 EMD's when you couple them next to each other, even if you take the shells off the chassis.

squirrelhunter

• Crew
  • Respect: +35
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2019, 07:24:46 PM »
Also, I'm disappointed Atlas didn't take the opportunity when designing the new sound chassis to allow it to take both long and short fuel tanks. All they needed to do was move the speaker back a little bit.

I hoped that they would upgrade some of the walthers tooling or tool new versions now that they didn't have to worry about Walthers undercutting a new model with a new run of old tooling. But if feels like they are kind of mailing it in with the Walthers tooling.

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2019, 12:27:59 AM »
I did notice that Atlas had the correct length fuel tanks on the artwork  - so maybe they did just modify the Walthers chassis to take a sound decoder?
'In my great and unmatched wisdom'