Author Topic: BLI ES44AC issues  (Read 1458 times)

Hatchet

• Crew
  • Respect: +9
BLI ES44AC issues
« on: November 14, 2019, 06:15:56 PM »
Looking for any ideas with my BLI ES44AC. It’s always been a little sluggish, but now won’t move. It is making sounds, lights, horn, bell all work and the engine sound accelerates when the throttle is advanced, but no movement. Operating in DCC mode with an NCE Cab. Tried resetting CV8 to 8 but no change to the results. Thought I’d try here before sending back to BLI. It’s a year and a half old, so age isn’t an issue. Of course it’s over warranty. Thanks in advance for any help!

Mike C

• Crew
  • Respect: +144
Re: BLI ES44AC issues
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 06:55:29 PM »
 If I were you I'd do a decoder transplant .  Sending it back is going to cost time and money for a decoder that is probably going to crap out again . I recommend a Tsunami 2 , but others like the Loksound decoder .....Mike

Hatchet

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 09:40:55 PM »
Thanks, Mike. I’ll look into that and figure out how to make the swap.

Mark

rrjim1

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 04:25:53 AM »
Could also be a motor, wire or connector problem. "always been a little sluggish" points more to a motor problem IMO. I would make sure before going to all the work and expense of swapping the decoder.

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1720
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 05:19:24 AM »
I don't know if it's any better/different than writing CV8, but BLI locos also have a small "reset" button on the decoder itself.

-Mark

larry p mahoning division

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 09:07:21 AM »
Mine did the same thing and i was able to use a small screwdriver to push down on the reset button while turning the system on (See Manual).The shell was difficult to take off all the way that"s why i used the screwdriver.  Are you using a digitrax system? There may be function button that ramps the sound up but leaves the motor function off.

Hatchet

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 09:49:14 PM »
Thanks everyone. I’ll follow Mark’s instructions on his web site and try the reset button before I jump into decoder replacement route. My system is NCE, but I’ll check for an engine noise function. Thought CV8 might solve it. I’ll also look for the loose wire when I get the shell off for the reset.

Mark

Hatchet

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 12:58:00 PM »
Just wanted to add an update on this issue. I decided to send back to BLI and they replaced both the decoder and engine for me. Great communication and fast turn around from BLI, so am well pleased they fixed my problem.

Mark