Author Topic: Atlas GP38-2 phase II  (Read 1362 times)

drgw12

• Respect: +14
Re: Atlas GP38-2 phase II
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2019, 09:13:28 AM »
They had the short fuel tanks in the artwork for the GP39-2 also but didn't do them. I got excited about them and pre ordered several ATSF ones but was quite disappointed when they arrived with the same dang long fuel tank as every other N Scale loco they have ever made.........

martin station

• Respect: +2
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2019, 09:18:34 AM »
     I would also like to see them put the door on the paper filter airbox compartment.
Ralph

ai5629

• Crew
  • Respect: +115
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2019, 10:11:17 AM »
Another issue with the Conrail units is the trucks.  The three road numbers they are releasing should have brake cylinders (Blomberg Type B) on both sides if the trucks.  The artwork shows one brake cylinder (Blomberg Type M) and one dampening strut.  Type B was on the first Life Like Conrail units, so the tooling has been done.   :facepalm:
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 10:14:24 AM by ai5629 »
Jeff Lopez

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Respect: +451
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2019, 10:23:39 AM »
@Atlas Paul I would like to repeat how excited I am to see these models back in production.

Hoping to see this scheme in a future run! I would buy 4 numbers in a heartbeat...

Ryan in Alberta

lock4244

• Crew
  • Ontario - tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax
  • Respect: +66
    • My train pics
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2019, 05:18:04 PM »
@Atlas Paul I would like to repeat how excited I am to see these models back in production.

Hoping to see this scheme in a future run! I would buy 4 numbers in a heartbeat...

They'd only be able to do 3021-3040, 3041 and above have the free flowing blower duct (laundry chute). That said, I'd definitely be in for a pair of multimarks.
Welcome to Ontario... we've got a tax for that.
My train pics:
http://tinyurl.com/62uk24
More here:
http://www.railpictures.ca/author/lock4244

Missaberoad

• Crew
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2019, 09:50:12 PM »
They'd only be able to do 3021-3040, 3041 and above have the free flowing blower duct (laundry chute). That said, I'd definitely be in for a pair of multimarks.

Very true, I should have included the appropriate 1983 built series. I actually spent most of today sitting in 3111 with the "laundry chute".

They're all in rough shape, but they owe CP nothing  the company got their money's worth 10 times over with what they put them through!
Ryan in Alberta

lock4244

• Crew
    • My train pics
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2019, 12:25:14 AM »
Very true, I should have included the appropriate 1983 built series. I actually spent most of today sitting in 3111 with the "laundry chute".

They're all in rough shape, but they owe CP nothing  the company got their money's worth 10 times over with what they put them through!

Interesting, 3111 used to be a Toronto based locomotive and a regular on the Havelock Sub between Toronto and Havelock, ON. Shot it many times in both ratty dual flags and in the post rebuild sans-rodent image. Also caught it on the Iron Highway when they were testing the concept in the 90's.
My train pics:
More here:

Missaberoad

• Crew
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2019, 06:34:38 AM »
Interesting, 3111 used to be a Toronto based locomotive and a regular on the Havelock Sub between Toronto and Havelock, ON. Shot it many times in both ratty dual flags and in the post rebuild sans-rodent image. Also caught it on the Iron Highway when they were testing the concept in the 90's.

We've been getting lots of old 3000/3100s for our local power lately, for the longest time we had all newer GP20ecos or SD30 rebuilds, but lately it seems we get whatever Alyth has laying around. Looking at the cab cards some of the units we've received have been out of service for a year or more...

I think because we are so close to Alyth we are low priority for reliable power  :facepalm:
We even have an old Soo 4400 series unit right now, my inner railfan wants it on my job, but I'm sure I would regret it  :D
Ryan in Alberta

bman

• Crew
  • I gotta have more Conrail!
  • Respect: +72
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2019, 11:58:33 PM »
Y
Well my wallet is safe this month, but I have to wonder if Atlas has released the Bankruptcy Blue Rock Island GP38-2's, will the P&LE ex-RI units be following in a future run.

If you're watching @Atlas Paul

RI 4352    John W. Ingram    P&LE 2057    
RI 4353    Nicholas C. Manos    P&LE 2058       
RI 4354    Frank J. McGarr    P&LE 2059       
RI 4355    William M. Gibbons    P&LE 2060    

Here's a couple of low res photos of the ex-Rock Island GP38-2's on the P&LE.    

I just stripped the paint off an Atas GP38-2 non-dyamic to paint P&LE2057. Atlas will announce the ex-Rock units right before I finish.  It's happened before.

lock4244

• Crew
    • My train pics
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2019, 01:36:28 AM »
We've been getting lots of old 3000/3100s for our local power lately, for the longest time we had all newer GP20ecos or SD30 rebuilds, but lately it seems we get whatever Alyth has laying around. Looking at the cab cards some of the units we've received have been out of service for a year or more...

I think because we are so close to Alyth we are low priority for reliable power  :facepalm:
We even have an old Soo 4400 series unit right now, my inner railfan wants it on my job, but I'm sure I would regret it  :D

SOO 4410 (white) is working locals out of London these days. It's one of only three SOO's running... several others stored waiting rebuild.

You should consider yourself lucky, I've a friend who is currently working locals in the golden horseshoe with GMD-1's and GP9RM's. He doesn't speak ill of the GMD-1's, but says the 9's are 'clapped out, can't pull anymore'. In the spring before bidding back to locals on the change, he was working the night freight to Kitchener and showed up at Mac one evening to find three GP9's and 7000t for Kitchener, lol. CN was tight back then, but now they're storing power and the trains get actual road units now.
My train pics:
More here:

Missaberoad

• Crew
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2019, 09:20:44 AM »
SOO 4410 (white) is working locals out of London these days. It's one of only three SOO's running... several others stored waiting rebuild.

You should consider yourself lucky, I've a friend who is currently working locals in the golden horseshoe with GMD-1's and GP9RM's. He doesn't speak ill of the GMD-1's, but says the 9's are 'clapped out, can't pull anymore'. In the spring before bidding back to locals on the change, he was working the night freight to Kitchener and showed up at Mac one evening to find three GP9's and 7000t for Kitchener, lol. CN was tight back then, but now they're storing power and the trains get actual road units now.

4413 is the one we have in Red Deer.

As much as I complain, I am really lucky. For the most part we have really good power and the cabs are warm and comfortable...

I hear the story's of guys wetting paper towels and sealing up the doors to keep the drafts and snow out. Wearing parkas the whole trip...
Or the old high hood Gp9s that blew air in the cab every time you set a brake...

Even the GP38s... Aparently they used to send them out of South Edmonton way over tonnage and they would reduce at Wetaskiwin... Then when things slowed down on the weekend they would start lifting that tonnage...

Pretty spoiled today with our comfy chairs and comfortable cabs...  :D

That being said it's still fun working on mountain grades with intermittent loading problems, cut out Traction Motors and no DB...  :scared:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 09:22:49 AM by Missaberoad »
Ryan in Alberta